Behind the Awkwardness: Chillin’

February 5th, 2010

Our (my brother Mark and I) goal in life was to be cool and nothing says cool like lounging on a car wearing a shirt from Wal-Mart before your “vacation” to the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center 45 minutes away from your house.  Just check out the awkward goodness in this photo:

The Mullet.  This was a compromise between my mother and I.  She wanted me to have Mary Lou Rhetton hair and I wanted long hair like my classmates.  The result?  Feather-backed mullet goodness.  That’s not a perm!

Blue Mirrored Clip-On Shades.  I wore glasses, nice thick black with pink splatter glasses.  I loved them but I, again, wanted the cool shades of my peers.  Enter the oversized blue, mirrored clip on shades that would make any state trooper jealous.  I wanted the ones that flipped up, but they were too expensive.

The Dick Tracy Shirt. Again, in a vain attempt to look cool, hip and in the know, my brother and I desperately wanted a Dick Tracy shirt.  I’m pretty sure we had the Nintendo game too.  Confession: I’ve never seen Dick Tracy.  I just had the shirt.

The Yellow Socks. All the cool kids had colored socks!  I always wanted colored socks, but was only allowed white.  When we got the Dick Tracy shirt I knew it was my chance!

The Wrist Pouch. My brother was on the go, and by on the go, I mean playing with the tool bench behind us.  So what’s a boy to do with no pockets in his red short shorts?  Easily wear the 50 cents papaw gave you on your wrist.

(submitted by Kelly)

Tags: ,

240 Responses to “Behind the Awkwardness: Chillin’”

1. Jester says:

Thanks for sharing! You easily pegged my attempts for coolness as a child of the 80′s. LOL! Superb!!!!

2. Tunguska Mon Amour says:

Going to the premiere of Megaforce?

3. NotMe says:

I was a awkward red head of the 80′s with a brother named Mark and we lived 45 minutes from Huntsville. Totally had to do a double-take.

4. Lucinda says:

I had the same compromise with my mom over the hair! I can’t believe that she allowed her little girl to obliviously walk around with a mullet. Pictures are mysteriously absent from that period of life…

5. Sarah says:

I almost DIED laughing not only at the picture, but our submitter’s well-crafted description. One of the best ones I’ve seen!

6. Autumn says:

Woo Space and Rocket Center! I live like 15 mins from there, I took my little brother there last week xD

7. Carrie says:

Kelly, your description of the picture had me rolling. Seriously. I think I love you.

8. Emily says:

This perfectly sums up my brothers’ childhoods as well!!
    Heck, you may have even seen them there- for I live just right around the corner from the Space and Rocket Center. Which was obviously the hotspot of Huntsville. -(Oh let’s be honest, there’s nothing else to do even now!)

• Carrie says:

Kelly and Emily, I live in Georgia, (we’re neighbors, haha!) and we were always going there for school field trips. That was one of our “big” field trips, with a charter bus and everything! :)

9. Kristin Ward says:

I am laughing so hard I am crying! The explanations were priceless!!

10. laura says:

i had all of these in the girl version….a girls dick tracy shirt that said “ok, boys, let’s go” with him talking into his wrist watch, the neon pink wrist pouch and neon pink socks that turned your shoes colors the first time you wore them…you are only missing a slap bracelet! lol

11. Livvy says:

I can’t quite identify exactly why, but the ‘Behind the Awkward’ story is hysterical! Probably because you might have been talking about me and my siblings, the description is so uncanny. The ’50 cents Paw Paw gave you’ was especially LOL inducing. The funniest people are the ones that can laugh at themselves.

Be honest, you had a Batman tee shirt, too, didn’t you? And acid washed jorts that you wore with tube sock? Or was that just me?

12. Joanne says:

I have tears in my eyes from laughing… I could hardly continue reading. Superb.

13. BigMamaAJ says:

You say 45 min to the S&R ctr…Where you from? I’m in Decatur, & I had the same wrist pouch in Neon Pink!! Even had all the colored socks to match my t-shirts that I wore to school…..What were we thinking?

14. ALP says:

I think I have that same T-shirt!!! lol!