Behind The Awkwardness: Fried Tofu

May 14th, 2011

Behind The Awkwardness: Fried Tofu - Pets

“A photo of my cat, Tofu. She doesn’t like cold weather much. In winter, after we cook dinner, she sometimes curls up in the frying pan because of the warmth.”

(submitted by Natasha)

43 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Fried Tofu”

1. SuRose says:

My cats all like to sleep w/ me & so does my Boston Terrier, She usually sleeps between my legs if a cat does not beat her there. The Cats like to sleep on my chest…that is because I’m so Hot! (Menopausal not sexy.) And in the summer, when I sleep near the airconditioner or a fan, they like to be cool too. I gues we are all cool cats.

2. Madeline says:

Not the biggest cat fan, but this is too cute.

3. Christy says:

Ewww! Train your cats, people! Mine know NOT to jump on countertops.

4. Nicole says:

Olive!

5. Modine says:

Oh the poor little bug. She’s named after food! No wonder she thinks that’s a good idea.

• Natasha says:

LOL! Yes, I use the food theme to name most of the rescued cats. A few memorable names, just off the top of my head:
      Marmalade, Caramel, Guacamole, Peanut, Avacado, Cinnamon, Nacho (still up for adoption), Peaches, Peanut Butter & Jam (brothers), Salt & Pepper (sisters), Sushi, Cucumber, Pepperoni, Bacon & Biscuit (brother & sister- still up for adoption) Dumpling, Kiwi, Burrito, Pumpkin, Chiclet, Cheerio, Muffin, Papaya, Olive, Oreo, Popcorn, Macaroni (still up for adoption). And I almost forgot the triplets?! I named the group Rice Krispies- Snap, Crackle and Pop :o) I won’t even get into the dog names…

• JenJe says:

Please do. We have a new rescue puppy and we are foodies so any help with names would be great. Tofu is adorable :)

• Natasha says:

Thanks JenJe. My personal favorite has to be Samosa :) I just love the food, the name and the dog, too!

Another very memorable dog, as he only had 3 legs, was Mango. Super sweet dog and we found him at the start of Mango season :) A few others: Coconut, Fish, Miso, Coffee, Milky (also 3 legged), Jello (totally suited him- he was a bulldog), and Tim & Tam (brother & sister named after my favorite Aussie chocolates TimTams). We had a cat named Spicy and I really liked that name, too. Good luck naming your new fur-kid! Thanks for rescuing/ adopting, not buying!!

6. Lisa says:

As a mom to 2 19-yr kitties, I say, you are a great cat mom. The things we do to keep our cats happy. Way to go.

• Natasha says:

Oh my! The things I do for cats… I am actually allergic to cats, but I’ve rescued hundreds in the past few years and somehow I’ve become cat-mom to 3 of them! Wouldn’t change it for anything in the world tho! Luv them to bits and would do anything for them. My eldest is 12 years old and sleeps next to my pillow every night. I can’t breathe through my nose anymore but I can’t imagine going to bed without her ♥

7. Red56 says:

This is the reason I love dogs.

8. Sarah says:

I think this is adorable. And kudos to Natasha for rescuing this sweet cat from the street and loving her.

• Natasha says:

Thanks Sarah! Tofu was the first kitty rescue of what turned out to be hundreds. Because of Tofu, my husband and I ended up starting an animal rescue organization called BARK here in Taiwan, to try to help the millions of stray cats and dogs.

9. Kat says:

I had a cat that used to that, even in the summer! The stove was an old gas one, so the pilot light was always on and kept things warm. She’d lay right on top of the burners if I let her, I couldn’t keep her off no matter what, so I finally gave up and put a big frying pan for her to curl up in. She loved it.

• Natasha says:

Tofu is the ultimate heat seeker. I actually had one of those really old bubble-type CRT computer monitors until just this past winter because she used to love sleeping on it! As I said, we live in Taiwan. It gets damn hot here in summer, like 35 celcius on the average day. But that doesn’t stop Tofu from laying in the sun ray, or on top of the laptop, or on the PC, or on top of the fridge… well, you get the idea :o)

• Kat says:

My cat was the same! I had one of those older monitors, she’d lay on it when not on the stove. And in the summer, it gets very hot here (in the upper 90′s) and she’d just sit in the window, soaking up the sun until she was so hot I could barely touch her. She loved it.

• Amanda says:

My cats try to sleep on my stove too! I also have the old one that is always warm. I dont like it though so I put saran wrap from the top stove to the oven handle so they cant jump on it.

10. ScoutC says:

I just threw up a little in my mouth. The thought of a cat walking on the counter tops is disgusting enough, but sitting in the pan in which food is cooked??!! UGH!!!! Sorry cat people, I’ll stick with dogs.

• Ducky says:

Oh, come on! I’m sure she cleans tha pan before and AFTER the cat lays in it, just as I clean my counter with bleach wipes before preparing food on it. And I know a few (small) dogs that jump on counters too!

• ScoutC says:

It’s just one more thing about cats that doesn’t appeal to me. Step-daughter was campaigning for a cat shortly after her dad & I married. One of her arguments included the delightful tale of how her cat at her mom’s house would lap the milk out of her cereal bowl as she ate breakfast. Also, how it would lick the stick of butter whenever the cover was off the butter dish. Again I say, “UGH!!!” No, thank you.

• Jessi says:

Dogs lick their butts, and then your face. This is different how?*

*I ask as the owner of two dogs and two cats.

• Fluffy says:

I know right? They also like to roll in smelly, dead things they find outside then come in and jump on your bed. :P I love my dog for his personality not his personal hygiene. I’m sure cat owners feel the same.

• Alice Polarbear says:

ScoutC, I’ve had dogs who visited my (Cat) house and one who stayed for a few weeks. The first thing ANY dog does in a house that has a nice funky catbox is to run to it and grab a mouthful of what I like to call “cat tootsie-rolls.” Dogs LOVE to eat that stuff! As a result, every time I see a TV ad for “gourmet” dog food I laugh myself silly. Cats, on the other hand, do NOT eat dog poop. They also don’t bark, which to me is a wonderful trait.

• Cindy says:

Cats are cleaner than dogs, and much cuter and better in every way! :)

• Fluffy says:

I’m sure you’ve based this statement on years of research and independent study, and not just on your personal feelings.

11. RICHARD says:

Paula Deen, 20 years ago. Had to start somewhere.

12. Sharon says:

Cat hair and grease…just nasty.

13. Harry says:

You let your cat curl up in a dirty, greasy frying pan? Sorry, that’s just gross.

• Lori says:

I’d imagine they wash the skillet and set it back on the stove top. If you look close you don’t see any food in it (other than stains from cooking on the sides). We have cats too and I clean the counters and table before using them. It’s a humor web site not a clean cooking web site.

• Jen says:

Just playing devil’s advocate here…Maybe they don’t LET the cat do it, but she does it anyway. It looks like a nonstick pan, which you have to let cool to room temperature gradually. You can’t just put it right in the sink and rinse it out because quick temperature changes will ruin the finish.

• Carol says:

Natasha didn’t say she “let” the cat do it. I doubt she did – anymore then I “let” my Labrador steal and eat entire loaves of bread.:p

• justme says:

Yours too huh? I don’t know what it is with Labs a bread…..or granola bars. I actually have to lock the cupboard where the granola bars are kept before leaving the house!

• justme says:

Lighten up a little huh Harry?

Also the girl says above that the pan is clean, and I would imagine it gets cleaned again before being used.

• ontoyou says:

Behind the righteous outrage is a well-intentioned, tenderhearted person. :)

14. Cindy says:

Doesn’t she get food and grease on herself?

15. Bonnie Bastian says:

Reaffirming my commitment to NEVER eat at pot lucks.

16. Jules says: