Bag Lady

January 26th, 2010

Bag Lady - Halloween

Some of us are mommy’s little ballerina and some of us are mommy’s little bag of groceries.

(submitted by Alex)

85 Responses to “Bag Lady”

1. Mr. SisterConBlister says:

Shameless product placement!

2. Anna Keizer says:

It’s the real-life version of Welcome to the Dollhouse.

3. pinkolina says:

the little ballerina is so cuteeeee!!! but the bag lady has to go

4. Shelly says:

I have to admit, I was once a “Bag Lady” for Halloween.. Picture the above costume but with a black garbage bag, filled with newspaper so it looked Full and actual garbage. Cereal boxes, a can whatever else she could find fairly clean taped to the outside of the bag..

Thank god my mom was never a Picture taker so there is no evidence of this to show the world!

5. Ahmie says:

If any of the neighbor houses get TPed, you know who is going to be the first one blamed…

6. dime666wife says:

What you all failed to see is that the younger of the two is NOT a ballarina.

She is a pot scrubber……..duh!

7. Anna says:

NOT AGAIN… I said get a HEAD of LETTUCE, Roy!!! Not a girl’s head. What’s wrong with you?!

8. Molly says:

The little girl in the tutu totally steals the picture. She is hilarious!

9. Jack says:

In Soviet Russia, the bag carries you!

10. teehee says:

haha she has Grapes on the top of her head!!

11. Juls says:

the caption is perfect!

12. Bruce says:

The older girl told her mother she wanted to be something different for Halloween. Her mother said, “paper or plastic?”

13. Melissa says:

I had to go as a book (a large cardboard box with holes in the sides for my arms) one year when I was about 8 or 9. It had something to do with trying to raise money for a new library (which was all detailed on the “cover” of the book). I just remember it being dang hard to hold a candy bag!

14. Uncuw Biww says:

the costume is a bit awkward but it’s not one of those YIKES photos…i think the grocery bag idea is kind of original and intersting!! if a bit stiff and uncomfortable….

15. Sousou says:

Oww ! A garbage can costume ! What a wonderful idea !

16. Sharon says:

Where’s she supposed to put her treats?

17. carol says:

That little girl is so cute!!

18. Boppie says:

What’s awkward is that this mom thinks it’s OK to include a toddler in a tutu in a typical bag of groceries…she’s part of the costume, people?

Ba-dum-bump.

19. susan says:

That’s a great idea for a costume!

20. bmj2k says:

I never get coupons that good at my grocery store! I got a free roll of paper towels once, but never a free kid.

21. Andy says:

After trick-or-treating big sis will use the eggs to egg the old lady’s house who handed out pennies.

22. Mick says:

So I must be the only one who noticed the ghost just to the left of the little one? Now that’s awkward.

23. Vin says:

I actually think this is pretty awesome! But then I dressed up as both a paperclip and a laundry basket in my years, so…xD
    They did this one really well! I wonder how they found such a large bag, maybe they made it.

24. Dan says:

that’s not awkward, that’s awesome! what a cool, creative costume!

25. durhay says:

The grandfather is that wal-mart greeter with the plastic bag costume.

26. emblitz says:

I’ve never seen this costume before but I like it! Creative, inexpensive and cute, exactly what a homemade costume should be. Kudos to mom, but I do agree with Jen, armholes would be a significant upgrade in a trick’or treat situation.

27. andi in NC says:

They both look so happy – what a great pic (I would love to pinch those chubby little legs!!). I agree that the only thing the grocery bag needs are front arm holes (oops…) Probably one of those things you don’t think about until you actually put the costume on. Extra points for the receipt hanging out of the grocery bag – nice attention to detail.

• RBX says:

Agreed (about pinching the chubby little legs and the attention to detail with the receipt)! I also like the fact that this picture is clearly a little dated, so you can see what the package was on still-familiar products (like Jet Dry)

28. Dianne says:

great idea – I also like the jelly bean idea rom another poster. I was grapes one year – purple balloons blown up.

29. Paul says:

It looks like the little one is EXTREMELY excited to go get some Halloween candy! Cute!

30. Brent says:

Is it just me or are the pics in general trending more toward “family” and away from “awkward”? This looks like something out of any random family photo album. Yawn.

• Sidekick says:

awkward because it’s a good concept for a costume but very awkward and dangerous for trick-or-treating. She couldn’t move her arms and I’m sure it was very awkward to try and keep her balance. One little stumble and “timber” down she goes!

31. Candy says:

The look of pure joy on the ballerina makes my heart happy.

32. Christina says:

The caption makes it funny!

33. LAURIE says:

I wouldda made my kid as a head of cheese at least…lol ;)
    Cute and creative costume.

34. Jen says:

No arm holes? What an uncomfortable costume!

• girlknees says:

Her arms come out the bottom. I imagine a box inside over her head with the groceries on just her shoulders and the paper extending above the box. I’d rather be jellybeans though.

35. pittipat says:

I can’t rag on this for I too was once dressed as a bag of groceries by my mother. Fortunately I don’t think any photos exist. I do have a pic of *my* mother dressed as a bag of groceries from when *her* mother dressed her up. Hmm…occurs to me that my family is “awkward”. :)

36. eli says:

WIN. Best costume ever.

37. Cindi says:

And then the bag of groceries splits open (like they always do) and the items hit poor Ballerina girl on the head!

38. joci says:

that is incredibly sweet!!!

39. Lindsay says:

Never trust a bag of groceries.

40. Carlos says:

The kid in the bag can hardly see over all those groceries. This photo is more adoreable than awkward.

41. Sarah says:

i think it’s cute

42. JessicaP says:

I have nothing snarky to say.. this is a great idea for a halloween costume and just made me nostalgic for the days when kids actually MADE their own costumes. One year, I was a bag of jellybeans — picture a big clear garbage bag filled with blown up balloons and you’ve got the idea.

• Eccho says:

So true. I’m pretty sure parents are more likely to just go out and spend 50 odd bucks on a costume in a bag rather than make their own. My mom made all our costumes, and I think we were much more “awkward” for it, but it fun! I think one year my brother was a circuit board (he’s now a computer programmer), and I was a home-made parrot, with wings and feather-bedecked green sweatsuit (and now studying to be a vet!)

I’m pretty sure I’ll be using this costume for any future kids of mine…such a cute idea!!

• carol says:

You had awesome parent’s! I went as a ghost one year (sheet with holes cut out) and one year as a cow girl with a hat and a bandana. Whoopie! You had creative folks.

• Shelly says:

My brother was a Domino once.. Basically a Box covered in Tin foil with black cut out dots on all sides..he was 5, the best thing was it was snowy that year and he slipped and fell and literally couldn’t get up. if you have ever seen “A Christmas Story” picture randy yelling “I can’t get up”

That year I was a Mummy, torn up bed sheets that all came unraveled by the time I got to the second house~

• Nicole says:

Hey, don’t blame parents if they aren’t creative! Some just aren’t. Or don’t have the time. (Not that I’m sensitive or anything…)

43. Don says:

Great outfits. Obviously Mom grocery shops where I do. This is a fine example of how Jeremy sacks on register #5. When I insist on paper, he insists on using one bag no matter how many groceries I have.

44. Noneya says:

That pic isn’t awkward. It’s adorable. Great idea for a costume for the older one and the little one is so sweet you could just eat her up.

• Lemuel says:

It doesn’t look awkward to me either. Cute maybe, but the definition of awkward has slipped a lot.

• PromisedPlanet says:

Yep. Not awkward. Another AFP =FAIL=.

• Denise says:

Oh come on, you guys. You really don’t see awkwardness in the fact that she’s all crammed up in that bag with what basically amounts to trash all around her neck? And then her awkward hands just grasping blindly at her little sister (who got to be a ballerina, no less). How’s she gonna get any candy without hands?? It’s cute, it’s creative, but also awkward :)

• DAT says:

Nope, not awkward. Cute.

• Laura says:

I think the awkwardness in this picture comes from the baby’s face, looks kind of like she’s afraid big sis is going to knock her over!

Whose that comedian who says you can always tell the younger sibling, because they flinch a lot? ;)

• KH says:

awk⋅ward  /ˈɔkwərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [awk-werd] Show IPA
        –adjective
        1. lacking skill or dexterity; clumsy.
        2. lacking grace or ease in movement: an awkward gesture; an awkward dancer.
        3. lacking social graces or manners: a simple, awkward frontiersman.
        4. not well planned or designed for easy or effective use: an awkward instrument; an awkward method.
        5. requiring caution; somewhat hazardous; dangerous: an awkward turn in the road.
        6. hard to deal with; difficult; requiring skill, tact, or the like: an awkward situation; an awkward customer.
        7. embarrassing or inconvenient; caused by lack of social grace: an awkward moment
        8. Obsolete. untoward; perverse.

Me thinks some folks take things a little too seriously

45. Cassie says:

What else would you put on a ballerina’s feet besides moccassins ?

46. Lucy Mae says:

Starting her life as a bag lady early I see!

47. Ellen says:

Oh great costume! I’ll be her mother had a lot of fun helping her with that.
    The only problem is that there’s no way to break her fall if she tripped over a stair or her little sister. (I speak from experience.)

The little ballerina is cute, too.

48. Spoonmom says:

I think that’s adorable and a clever costume!

49. amy says:

Super creative costume, but how’s she gonna hold a trick or teat bag with her hands sticking out the bottom? Or maybe the whole costume is the trick or treat bag!

50. Kasey says:

Poor kid. She had to dig through the garbage can to make her costume!!