The Great Bambini

May 22nd, 2010

The Great Bambini - Babies

Photoshop conspiracists, please start your engines.

(submitted by Jeremy, who is standing by to defend his photo)

See the original “Great Bambini” here: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/10/14/the-great-babini/

237 Responses to “The Great Bambini”

1. Amber says:

This was both of my kids favorite game with Daddy… Thankfully he never threw them 7 ft in the air (that would have scared even me) but easily a good 4 feet. They thought it was the best thing ever! It was my husbands too… only becuase it scared the grandparents and made the kids laugh so hard!

2. Mike says:

Babies were made to be thrown. I dont understand why everyone is getting so upset over this.

3. Brandon says:

this is just getting him ready for a life of base jumping

4. Kristen says:

I’m all for a little toss up in the air, but this is ridiculous and borders on a charge of child abuse in my book. The shock of being caught on the way down will not be good for ANY part of that toddler’s body IF the dad not only catches him, but catches him ‘right’. People that think this is okay should not procreate.

5. Elsje says:

It’s just foolish and irresponsible to throw with babies. Accidents did happen, babies dropped dead.
    Throw balls, no babies!

6. duck says:

I know I’ll be pounded for saying this without a source, but I’ve read that children whose fathers play rough with them when they’re little have an easier time learning maths and sciences and adjusting socially as they grow older (though this kid looks a little young to be THAT high in the air). I can only think that it helps our spatial relationship understanding of the universe around us and allows us to understand cause and effect. I’m sure glad my dad played rough with me.

• Hope says:

Wow, I’m a professional educator and I’ve never heard the “play rough with them to learn math” theory. I do a lot of reading on the subject, too. I have heard that learning music and art help develop that part of the brain, but I guess it’s easier to throw your kids around than put in the time and effort.

7. Michelle says:

It’s all good… didn’t you notice the cross on dad’s back?! Completely safe ☺

8. Greg says:

OMG OMG!!!OMG!!! to think that I’vebeen tossing babies since the 70′s!!! How little did we know!! My Father taught me, his father taught him… Generations and Generations of Baby tossing all to crash on the possibility….

Ladies – get over it. or as the eldest son says: “Little brother, that’s a Dad – you want an answer ask him. You want sympathy go talk to mom…”

9. Sara says:

Is this Abby Sunderland’s father?

10. Eliza says:

I don’t think the picture is really him throwing the baby. His arms are not in the proper position nor is the baby in the right angle to have been thrown up in the air. If anything this child was dropped out of the tree and the dad is catching him. Since you don’t see anyone either the whole thing was entirely photoshopped or else the person who dropped him dropped him from about 20 feet up… which even the most crazy of fun loving dad’s wouldn’t allow… I don’t think.

When babies are thrown and come down their backs arch from the whip back of being thrown up then coming down. My hubby has tossed all our girls at least a time or two – so I know what it looks like, and this isn’t it.

11. Bubby says:

Is this why I keep having those dreams where I’m falling?

12. The Marcus says:

The ones who toss their kids like this are going to be very confident, strong men. We are witnessing a real man having fun with his kid. This kid will in turn become a very stong, independent person who will have a respect and love for all his peers because his confident father will have taught him to be and lead him to be.

The comments here are great. Female perspective is expected, as my wife would say the same thing(s). But I, the father of our children, assure her to trust me and that I would never hurt my child in this manner.

There are plenty of well intentioned persons who would never do this but endager their child in other ways.

So the agenda should be, if you’re gonna do something, not matter what it is, make sure you know what you’re doing. And quite emasculating our strong, confident men into thinking what we do as men is wrong and horrible.

• Sally says:

Yeah, and no man has ever been over-confident in his own abilities only to discover that the famous last words “hey, watch this!” lead to disaster. My husband repeatedly assured me he had absolute control of my daughter on the playground only to discover one day that he didn’t. Thankfully, she recovered.

• Izz says:

“Real man”?

So “real men” don’t make mistakes?

Macho attitudes like this is probably the reason why men get in the most accidents, get in the most fights etc.

Of course no normal parent would toss their baby in the air to hurt it, but accidents do happen. “Real men” are not perfect, believe it or not.

• The Marcus says:

“Real man”/”Real men” do all of the above fro your Izz. “Real man”/”Real men” admit when they are wrong but truth be told, the mistake(s) doesn’t stop “Real man”/”Real men” from venturing on.

It’s about “Trust” and in this day and age the before mentioned is becoming an extinct reality.

13. Bucky says:

I’m sure this man is well-intentioned, but there are enough dangers waiting for children without their own parents adding this to the mix. A friend of mine who is a pediatrician was equally well-meaning when he visited a couple of his patients, preemie twins, in their home, just to “see how they were progressing”, and playfully decided to toss one in the air—–straight into the ceiling fan, I am not making this up–and the kid had to go to the ER to have the resulting head laceration sewn up. Thankfully, the outcome was no worse. But as I said, well-intentioned things sometimes go wrong…..so baby-tossing is indeed a potentially dangerous game.

• Zzzzzz says:

Oh, for pity’s sake! There’s a difference between launching a kid into rotating blades and tossing him into the air outside. Dangers are not “out there”, “waiting” for kids. You make it sound like ceiling fans and pedophiles are lurking like wolves around a sheep corral. Accidents happen, and from my experience, they’re a lot less likely to happen when you’re paying attention than when you’re not. My uncle busted his knee stepping off a curb when he was thinking about something else…obviously the guy in the picture is paying a lot more attention and being more careful than he would normally be.

14. Karen says:

I have a picture of my husband being thrown into the air like that by his father. My husband is now 61 years old–this sort of thing has been going on for a long time.

15. Sonja says:

A little toss is fun, this is excessive and dangerously high. I would freak out if someone “tossed” my baby that high, good grief!

16. Happy Daddy says:

This is a great pic! I have done this many, many times with my own kids, and with my nieces and nephews. Although this toss may be excessive, I think that kids do like the excitement of that “gut” feeling when they are thrown

17. Smitethesmiters says:

So he threw his kid…so what?
    The baby looks a little afraid and it’s really high. My husband would get an elbow to his gut (after he caught the baby of course) but I see no harm in kid tossing sports – it’s great fun!

18. Jeff says:

The father of Balloon Boy is at it again, this time with an invisible balloon.

19. NateDOgg says:

Look at those guy’s long arms. The baby’s only going to fall only four feet or so

20. Anon says:

THE PIXELS, I CAN TELL BY THEM.

21. Ginger says:

That’s…not cool.

22. Jen says:

What dad hasn’t thrown their child in the air? Although this is a little high. But I bet the kid was just fine or the photo wouldn’t have been submitted to a funny/awkward photo site for people to gasp and laugh at.

• El Kev says:

I agree. Distance from the ground, it’s about as high as a basketball goal. When you consider the father’s arm length and that he likely has his arms fully stretched upwards to begin the catch, easing the drop like a swing, it really isn’t that high and ends up being only like a 2 foot toss.

23. sevanderslice says:

Dude. I know a kid who died when he wasn’t caught. No one should throw their kid so high.

24. Kyle says:

He’s just like his dad, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

25. pittipat says:

Geez… as antsy as the photo makes me, all the people guaranteeing that this kid is scarred for life are worse. You are the ones who strap on the knee pads, elbow protectors, anti-aircraft headgear and three layers of blue jeans to send the kids out on rollerskates, aren’t you? Well, yeah, if Mom is running after you screeching “omigod omigod omigod are you all RIGHT???” every time you fall down, you *are* going to grow up a little weirdy….

26. Voltron says:

It looks like Aircraft control guiding in the baby for landing :)

27. confusedcircles says:

that’s what happens when babies climb trees…i hope it lands on all fours.

28. Silk says:

Y’all have it backwards. The kid just jumped out of daddy’s arms.

Bionic Baby!

29. Catherine says:

Even assuming Dad doesn’t drop the baby, the jarring the baby’s brain receives inside its skull when it’s being caught cannot be good for it.

30. Panya says:

That’s not a cross on his shirt, it’s the Japanese kana “ho” [ホ].

31. Matti says:

It’s the Michael Jackson Tree!

32. Pam Taylor says:

I’m assuming from the cross on daddy’s shirt that he’s assuming Jesus will make certain no harm comes to the baby…or he’s trying to toss him clear up to heaven. Either way, I think family services needs a call.

33. Kirsten says:

Yup… 100% legit Toddler Toss, there….

34. MajorIRDave says:

Oh that’s definitely REAL. My brother in law did that to my niece about that age and there was even BIGGER hang time. However to this day………….the girl now age 18……..LOVES ROLLERCOASTERS!!!!

35. Cynthia says:

Yoinks, that guy’s got an arm on him. Or the baby can levitate. Your mileage may vary.

(PS I would freaking kill my husband if he did the baby toss to THIS extent.)

36. LoLWha?? says:

These are some of the best-ever choices for alternate captions, although I do so LOVE the one actually attached to the photo. Thanks for making me smile. ;P

37. Elizabeth says:

YAY to all the Dads of the world who gave us those wonderful, paranoia-free moments of flying in infancy.

l for one don’t buy the whole “it’s dangerous” thing. Life is dangerous. Driving is extremely dangerous. Even if this baby fell, it would be NOTHING compared to what tens of infants face in car accidents daily just in the United States. Nothing. Bruises and scrapes, seriously.

So let children live a little. Dad and child outside, playing=EPIC WIN.

• sarah says:

You have to draw the line somewhere..to say that a car accident would be worse is stupid, of course it would be but hey why don’t you just light your baby on fire a little bit? you could blow him out and maybe he’d be okay..but you don’t. it’s unnecessary and so is this….I’m taking it to the extreme like you are.

38. KJ says:

Wow…that stork must have been super late for his lunch break!

39. marvinator says:

Don’t ya love photoshop?

40. Brad says:

This is just a scene from the new movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Baby

41. Grassbur says:

Actually, this is a photo taken at a Junior Paratrooper Training Week session. The dad was Photoshopped into the picture and the plane was redacted.

42. NOrm says:

When Baby Death Ninja’s attack!

43. Daisie says:

And Sergei sticks the landing!

44. Oy vay says:

Well, I love this photo.
    But, as we all know overprotective parents(of usually bratty kids) are going to come out of the woodwork and say how “horrible” this photo is.
    You know what? If you have a problem with it, then don’t do it. But, millions of parents around the world toss their babies in the air. The babies laugh for joy, the parents catch them…and life goes on.
    If you want to protect your child from all dangerous things…than you are going to have a very lonely child. Why? Because, everything holds some danger.
    Your child could choke on its breakfast…and die
    Your child could walk down a hallway, fall the wrong way…and die.
    Your child could pull a shirt over his face, and be strangled.
    Its all been known to happen.
    I shudder when i see these helicopter parents. Nothing can happen, everthing has to be regulated and everyone better watch out! Helicopter kids are going to be afraid of everything, demand that society take care of their every need…and be attached to their mothers apron strings(eek the feminists…i said apron strings).

I love this photo. It made me smile.
    And now, i’m going to make my kids day…I’m going to hear her laugh as i toss her up in the air, catch her in my arms, give her a huge hug and then read to her before I tuck her in.

• Tim S says:

Well said.

• Beki says:

You know, I hear what you’re saying and there’s a grain of truth here, as I find helicopter parenting equally disturbing not to mention crippling for the child the parents are supposed to be raising into independent adults.

That being said, as parents, we shouldn’t be the ones to cause life’s little accidents to happen to our children.

• Connie says:

You speak as though it has to be one extreme or the other. I’m a parent who is neither a helicopter nor reckless. Tossing a child like this is potentially dangerous – especially considering the height of the toss. I would never do this. However, I don’t stress about my child eating his breakfast or walking down the hall. He makes new friends easily and has no problem trying new things. With that said, have fun tossing your daughter in the air. I’m sure it will make her a better person, as long as a fractured skull doesn’t diminish her capacity. A huge hug won’t fix that.

• Somebody says:

Well said! Most of the people who think this is ok. Probably do not have kids. and have not seen the videos of infants with brain damage from things like this.. Yeah its risky to drive however you do not purposely get in an accident. This is purposely throwing your child for your own entertainment.(selfishness) If this was my husband we would be getting a divorce and he would be on his way to prison i can assure you that. I never jeopardize the safety of my babies!

• El Kev says:

I’m guessing this is not the first time this father has tossed his child in the air like this. If he had made a mistake and dropped or missed the child at lower heights, this picture would not exist. I’m sure you do lots of things with your child that other parents, like the rest of us, would find horrible. You say it’s potentially dangerous. So is getting your child a bike. So is taking a child swimming.

• weshays says:

Shut up. Please. FYI – I’ve done this same thing with my son at about the same age. NEVER dropped him. As a parent you have to know your own limitations, and whether you can perform this type of exercise with your child. My now 7 year old enjoys skateboarding, BMX biking and many other X-game type activities. Yes, there have been scraps, cuts, bruises and a trip to the emergency room (damn BBQ brush!). He is one of the most adventurous children I’ve ever seen, and I have 5 kids. No, I am not a NASCAR dad, or a bubba, or a redneck.

• Connie says:

But if you had dropped him, you probably would have hurt him. And just because you didn’t drop him, doesn’t mean it wasn’t dangerous. Glad your kid is so adventurous and carefree, but tossing him into the air wasn’t a good idea.

• weshays says:

Thank you Big Brother. Next, there will be a law “protecting” children from this dangerous behavior. I suppose it’s bad to have competitive sports because it’s dangerous to our children’s self-esteem. Eck. I’m sick of this molly-coddled country. We officially suck.

• Timmy says:

Yeah that’s how Big Brother starts! Before you know it there will be “laws” requiring special car seats for infants this size or abducted children “alerts”. Its just a matter of time before you facists start up a whole “Child Protection Service” or someting! Trying to protect “children” from so-called “danger” makes me sick too!

• Tree Smith says:

There have been studies on this. The babies aren’t laughing, they’re frightened.

• snuzzled says:

Please point me to one of these “studies,” because I think I can tell the difference between a laughing baby and a frightened baby.

• RRC says:

I have to say that I’ve tosssed my baby in the air too but not quite that high. This baby looks terrified, not happy and smiling.

• Dale says:

Hogwash! 3 of my 4 kids loved being thrown in the air. My 3-year-old still begs me to throw her all the time (although I don’t any more, because she is to heavy for me to catch her safely) and my one-year-old laughs uproariously when I throw him and when I stop and put him down he says, “More?” I throw my son that high.

45. bwahahahahaha says:

Judging from Dad’s shirt the kid is clearly being raptured.

46. Artisticulated says:

Always nice to have a baby handy to pop the basketball loose when it’s wedged in the side of the rim.

47. Alan says:

Oh,look Honey,the family tree is in fruit & the first ripe one is about to fall.

48. Em says:

it’s obvious a stork just dropped him off. that is how babies are born, right?

49. Barbara says:

This is the first picture I ever commented on…I find this VERY upsetting!

• seanon says:

upsetting..why?

• jeana says:

It’s upsetting because that is a STUPID, CARELESS way to treat a baby. Did you know that most deaths in children under the age of 5 are caused by preventable incidents in and around the home? You’re looking at one of the reasons these babies die. Just stupid.

• El Kev says:

And I’m sure that you NEVER (no, not you, the world’s perfect parent) swung a child like a swing, in a circle with a hug, by the arms in a circle, or engaged in ANY type of physical play with a child. Get over yourself. You too Barbara.

• Emma says:

Nope, never thrown a baby 7 feet in the air for a picture, I’m one your side on this one honey, this is upsetting….. Playing is one thing- THROWING that far into the air is another- it may not be this parent that hurts their child, it may be the next one that tries to duplicate it for a picture of their own… I’m not knocking, I’m related to PLENTY of people that do this sort of thing, I am just to cautious with my son to put his life at risk….

• Michelle says:

I’ve seen babies thrown higher.. agree el kev. Get a grip ladies…it’s not THAT upsetting. I wouldn’t look at the pic where the baby is taped to a window ladies. You may seizure out.

• Popeye the Senator says:

I seen a baby thrown the length of a football field and I didn’t get hurt not one bit. Get over yourself “Soopermom”

• Gumby says:

Just for the record. The picture was not taken at home, unless they’re living in a treehouse.