Behind The Awkwardness: Staycation

June 25th, 2010

“My father insisted on documenting our vacation to Disneyland. In our backyard. In Wyoming.”

(submitted by Ann)

70 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Staycation”

1. Chrissy says:

I have the same shirt as the two on either end except I got mine from Disney World in 1988 when I was 11.

2. Aaron says:

looks like Gillette, WY……antelope valley or crestview subdivision…..or even sleepy hollow

3. Con-D says:

Looks like Casper! And the funny thing is that, given that this is Wyoming (where I hail from as well) it’s entirely possible that Connie does know that fencing contractor.

4. Gogit says:

Looks like it’s a smaller world than we thought after all! At least the toddler seems be enjoying wearing the hat and the ‘staycation’!

5. Smartazz says:

Just to make the family feel like they were still at Disneyland…After the pic was taken, Dad had everybody come inside to eat lunch…at which time, he charged them each $ 11.00 for a hamburger and $ 7.00 for an order of french fries and $ 5.50 for a small Coke !!!

6. IvyThorne says:

At first I wasn’t sure, but the time Mom tried to click her red heels together and jump into a dirt and stick drawing of DisneyWorld, I knew she had to be nuts. My Grandparents went, and all I got was this merchandise.

7. Cassie says:

This looks like my family. But I’ve never seen this picture before and I don’t ever remember going to disneyland until I was 12. What the hell is this!? That mom looks just like mine! AND WE’RE FROM WYOMING!! But that’s not our backyard. I’m so confused.

8. Roger says:

I’m thinking Wyoming is a pretty big state with lots of open land ? Why is it that there is a need to build houses where they have a need for fences ? … christ it looks like I have more room in my condo’s bbq area here in the city.

9. Gerlord says:

True jedi mind tricks at play here…this dad has skils…..my kids think disney on ice is disney land….I bow to this dad’s skills…..he turned a bad fence and patchy grass into disney. Wow.

• Ducky says:

You made me think of the time we took my 5 year old nephew to the smallest county fair you have ever seen. I’m fairly certain it was three rides and seven cows. But as we pulled into the parking lot he sees the ferris wheel and askes, “Are we in Disneyland?” “Yep” I tell him. And for several years thereafter he is POSITIVE we took him to Disneyland.

10. corinne says:

Back to the future keeps flashing in my mind.

11. Katie C. says:

I never got to go to Disney as a kid. Hmppph.

12. Stephanie says:

Well,you could photo shop them into a happy Disney World and try that. Who would know? I guess they would…

13. Joanne says:

The youngest one is so cute, holding the Mickey Mouse doll. Poor kid-this is as good as it gets. Aunt Marge and Uncle Joe went to Disney and brought us back this stuff! They never made it to Disney!

14. Bodysnatcher says:

This would make a pretty sweet album cover.

15. wizzy says:

What pray tell would make anyone look at this picture and think “That looks like Wyoming”. That looks like Anywhere USA. LOL

16. Jonesy says:

I can see Epcot from my back yard!

17. Alan says:

Geez. Even the tree looks depressed.

18. Deborah says:

I love the cutline as much as the photo!

19. Joe says:

Thanks kids. Now will someone water that damn tree and grass?

20. DanSchmidt says:

Guess Wyoming is the second happiest place on earth.

21. Amy says:

Oops, maybe the “sister” on the left is a brother? If so, my apologies!

22. Amy says:

If they take a beach vacation, will Dad wait and take a picture of them in the backyard sandbox? BTW, the littlest girl is adorable! (Of course, her sisters are cute, too!)

23. Jiggler says:

But Wyoming doesn’t exist!

24. nikki says:

Was it hot or cold that day. One kid has on shorts and the smaller kid has a jeans and sweater.

• LuLu says:

That’s a sweatshirt not a sweater…and no they are not the same thing.

• rlaw says:

phew thank goodness we all now know that a sweatshirt and sweater are not the same! it was crucial that someone fix that faux pas! thanks.

• Stacey says:

Is Marney using the name LuLu now?? Is it a regulation sweatshirt??

• Kane says:

Haha. You have to know Wyoming to understand the weird dressing. I live in Cheyenne. I got out of college on May 11th; it was a blizzard outside (4 inches of snow). It is wild weather out here in the true Chey-town and the real Windy City. I think this picture was taken a couple blocks away from my house actually. Gotta love small towns!

• desi says:

Hey in Wyoming you dress in layers. Snd yet sometimes you’ll encounter us wearing shorts and a tshirt when there is a foot of snow on the ground. I am from Sheridan and depending where you are at that point in time determines what layer you show. And you always carry a sweater if not wearing it. Cause it can go from hot to cold instantly with no warning. And as far as the first photo of vaca. All the best vacations start in Wyoming. Why because we are use to rural areas any Change is Like stepping onto a whole new planet.its a new experience for us just Like it is for all the damn tourons that come through Wyoming its a culture shock of the best kind. So why not take a photo of where every good vacation starts at?

25. funnygirl says:

The little one is so cute!

26. Gigi says:

Walt Disney encouraged everyone to use their imagination. Hope you are imagining
    Cinderella’s castle in the background.

27. Andrea says:

the littlest one is sooooo cute!

• LisaPizza says:

I agree–that little girl is so precious! Knee-high to a grasshopper, cradling her Mickey Mouse stuffie, and wearing ears the size of a satellite dish. Looked as if Mom got the baby sister’s $40 sweatshirt a few sizes too big “so she can grow into it.”

28. Uncuw Biww says:

which way is Epcot?

29. Brian says:

It’s a small yard after all!

30. iLOLd says:

Wow! Disneyland is in your backyard in Wyoming?

31. fireflight says:

I just had a vivid memory of my mom saying, “Hey, I have a great idea!” and I broke out it a cold sweat and hives.

32. Tim S says:

M-I-C… See ya real soon!
    K-E-Y… Why? Because we love you!
    M-O-U-S-E!

33. Cori says:

The Smith Family looked long and hard for the Dumbo Ride, and Got VERY horribly lost.

34. cruelie julie says:

I wonder if anyone has ever considered a backyard the “Happiest Place on Earth?!?!” I feel so sad for them!

35. Matthew says:

“I paid good money for all that Disney crap, I’m gonna get a picture of it if it kills us all!”

36. Joe says:

You can hardly tell that you aren’t right there at the Magic Kingdom!!

37. Leilani says:

I love the dutiful mother “let’s get this over with” look. Classic.

38. Rose says:

Too cute, you were lucky to have your dad take you to Disneyland, my parents took my little sister there while I was at my aunt’s house. Glad I didn’t see any pictures of that.

39. Bunnyluv says:

When you wish upon a staaaaaarrrrr…makes no difference where you arrrrrrre…

40. Heathdw says:

Funniest thing about this picture is that right when I looked at it I said to myself ‘I bet that was taken in Wyoming’ and then I scroll down, and sure enough it was taken in Wyoming!! just for the record, I’m from Wyoming and I love it there, but this picture does not depict everyone from there, just the minority!!

41. toes says:

Wyoming COULD have been mistaken for Fontierland

42. coNNie says:

I went to school with the guy that built that fence.

• sleeps says:

Uh…?

• doreen says:

Haha!! This comment made me laught almost as much as the photo. Random fact fun!

• sleepy says:

It has been puzzling me for days. I keep returning, hoping to find that coNNie will shed some light on her puzzling comment. Alas, it appears not. The strangest thing, to me, is that if you knew the family well enough to recognize them from this photo, wouldn’t you think you’d have some stronger connection than ‘I went to school with the gentleman who installed their backyard fence’?

• Smartazz says:

the comment that connie put on here was hilarious….just random….nothing to think that hard about..I promise !

• Ang says:

I got it… I thought it was quite funny.

• sleepy says:

Well explain it to me then! I’m lost. I want to get the funny!

• Ang says:

This is how I understood it: On so many of the comments, someone says, “I think I went to school with, grew up with, lived on the same street” (and so forth) with one of the people in the photo. coNNie’s remark about knowing the guy who built the fence pokes fun of all the “I know them” comments because it’s as arbitrary a statement as those made by the people who think they know one of the individuals in photos. If this is not what was meant, coNNie, please don’t burst my delusional bubble, because then I would have to re-examine my odd sense of humor. :)