Whiteout 2

June 7th, 2010

If he has chicken pox, we all have chicken pox.

(submitted by Bailey)

96 Responses to “Whiteout 2”

1. Jacqueline Weisser says:

These are my kids! Brent in the middle and to his left, little sis Gabrielle and on his right, sister Bailey. Yes…all 3 got chicken pox! They are covered in calamine lotion and no one could even wear clothes…especially Brent, who had it the absolute worst! The “thing hanging by his ear” was a set of 3 fabric hearts hanging from ribbons on my armoire door knobs…mystery solved!
    Thanks for making us famous AFP!!! <3

2. Lee says:

Lol .. the 2 little ones are now permanently immune to chicken pox, having covered themselves head to toe in calamine (or w/e that is).

3. zoe says:

Chicken pox who knew , disgusting [they're nacked]!!!!!!!!!!! <o <3

4. cheeky says:

Those are some serious tighty whities.

5. Wendi says:

I totally have a picture of my 3 kids just like this one! The thing was……the oldest one got the chicken pox, and then 2 days later, they all had it! And why did I take a picture? Because it was cute and I wanted to remember them all having it at once. Any why not?

6. Tristan says:

This brings back memories. My three boys got chicken pox at the same time. At least they got it over with.

7. Bill Shirley says:

I was hoping the Wardrobe would lead me a wintry magical place, … my hopes were dashed.

8. CLM says:

that look’s familiar… my brother got chicken pox when he was really small and then right after he recovered my sister and i both got them at the same time… it was awful!!! we have a picture with us all covered in medicine looking basically just as miserable haha

9. Missy says:

Hold the mayo! No, not like that!

10. Silk says:

“If you kids don’t stop scratching, I’m taking a photo!”

11. Erin says:

I usually don’t read the comments here (the pics are funny enough), but on this one I had to to see if anyone could figure out what the heck that birdy thing is hanging out next to the scrawny kiddo’s left ear. Where did it come from? Why is it hovering there? Is it some sort of strange knob for the cabinet? Does he wear a badass birdy earring?

Or…perhaps it is the chicken who gave them the pox?

Why has no one answered these pressing questions for me already?

12. John says:

I nominate the kid on the right for a mullet award.

13. cinbad says:

I think the skinny dude is just realizing that he is really too old to be playing with shoe polish or whatever the heck that stuff is, and that as the older and (ahem) more mature kid, he set a bad example for his younger siblings. Additionally, to have his mom snap the picture (in his tighty whities no less)…ugh…humiliating and truly awkward…

14. PugMom says:

The Mom says “hold out your hand and I’ll put the lotion in it. You put it on your sores.”
    Big brother being mature and able to follow directions did so very neatly. Two younger siblings not so much! haha

Poor young kid. Not only is he very thin but I bet he grew 5 inches the last few months. Look at the length of those arms and legs! :D
    Our oldest grandson was like that until he was 17 or so.. he’d finally put on enough weight for his height then he would shoot up 4-5 more inches it seemed like over night.
    Adorable picture.

15. AnneToo says:

They’re trying to find out which lotion is strong enough to glue Baby to a window.

16. Tim says:

Paper Mache: it’s not for everyone…

17. Alan says:

The boy went on to be a skin specialist. He started his business from scratch.

18. Mrs. R. says:

Aaah, I’m guessin bug bites or poison ivy. By 94 most lucky ducks got the varicella vaccine.
    I like how li’l girly there to the left of the picture has that, “uh, should we not have done this” look.
    I think it’s cute. At that age you still want to be like big brother.

• Nicole says:

In 94 the chicken pox vaccine was still controversial. I recall having that talk with my son’s pediatrician (I was pregnant in 94 and he was born in early 95). So not most would have had it by then. Besides, these kids were born before the vaccine was available. I’m going with the chicken pox theory.

• cam says:

The CP vaccine is STILL controversial today. Many informed parents refuse to give it. :)

• Chris says:

The vaccine was not available until 1995. My kids all got in late 1994. I have a similar picture.

Unfortunately one was my six month old baby with pox right by her eyes (she was born in 1994, which is why I know when the vaccine was introduced!). She was sleeping through the night until she caught it from her older brother. I spent two weeks dealing with a baby who was in too much pain to sleep more than a few minutes at a time.

It swept through my oldest son’s school, and one kid ended up in the hospital and almost lost a leg due to a secondary infection with flesh eating bacteria (the reason for mittens on kids’ hand).

19. Angie says:

There’s a series of pictures in my photo album like this when I was two years old: the “naked chicken pox pictures” My mom says she took them as proof I got chicken pox, but I think she’s really saving them for when she needs leverage against me.

20. DeductiveReason says:

At first I thought it was ‘whiteout’ but then thought he was too old to get into a mess like that, then zinc diaper cream was mentioned and thought, it makes sense for the little ones but can’t see it for the older kid. I have to conclude it is catadyn lotion for chicken pox…especially since it’s in relatively random spots. The underwear is unusally large so, combined with chicken pox, I buy the attempt to keep him comfortable and covered until the ordeal is over. Poor guy…now that he’s in his 20′s, his mom keeps it to scare away unapproved girlfriends.

21. ln says:

Standard undies look like that on string bean body types of that age. Loving the knobby knees! (I posted earlier that I have a sring bean like this guy.)

22. MCR says:

I know it’s calamine lotion, but the white stuff reminds me of the Steven Wright joke…”I spilled Spot Remover on my dog; now he’s gone.”

23. Jennylectric says:

The first rule of Chickenpox Club is: you do not talk about Chickenpox Club……

24. ln says:

freakin’ adorable. I too love how the lil’ one is looking up at brother. And I have a string bean too like that middle kid and that middle kid probably eats about every two hours like mine.

25. Dave says:

Could anyone else instantly recall the smell of Caladryl at the sight of this photo. Not awkward to many of us because we’ve all been there. Rude is right though. The littl ekids are just trying to be like big brother.

• Ang says:

Ah, yes, the smell of Caladryl… Remember when that stuff was pink? Add to the humiliation that mom made us wear mittens while we had it so that we wouldn’t scratch. LOL.

• carol says:

Yep! And baking soda baths. This picture reminds me of my oldest son. After giving him a baking soda bath out came the Caladryl. Cute photo!

• Michele says:

It’s not pink anymore??

• Ang says:

Some brands are still pink, and some are white. However, you can get the clear type now. I think it’s one of the Caladryl brands. It’s what I use when I get a poison ivy rash.

• DebDeb says:

Yeah! Exactly WHOSE skin is that Caladryl PINK supposed to blend in with, anyway?!

26. jerry says:

You just know this showed up at the High School graduation slide show!

27. LMA says:

Witness the exact moment when Emo music was conceived.

28. Susan says:

Gee, I thought it was little pieces of toilet paper and my first though was this kid was too young to cut himself shaving!

29. Nectarine says:

Definately not chicken pox – somebody got into the Zinc diaper cream!

30. Anne says:

My guess is for future blackmail and/or embarrassment.

• Anne says:

Weird, the comment to which I was responding seems to have disappeared, so to avoid sounding as awkward as I do, please know it was in response to someone posting, “Why would you take a photo like this?”

Oh, yes, lovely pink Calymine lotion. We lived in poison ivy, fire ant, and other creepy crawly central and went through bottles of that stuff. Oh, and we got chicken pox at different times, so that meant a few more bottles.

31. Don says:

I would demand a refund from the face painter that did this. Artist? I don’t think so…

32. beegeek says:

My Mom took pictures of my brother and I when we had chicken pox, since we had them at the same time. Just minus the Calymine lotion.

33. Melinda says:

I noticed that as well. Standard issue BVDs are not full size bloomers. I wonder what he’s wearing?

• Jocko says:

I think he’s wearing an adult man’s underwear for comfort, he’s probably got the pox on the parts covered by the briefs and the adult ones would be looer than his own, while still covering his parts. IIRC, my mom did the same thing for my brother when he got the pox (also a loose t-shirt).

• DeductiveReason says:

Agreed…good standard home practice. When I had them I was commando under pjs. It worked well.

• Sam says:

Could it be a regulation size ?

34. Natty says:

This is so cute! And it’s from 16 years ago, so I hope these kids turned into well-adjusted adults…who won’t ever have to have chicken pox again. :)

35. durhay says:

How Not to Use Liquid Paper

36. jellogirl says:

love the socks

37. Shawn says:

Forget Chicken Pox, he needs a chicken dinner!

38. coNNie says:

cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!

39. RHB says:

Seeing the schmears on those children, I find myself inexplicably craving a bagel…

40. JessicaP says:

aww, this is a cute picture. I love how the little girl is looking up at her big brother. Very sweet.

41. Kathy says:

I agree with Jeanne. WTH would someone take that picutre?!

• Michele says:

The first thing I would do is run for my camera! Why wouldn’t you take the picture? It’s awesome!

• SARA says:

haha totally first thing is to run and get the camera!! my daughter got into the diaper rash cream one day, and i got the camera before even attempting to clean it up!!! it was too funny!!!

42. Be3t says:

Scariest part for me is the blue room. That is one blue room.

• artofserendipity says:

LOL! It is intensely, uncomfortably blue! The cow picture is not enough to break it up for me either!

43. Savitrii says:

I’m 99% sure my family has a photo EXACTLY like this :)

44. Rude says:

You people are incredibly rude. These comments are the reason I would NEVER submit a photograph of anyone in my family.

Why does anyone not understand that the picture is showing that the oldest kid has chicken pox, and because HE got lotion, the babies got into it too?

Rude, Rude, Rude.

• CarrieM says:

Um, I think everyone understands that…

• DrStrangelove says:

Not sure whom you’re addressing your remarks to, but geeeeez louizzzze, cancha take a little dose of humor? Take a red or take a hike.

• john says:

Um, what? Did something get deleted? I don’t see any particularly rude comments except maybe the ones pointing out that that there is a slender young man.

• JAY says:

People submit them for a laugh. You’re right, you should never submit one. You’d be all over everyone for having fun w/ it ?”?”?

• working? says:

Is your name “Marney”?

• Jibble says:

What the… Either this is the worlds best (or worst) troll, or someone needs to get some help. I haven’t seen a single rude comment in the entire list of comments. You. Are. NUTS.

• Anne says:

Don’t get all lathered up, Sweetie – someone else will submit the photo for you.

• KJ says:

FYI…it’s probably the parents or the (now grown up children) that sent this in expecting and/or wanting a laugh. Unless someone stole a family album and their first thought was, “lets post these pics on AFP”, how else would it get here?

Yes, only people with a sense of humor should post so you are disqualified.

• Hey Rude says:

The only rude comment on here is yours to the posters. I hope you are just looking for attention and not like this in real life. Seek a sense of humor. What do you think this site is about? This isn’t flickr – this is a site for people to laugh. If you don’t have that ability, move along. Stop being rude and interupting everyone’s fun.

45. Yvonne says:

How cute! Not awkward, just kids being kids.

46. Richard says:

please feed that kid

• LC says:

He’s perfectly fine. He probably eats like a horse. My 12 year old son usually eats more than his dad and he’s still stick thin. It’s all about metabolism.

• Jibble says:

LOL! Exactly. My 8 year old eats more than me and he’s as skinny as that kid!

• Karen says:

That could be my son – -same body type. He eats & eats, but due to genetics & metabolism, he stays very thin. He’s quite healthy. BTW, his Dad & I had a similar body type growing up, but now fight the middle-age bulge like everybody else. Relax, people! There are healthy body types at both ends of the bell curve.

• Jiggler says:

I wished I had that problem as a kid. After second grade anything that I even looked at put pounds on me. Yes, I was the chunky girl everyone made fun of because of it. Dang I hate you stay skinniers until middle-agers. Yes I am jealous :P LOL.

• George says:

Can you say tapeworm boys and girls?

47. cyndi says:

Sour cream therapy… does it really work?