Roll Bounce

September 23rd, 2010

Roll Bounce - Siblings

Actually, she does have to rub it in.

(submitted by Keith)

39 Responses to “Roll Bounce”

1. tammy says:

i also have this same pic, even with the over the shoe clamp skates.

2. Arabella says:

Lol my dad used to tape a pillow to my butt as well when I was learning how to rollerskate

3. Bender says:

Pillow loves you in many ways, Billy.

4. meg says:

I have almost the same exact picture of my dad and my aunt doing this exact same thing…so weird haha

5. HeatherW says:

Perhaps Sister pushed him?

That’s what I would do. Well, did do.

6. Cee says:

The pillow over the backside is such a waste of time. When I was about that age and would have a pillow strapped onto me, I would always fall forward. I was like the boy in this photo – a big ugly pillow over my backside, and painful knees from falling forward.

7. San Diego C says:

How hilarious! This is a picture of my college roommate and her brother.

• Snowrider says:

PLEASE…give us a “where are they now” story!

• J Wells says:

So I’m scrolling through the sight when I found this picture. The kid with the pillow on his bum is me! Seriously! I’m trying to confirm with my sister if this is really her (I don’t have full memory of the event). But I do remember having those skates but being to afraid to use them for fear of falling, hence the pillow. This is too funny!!

• Keith says:

Sorry J, perhaps you had a similar crazy memory. But this is for sure me and my sister, from my family stock of photos. I was always accident prone, so when the skates first came out, my dad duct-taped the pillow as an extra precaution.

• Keith says:

Sorry J Wells, But its definately me and my sister, straight from the family album. I was always accident prone, so my dad thought it would be a good idea to duct-tape a pillow to my bum as a precaution. Don’t ask me why i am wincing in pain. I have no clue what happened there. Perhaps we had similar crazy childhood moments!

8. Bec says:

They’re wearing the same shorts…love it!

9. JerseyPam says:

The guys can’t handle roller derby.

10. ScoutC says:

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Maybe he should have strapped a couple of oven mitts or something to his knees, too. The matching green shorts and plastic skates slay me.

• Jenners says:

Those shorts really make the photo, don’t they? I wonder if those are Fischer-Price skates. I had a pair.

• ScoutC says:

You young pup! I had the old metal skates, heavy enough to kill someone with, that you clamped onto your street shoes and tightened with a skate key. A couple of years ago, one of my students found a skate key somewhere, brought it in, and asked me if I thought it was something “the Indians” made.

• dribbles says:

Oh my gosh I remember that key. Once I didn’t tighten the nut enough and mid flight down the street the nut falls out and the front part of the metal skate came off. The first of many broken arms!!

• Snowrider says:

Oh yeah. I had those too! It was virtually impossible to clamp them tight enough to your PF Flyers so they stayed on. They would have been popular during the inqusition. The neat thing was that you could dismantle them and nail them to a hunk of wood for a bitch’in skateboard.

• Eileen says:

Ancient Artifact & I’m only 47 – I had those metal skates too. If the toe-clamp came loose, it would flip back & under your foot and smack the back of your heel/ankle. Big-time pain.

11. HeatherW says:

The funniest thing about this photo – besides laughing & gloating while a sibling is in pain- is the pillow Mom & Dad belted around his waist. That, alone, speaks volumes.

• But if you look at where the pillow is strapped, it wouldn’t do him any good unless he fell onto his back. If he fell onto his bum, it wouldn’t help a bit. Maybe it’s psychological, like the word “rumplesnitz” in “The Fifty-first Dragon.”

12. fireflight says:

Kid’s face is contorted with the anticipation of imminent pain.

13. Alisha says:

Ah, the things we thought would work when we were kids. This one goes right along with jumping off the roof with an umbrella. (which also doesn’t work)

• DrStrangelove says:

My related consideration was jumping out of a tree with a bedsheet. I never did, but when I reached physical maturity, I did start jumping out of airplanes. I have frequently told the tree/sheet story when people ask me whuffo jump outta plane?

• My neighbor (at about age 13) once jumped off his deck onto the trampoline. That didn’t go too well, either.

• Stephanie says:

As a kid my brother-in-law jumped out of a second-story window with a “cape” (read bath towel) tied around his neck. Same result.

• Lauren says:

Tried to catch a ride on the fan when I was three. I caught that ride eventually which dropped me off straight into a wall. This was the cause of my second broken collar bone. :)

14. Tim S says:

It looks like that nice, cushy pillow didn’t help when he landed on his knees.

15. CarrieM says:

Young Pete Fleming never had quite the same flair as his sister Peggy.

16. Danny says:

I felt the same way about learning roller skating. I was/am terrible at it.