The Stepford Sisters

January 24th, 2010

The Stepford Sisters - Family Portrait

They’re just so well behaved.

(submitted by Kristin)

231 Responses to “The Stepford Sisters”

1. Tim says:

“They’re creepy and they’re kooky,
    mysterious and spooky..”

2. Snowrider says:

I wonder if the Mom went running for the shelter of her mother’s little helper right after this picture was taken.

WOW!! Does anybody else remember the days when family pictures were taken at Church? We have one like this, circa – 1966. I was five years old and wearing a horrible bolo tie. WHY? I’ve NOOOO idea. Mom had a beehive hairdoo that we used to hide Easter eggs in. There were all five of us kids there…all looking like the people in this photo.

• Candy says:

I totally remember the church photo. We would get a “family portrait” and then mom and dad would get individual photos taken for the directory because they were on various committees. One year my dad looked SO hungover in his piture (because he was). Mom would make a dress for me to wear every year in the photo and the one that sticks out the most was a purple and white gingham pinafore apron with ruffles that were about a foot long. I think that was during my “Holly Hobbie” phase.

• Skipping Lunch says:

Ah yes, another church directory photo!
      I remember posing for one, and I, out of habit put my hand on my dad’s arm. The photographer told me to take my hand off there because “we don’t touch each other when we take pictures in church.”

Actually, now that you mention it, perhaps Church directory photos ought to have a category of their own on this site.

For some unknown reason it was an unwritten rule that for those pictures, you were expected to dress at your most conservative and then the photographer posed everyone all stiff and stilted.

Because we must look reflective of the presence of God in our lives, I guess.

3. Uncuw Biww says:

this portrait should be in a creepy movie. Their eyes…kind of FOLLOW you.

4. Spinner says:

The middle daughter is my favorite, that little rebel is bending her fingers.

5. bmj2k says:

I think the boy in the middle is actually a ventriloquist’s dummy.

6. Dawn says:

actually, I think the picture is kinda nice. BUT it does look rather like they kept trying until they had a boy!

7. Ellen says:

Well, I think it’s sweet. The girls are tickled at being all dressed up with their hair done in a grown-up style. The boy with his flattop and bow tie also feels all grown up. Mom and Dad are so proud!

8. durhay says:

why … won’t … these … wigs… come .. off?

9. Ida_Slaptem says:

The “Nuclear Family” of the early 60′s. (Dad was the only one in a radiation suit thus saving his pigment)

10. Caryn says:

That little boy looks like he’s probably got a frog in his pocket.

11. Sashilly says:

The middle girl only looks creepy because her brother has just peed down her back!

12. Coyoty says:

The boy’s haircut makes him look like Herman Munster with horns.

13. Noneya says:

Looks like Mom used the Toni Home Permanent on all of them.

14. Another Mike says:

The miracle of motherhood – see how much she loves them?

15. Shirl says:

creepy.. you just know that these kids rebelled badly in some way when they got older.

16. Mel says:

Middle girl is a total rebel. Not only did she have the audacity to NOT be blonde like her sisters, she has her fingers bent into what may be a semblance of a fist, which, along with the slight downward tilt of her head, seems to say “I will kill you in your sleep…”

BTW – roller sets on little girls, even in the time frame of this photo, should be punishable by death. I was given a perm and roller set when in grade school and I still remember the feeling of all those eyes on me as I walked into my classroom with my Laura Petrie helmet hair. (And no, no photos of that hairdo exisit, so I won’t be sharing with all y’all…)

17. bdubz says:

That one in the middle…make her stop staring at me!!

• SlackJack says:

She’s from the Twilight Zone episode “It’s A Good Life” where Billy Mumy is the little boy that turns people into toys. That’s why everyone is so happy in the pic. “Don’t tic Jane off again. Remember what happened to Bobby. Now we just prop him up for the family photos…. Bobby was such a nice boy.” Dad looks like the drunk at the end that gets sent to the cornfield after the Jack-In-The-Box Incident.

18. pamela says:

the boy’s hair!!! and those teeth hahahah the teeth .. oh no this one is way to good

19. Braden says:

I love ‘em! looks like a fun family … look past the fashion

20. Annabell says:

Anyone else feeling extremely sorry for the little brother there? I can just imagine the three of them trying to dress him up in girls clothing. Poor little guy.

21. Dan Brennan says:

I get the feeling Dad is going to tell me what cigarette he smokes for the full aroma and flavor, and the boy is going to chime in with “Gee Dad that’s swell!” … as Mom takes the girls off to the kitchen to show them her latest Betty Crocker desert.

22. Ginitas says:

ha ha ha…………. Gilly? Gilly? Gilly, did you blow up Dan’s science project?………Uhhhh Sorry!……………anyone watch Saturday Night Live…that one in the middle looks just like a younger Gilly from the sketch on SNL LMAO!

23. tarra says:

Those girls remind me of Lawrence Welk parodies on recent episodes of SNL. Where’s Eunice?

24. Connie says:

That one in the middle, I’m sorry, looks positively evil.

25. Dawne baird says:

I don’t think they are creepy at all. I think they are adorable! Lined up like little ducks, maybe…but, creepy? No. uh uh.

26. Lori says:

Like mother, like daughters with that hairstyle! I bet they used plenty of Dippity-Do and that pink tape. (I just aged myself!!)

27. CB says:

That is honestly one of the freakiest pictures I’ve seen…..

28. glass cactus says:

I’m in love with the Jan in the picture!

29. wvufan says:

Is this the cast photo of some failed sitcom? Or a promo for an episode of the Twilight Zone?..note creepy shadows and malevolent grin on middle Stepford girl.

30. Franzwoman says:

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Please say those are wigs!! And I’m totally skeeved that the dad is the only one with any skin pigment.

31. dennylou says:

Were they born looking like they were already 40 years old? Maybe it’s a cloning experiment from the early 70′s.

32. Tracie K says:

LOL this reminds me of pictures of my sister and I. My mom used to do her hair like that. I had it a little, but not much luckily.

33. Brian says:

I don’t find this awkward or creepy in any way. They look like
    genuine smiles to me. Surely because a photo is dated can’t be reason
    enough to call it awkward.

34. Katherine says:

Aw, this is kinda sweet. Think about how much time their mother spent on their hair!

35. Marc says:

the little girl in the middle…scares me bad!

36. Four kids, four buttons on the dresses, four corners of a neatly folded hankie in a pocket and a super, cool-as-can-be, skinny tie. What a timepiece! Looks like about 1962; I think I wore my hair the same way as those girls.

Also love that flat top crew cut on the boy. What Mad Men!

37. heaven7 says:

I think Mom only knew how to do hair one way…her way!

38. TomareUtsuZo says:

I think it’s pretty nice. Ur just letting ur cynicism get to you.

39. How much you wanna bet those sisters are still sporting the same hairstyle today? :D

40. jakesmom says:

The one in the middle looks like she is up to no good…

41. Jeff B. says:

meet the Stepford Children…

42. Chris says:

That middle one really creeps me out. I think it’s the height of the bangs on the forhead and the way she’s sort of looking both down and out. Are they wigs?

• EdieKay says:

Dollars to donuts, that they are perms! That was the trend then, and your hair had this same mass-produced quality after a night spent on rollers.

Those were the days!

43. molley says:

I don’t think the girls hair style is that bad…however the little boys “flat” head looks odd…..

44. Tom Henry says:

I don’t know….that one in the middle looks awfully sinister to me.

45. anne says:

They’re so cute. They remind me of Hayley Mills in The Parent Trap (especially the oldest daughter).

46. Hope says:

The one in the middle is the evil one. How do I know? Call it middle child intuition.

47. virginia says:

Someday I wonder if my kids will grow up and look at our pictures and laugh. I think we just do what is normal in that day.

48. pecosita says:

They all have Haley-Mills-in-the-Parent-Trap hair!!

49. Martok says:

Gah! That is amazingly creepy. Gives the heeby-jeebies just looking at it….

50. KR says:

Creepiest. Photo. Ever. Seriously, they all look like Patty Duke or Ward Cleaver. Ewww.