Safe

May 15th, 2010

Safe - Babies

Dad thought they would warm up the baby’s room.

(submitted by Kevin)

83 Responses to “Safe”

1. Smartazz says:

Dad: telling the baby to repeat this prayer after him…..This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

2. Rory says:

Wow, the Mafia trains their new family at a very young age, indeed.

3. Vince says:

This gun is too heavy.
    And this gun is too light.
    …and the baby gun was JUST RIGHT!

4. CarolTheArtist says:

When we grew up kids would stand up on the front seat of the car as it was moving (“I’m king of the world!!”), attach a wagon to the back of a car unbenownst to the driver, and catch a little ride through the neighborhood (at 25 mph in a little red wagon), and dig forts under the snow drifts that could have collapsed at any moment… found a big long vine from a tree, over a cavern area and swung on it for hours… and somehow here we are with all our appendages attached. Now those guns on the wall don’t seem so dangerous, huh?

5. John says:

I had guns in my room most of my childhood. Nothing wrong with it in my mind. Well… At least I didn’t see a problem with it growing up… I’m not so sure I’d put guns in my boy’s room – though if I lived in the country and it was a normal way of life I wouldn’t have a problem with it. This society has gone way down in the ‘outhouse’ anyway – so I keep mine locked up.. Out of site out of mind – mostly meant for adults… Kids – though mischievous and nosy can be taught not to touch. Adults can’t.

6. WEndy says:

My dad had two gun racks, a holster over his bed post with a pistol, a shotgun beside it. He also a compound bow, and a crossbow, ammo for everything of course, and razor sharp points and the practice type for the bows. He had knives galore, a civil war and a WW11 bayonet. Heck, he even had a blow gun! Authentic… brought back from wherever by a friend of his, complete with darts and the little wicker type ball that held the poison for the darts…
    I am still amazed that my brother and I survived our childhood…

7. Dave says:

Why does a baby need an alarm clock?

8. jenniep54745 says:

im sorry but the only thing that bothers me is that the guns are upside down

9. John S says:

Looks like he’s gettin da kind stahted in da family bidness, ya know? Fughedabowtit, da kids fine.

10. Missy says:

A simple “Brinks” sign may have scared away anyone – but three guns do the trick too.

11. Jules says:

part of the baby nursery essentials range… babies first gun…includes rack and baby bullets (not seen) LOL

12. Cc says:

Is it just me or does that baby have glowing red eyes?? lol I’m glad i was not sleeping in the next room!

13. Dennis Eldridge says:

heh, the dad looks like he’s making baby an offer he can’t refuse. Or explaining about the finer art of leaving the gun and taking the cannoli (spelling?)

14. Henny Bogan says:

At least one of those in a Browning A-5. Good man.

• david says:

The shotgun is an old remington 2 3/4 inch 12 gague with variable choke. Great for duck hunting in the days before steel shot.

15. Nivlac says:

Maybe the guns are to protect AGAINST the kid…he looks like his head is about to spin around. Maybe they need an exorcist?

16. Heather D says:

If the cigarette won’t kill ya the guns will!!

17. lori says:

It kind of looks like a little baby Jack Bauer complete with arsenal. Would explain so much on this season’s 24…

18. kim says:

Back when “child Safe” was very different!! Wow, that seems safe. Let’s hope mom and dad don’t upset the baby!!

• Amy says:

“Child safe” meant that the child couldn’t damage the fire arms. Heaven forbid you screw up the sights :)

19. coNNie says:

guns check
    “leash” check
    cigarette (maybe) check
    sun deficiency check
    lead paint check
    unsafe crib check
    flammable pj’s check
    petroleum fumes (Dad’s hair) check

probably grew up just fine or…..

20. agatheringstorm says:

I think there’s a slight optical illusion: the back of the crib isn’t against the wall.

The guns are upside down due to the barrel/magazine being the heaviest part of the gun, and the center of gravity makes it much more stable to store the guns this way.

21. Tiffany says:

Well If the guns won’t get the kid the drop-side crib painted with lead paint will

22. durhay says:

Someday son, you’ll be a member of the Pharoahs! Get your own carcoat and everything!

23. wreck says:

“Now I want you lay down and go to sleep — don’t be wakin’ up our pet cougar.”

24. Angie says:

“I said I would convert my den into a baby room, but I’ll be darned if I give up the guns!”

25. Ahh, sweet, soulful memories of early childhood/toddler-era exposure to firearms.

What’s not to love?

26. Bruce says:

I know son, you are afraid of the monster in the closet. Well, that is what the rifles are for!

27. Kazz says:

This is a straight-outta-Mad-Men, “Seemed Like A Great Idea At The Time” slice of Americana. I love the awkwardness!

And, yeah…let that kid see the light of day for a few minutes!

28. Sarah says:

I’m trying to figure out why all the guns are upside down

29. V. says:

My dad’s gun rack, complete with ammo, was hanging in my two little sister’s and I’s room… my bunkbed was right in reach of it, as well as his longbows. Also, the fusebox for the house was in there. And the walls were moldy.

30. Hannah says:

The lead strap (not leash, people) indicated that Dad most likely was a coon hunter. He has rifles, one of which is a 22 caliber, perfect for plunking coons out of the tops of trees. Could have been my family in this picture. Love the 1960s Waylon Jennings hair and the cigarette between his fingers.

31. carol says:

The caption under the photo is hilarious!

32. Mark Reynolds says:

Dog Leash?…I’m thinking it’s a fly swatter…

33. jnmcnally says:

Yet the kid is behind bars. Go figure.

34. Nomad says:

Say hello to my little friend…

35. Mary Jane says:

awkward… VERY awkward… whatthe..?.. hmmmm speechless..crazy..

36. The red-eye clinches it.

37. Crystal says:

Why does the baby look so ghostly pale?

• Pilgrim says:

I was thinking the same thing. Red rings around eyes+super pale? Yikes!

• RMC says:

Can’t you see how CONCERNED the dad is by keeping all the guns and a leash (which the baby can pull and bring the entire rack down) by the crib? How could they EVER expose the child to such to harmful sun rays!!!!! LOL

• Crystal says:

Yeah I thought that was what the caption was applying to at first. The baby looks like it’s in the first stages of hypothermia!

• Vin says:

I was wondering about that too…It could be partially the lighting/camera flash, but still.

• Missy says:

Because the fourth gun is in the crib.

38. Christopher says:

No one backs baby into a corner…no one.

39. Sally says:

“Safe” is what those guns need to be locked up in, especially with kids in the house. I hope they turned out to be the only things Junior never tried to stick in his mouth.

• George says:

My father kept a pair of guns over his bed, along with a box of shells for each. As the youngest of 9, we never played with the guns. I think it comes down to parents being responsible to teach their children about firearms safety.

• Onyx says:

I am so sick of everyone whining about guns in a house. It isn’t the gun, it is the lack of parenting that kills! If you teach your children about gun safety, the chances of an accident go down A LOT! I was raised around guns, and was taught from early on that it was NOT a toy! Now I have guns of my own. I am a member of NRA, and a gun advocate. I am very pro gun, and am sick to death of you anti gun nutcases who want to take away our right to protect ourselves. And for the record, you are more likely to get killed by a car accident then a shooting. Are you going to push to make cars illegal now?

• weshays says:

Amen

• CarolTheArtist says:

My Dad’s an NRA member and owns many guys including one like he used in WWII, and a Luger he took from a German soldier at that time. But i never even saw them until i was over 21. They were locked in a safe with the ammo in a place that was so secret that even the most curious child would not have found it. I saw him practice target shooting with a pellet gun, to keep his aim, for Army Reserves, but never have seen him shoot anything more than that. I’m glad that is how i was brought up.

• Melly says:

Hmm where did she say that guns should be abolished? It’s about common sense and responsibility. Same as you would strap a seatbelt on your child to keep them safe, you should keep guns out of their reach. All it would take is one mistake, one curious child and they’d be gone forever. I think kids are far more valuable than guns. Besides keeping your family safe, many of the guns on the black market come from guns that are STOLEN from people’s homes. If the guns are under lock and key, it will help keep the guns out of hands of children and criminals. Simple as that, no conspiracy to take away your rights.

40. Wacky says:

Um, what’s with the leash?

41. eko says:

Is that a cig between Daddy’s fingers? the baby looks a bit like Billy Idol…

42. Shariff says:

Is the leash on the gun rack for the kid? I like that both the baby and dad have on smoking jackets. LOL

43. Tim S says:

Teach ‘em young!

44. Dogdancing says:

LOVE the dog leash hangin there! Makes it easy for the baby buba ta git his gun ifin he hears a bar outside his windda

45. dave says:

goodness. please get this get some vitamin D. interestingly enough, there is a 4th even smaller gun, keeping in trend with the gun rack. Except, the kid keeps it under his pillow.

46. meri says:

wild eyed child, imagine the dreams that poor kid had!

47. T says:

The guns AND the chain leash hanging right there. Because that’s not a strangulation danger or anything. I guess people just didn’t worry about things like they do now.

48. nikki says:

umm…hate to admit it, but I think my dad’s gun cabinet was in my room for a few months years and years ago…ohhh around the same time we never wore seat belts and we got spankings! =)

49. Buzz Litebeer says:

In case baby got hungry on the way to the outhouse…

50. Deb says:

first?
    reminds me of my old room