Liberty Belle

August 12th, 2011

Liberty Belle - July 4th

She was exercising her freedom to not give a damn.

(submitted by Nikki)

23 Responses to “Liberty Belle”

1. Stephanie says:

This photo and the captopn made me laugh so much! I still laughing!

2. Andrew says:

That face!

3. Marlon says:

Yes Dad I’m having the time of my life….Yawn

4. Dave says:

Dad is rockin the Members Only Jacket!

5. Anthony O'Neill says:

“I can’t believe we drove this far too see a broken bell…”

6. The daddy says:

Photo taken in Madison,Wi State Capital Building.

• Jen says:

Yeah, definitely not the Liberty Bell. They don’t let you touch it.

• Alicia says:

Shh! I touched it when no one was looking! I figured I’d probably never get to see that part of history again, so I touched it. That’s right, I touched the Liberty Bell. But I didn’t lean on the thing.

7. Diddleymaz says:

FYI the bell was made in London, the Bellfoundry is still there.They also made Big Ben ( it’s the name of the bell not the tower) and that cracked as well, while it was being hoisted up.

• kelboygk11 says:

umm actually that bell was made in Philadelphia by Pass and Stow, that’s why it’s on the front of the bell. The first bell that was ordered came from London, but arrived cracked and they refused to make another one without being paid for it. So they contracted Pass and Stow who lived in Philadelphia to make a new one, and it lasted for over 100 years before it cracked.

• kqr says:

Ummm, close but no cigar. The London bell and the Pass and Stow bell are not two separate bells. The original London bell cracked around the rim soon after delivery, and it was cut up and recast by Pass and Stow of Philadelphia The first recasting produced an unsatisfactory tone, so it was cut up and recast again with different metals added. The second recasting produced a somewhat better tone – although never quite satisfactory to some – and that is the version of the bell we have today. A modern study of the bell concluded the original blend of metals used by the London bell foundry was too high in tin and thus too brittle, and was made worse by P&S’s tinkering with the blend on the second attempt at recasting. It is also unknown when it began to crack, but it was certainly less than 100 years (second recast in 1753, cracked sometime between 1817 and 1846).

8. TriThis says:

OMG…how long til we get to the Cheese Steaks???

9. pittipat says:

Funny, my 11-year old has that look down pat.

10. Don says:

Her father had tried to explain the history of where they were but Jennifer was not in the least bit interested. She was messing around with her sister when a nudge turned into a push and Jennifer fell backwards into the bell with a loud clang. In horror she turned and saw a large crack in the bell. As her father approached, anger in his eyes, she quickly stepped in front of the bell hoping to hide the damage she had caused to this national artifact. Anger turned into amusement as dad asked a passing tourist to snap this picture. It wasn’t until her senior year in history class that Jennifer realized why her dad had never really punished her.

11. taterhead says:

@Willard — You got that right!!!

12. Eiko says:

This is what my brother looked like in front of Cinderella castle. He just wanted to buy a cookie at Epcot but we’d dragged him to the Magic Kingdom. I’ll bet she’s a joy to trave with! :)

13. Anne says:

I think Dad said “NO” to a trip thru the gift shoppe.

14. Willard says:

That’s from back in the day when people were free to actually walk up and touch the liberty bell. We’ve lost that freedom along with several others.

15. Mrs. Scott says:

Does this give new meaning to the phrase, “Hell’s Bells”? LOL!

16. Mrs. Scott says:

hahahaha! Poor kid! :-)

17. Jenna says:

Haha, funny caption!! :D

18. Anna says:

Dad looks like Paul Rudd!