Season’s Greetings

October 13th, 2011

Season’s Greetings - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

Chauncey couldn’t contain his excitement about Christmas.

(submitted by Chauncey)

100 Responses to “Season’s Greetings”

1. Babybel says:

Although he would one day be hailed the world-over as a famed guitar sword-slinger, a young Eric Clapton exhibited no small skill at another kind of swordsmanship in his early years.

2. Dennis says:

One of the best!!

3. Chauncey says:

Ok everyone, I’m here to clarify things a bit :) Sorry it took me so long. I submitted the photo, never heard anything back from AFP, and didn’t realize it was up here until about 10 minutes ago.
    First, I’m a boy. It was the 80′s, people. Androgyny ruled and no one could tell anyone’s gender.
    Second, I didn’t have earrings until I was in my late teens. There is no earring in the photo. I just have stupid ears.
    Third, the hairclip is paint. There is really no hairclip at all. In addition to stupid ears, I had stupid hair. Again…it was the 80′s.
    And lastly, the blood. It’s not blood. It’s alizarin crimson oil paint. I’m an artist and a messy one at that. Not sure why this was out when I was painting, but I get paint on everything so it’s not a huge surprise.
    And if you think this is funny, you should check out my online personals ad on datehookup.com. Just search for dorkyartguy. I believe this photo makes an appearance there as well :)

Oh…it was supposed to be a sword. Hahaha!

4. Chauncey says:

Yes I am a BOY

Yes I had an earring
    That is a decoration on the tree not a hair barrette
    Those are camo shoes with a red lining around them
    I’m not sure what the red is but it’s not blood…LOL

I did not realize that big deal about the pic until my dad pointed it out

5. MooseNuggette says:

My vote is for BOY. At that age boys are cute and can look kind of girlish and moms buy their clothes, including sweaters with feminine touches to them. The shoes look like they are either camo or animal print. Hair clip is something on the tree. Earring is…’dunno, but I’m still saying this is a BOY. And I agree that the boys probably got the blue sword balloons. Anyway, that’s my vote. LOVE the photo!!!

6. Definitive says:

Fantastic pic! The most awkward I’ve seen in months! My expert (drip under pressure) analysis is: The pic was probably done in the 80′s (hence the hair style). The red is damage to the actual photograph. It smears across the balloon and Santa in the same swipe. The hair clip may be part of the Christmas tree behind the kid’s head along with additional photo damage. The earing is definately troubling; for the 80′s it appears to be the wrong style and too big for a boy. It could also be photo damage. Based on the fact it was Chauncy that uploaded the pic and referred to himself as HE, we have to assume the kid is male.
    I laughed till I cried…people at work are looking for my meds :)

7. Christina says:

I do believe we are viewing a potential candidate for the AFP Hall of Fame. I don’t know how the nomination process works, but if it were up to me, I’d vote yes. This is the most awkward photo I’ve seen in months :-)

8. Trek Girl says:

I’m glad that the first thing that came to my mind was, “Ok, the little one is holding a balloon sword – big deal.”

That makes me feel pretty good about myself.

9. chris f says:

The boys got blue balloons and the girls got pink silk lined pouches.

10. Patty says:

I don’t think that’s a clip in the hair, but I do think I see a small earring in the visible ear. and that sweater is a girl’s sweater. Thought it was a boy at first, but then studied it again.
    Still, no one should make a balloon like that. I don’t care if it Was a sword and she is a girl. yeah, very awkward…

• Rattrap007 says:

It is a BOY. Chauncey is a boy’s name. He submitted a picture of HIMSELF. Read the caption. “Couldn’t contain HIS excitement”. Look at the balloon and think of what it looks like with that implication.

• LKT says:

Just because Chauncey is a typically male name does not mean that this child FOR SURE is a boy. List of male names now almost exclusively feminine: Dana, Stacey, Kelly. And lets not forget names that are currently used for BOTH sexes (my own child is one of these): Shawn/Sean, Micah, Michael (I know 2 girls named this), Kyle.

All I know for sure is this photo is killer funny!

• gottaloveawkward says:

the thing on the ear looks like a shadow; that would have to be one really huge stud…don’t think they had those spacers back then. and the sweater is *definitely* a boy’s sweater. everything about this photo screams “boy”. don’t know where the confusion is.

11. norm says:

Just wanted to vote: girl.

• gottaloveawkward says:

you’re completely wrong lol

• agnostida says:

Agree – girl!

I have 3 nieces with boys names – unusual boys names at that.

And no… the submitter does not write the caption – or does not always write the caption. A few months ago some submitter was bemoaning the fact that although she thought her picture was awkward enough, she did not understand the caption that had been attached to the picture – it seemed to be completely off the point (and I agreed with her). This shows that not all captions are written by the submitter.

Girl. I’m voting girl. And even if I am wrong in this case, beware the caption. They are not always on target.

12. Rattrap007 says:

It is a boy people. The “Hair Clip” is just dirt on the picture. Chauncey is a boy’s name. The so called “Girls” gift bag.. the pink is a candy bar. You can see the little santa on it.

• Julie says:

I agree. It’s a boy. And does that fact do anything, really, to lessen the awkwardness here? The picture is awesome. Full stop.

13. chirkle says:

what’s with Santa’s 10,000 mile stare?!

funniest. AFP. yet.

14. WJO says:

Doesn’t the person who submits the photo give the description? If so, the submitter stated that Chauncey couldn’t contain “his” excitment. I thought he was a boy the first time I looked at the picture and he still looks like a boy. Googled the name and it states it’s a boy’s name.

Awesome pic – if it were mine I would have it framed and on my desk so everyone could enjoy it.

15. Snowrider says:

Cool! A Christmas tree AND new hand held version of a Festivus pole…..

16. davidrh says:

Read the caption. Pulled down the picture…………

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

i can’t breatheeee….

17. Hacceber says:

She is holding a Disney Princess gift in her hands So diffidently a girl.

18. steph says:

OK…saw the bloodsplatter…then noticed the hair clip…see the tight grip Santa has on the child….now I see the balloon and the total awkwardness…..YIKES!!!!!!

but what was that balloon supposed to be in the shape of anyhow? tell me the elves aren’t handing out phallic balloons. a sword maybe? for Christmas? this is awkward to the max.

19. Cathy J says:

Yes, awkward–but she is a girl. The hair cut, the clip (no, not a curl, that is straight hair!), the lace/cut out pattern on the top of the sweater, the pretty sneakers all say girl. Which explains the balloon placement–she’s pretty much oblivious to these things at that age. Thank goodness.

20. Coach says:

The killer causing the mysterious blood splatter went…that way!

21. Sunshine says:

What? No comments on the tree? :)

22. adfogg says:

I find it curious that someone will post a photo here, then not reply when we the audience have questions. Chauncey, come back! We need you!

23. justme says:

My goodness AFP, what you do to me. A string of lame ducks and then a string of “Holy Crap Now THAT’S awkward”(s). You are an enigma wrapped in a mystery my friend…….

24. meri says:

AFP, I believe you have the cover photo of your next book here…this is the epitome of awkward!

25. Nobody says:

It’s totally a girl. That is a definite hair clip and I can’t be the only person who noticed she has earrings!

• mommajay says:

I noted the earrings, too, but they didn’t scream girl as much as the clip did. As a teacher, I’ve seen plenty of little boys in earrings… but I’ve yet to have one show up in a barrette! ;)

• Dan says:

Really, there is no barrette, folks. If you zoom in on it, you can see it’s the same purple stuff spattered across much of the print. I think it might be a girl anyway, though. But I’m with those saying, “what was the balloon SUPPOSED to be?”

26. joannabanana says:

That “blood spatter” is on the photograph itself. So is the spot that looks to some like a barrette. Still funny, though. Can’t believe the boy didn’t notice the balloon placement, but his face reads innocence itself. Too funny!

27. Jack says:

Santa really has a grip with that left hand there….

28. kathague says:

please some backstory, girl? boy? not sure. blood splatter on wall and gloves Has to have a story, ballon penis, i get it….

29. Melissa says:

I don’t think that the red splatter is actually on Santa’s sleeve or was there when the photo was taken, it looks like something that got on the photograph afterwards. And this is hilarious!

30. Alan says:

Rudolph probably had a nose bleed on the way….. hence he is the ‘Red Nose Reindeer’

31. JS says:

Are you kidding me? Are you FREAKING kidding me? Why – oh why – I just don’t get it. Why would someone take a pic like this – his right shoe is untied. Geez Louise!

32. JOY SKIVER says:

Totally laughed out loud on this one at first glance..then i saw the blood spatter?? Still funny though im both humoured and puzzled!

33. Nathan says:

Nothing says Christmas like an inappropriate erection and the cold dead eyes of a sociopathic Santa, dripping in blood. :-D

34. mommajay says:

Isn’t that a girl? I swear that’s a barrette in that hair…

Awkward balloon nonetheless.

35. julie says:

This is the funniest I’ve seen in awhile. Spontaneous laughter!

36. Valerie says:

Ho Ho… Ow! You’re cutting off Santa’s circulation! My chestnuts are turning blue!

37. Doe says:

“What do you want for Christmas kid?”
    “Can you slaughter my entire family?”
    “Sure! [chop slice dice] And here’s a suggestive balloon for you too!”
    “Gee thanks Santa, you’re the best!”

38. David says:

Well…um…OMG! As if I wasn’t afraid of Santa enough already!

39. tmansbamaw says:

One of the most awkward pictures I’ve ever seen! Thanks for sharing Chauncey and I love your shoes!

40. Carol says:

I wonder if his parents sent this out as a Christmas card……

41. MEAtY says:

That is hilarious! I love the mysterious red smears on Santa’s sleeve.

42. ThrillafromManilla says:

Uh, is that blood all over Santa’s sleeve and the wall…? That’s arguably more awkward than a poorly placed balloon.

43. CarrieM says:

The clown that tied that balloon needs to be fired.

44. Eoin says:

I wouldn’t touch this one with a ten foot……oops, maybe a poor choice of words, nevermind

45. Josh says:

I’m wondering who is more excited about Christmas coming up…

46. Harry says:

I guess thats what they refer to as the north pole…a thank you :)

47. Amy says:

What’s with the blood spatter?

48. Derp says:

Uh, too bad that’s a girl… Or at least I hope so with those shoes and a hair clip!

WOAH WOAH WOAH! Do I see some Dexter-esque blood spatter?! That balloon must be sharper than it looks!

49. Terri says:

LOL!!! That is funny!!!

50. TipToeDude says:

Ewwww. That’s pretty much all I can say.