The Graveyard Badge

November 29th, 2011

Needless to say, they didn’t sell many cookies that day.

(submitted by Katie)

48 Responses to “The Graveyard Badge”

1. Ramie says:

Girl Scout cookies are to DIE for!

2. Anonymous says:

Well I’m glad they didn’t sell any cookies…
    that would have been strange since the sign says brownie troop.
    :P

3. Susan says:

I come to this websit for the captions of the photos. This is one of the many examples! :)

4. Anne says:

We WILL collect our money-being deceased is not an excuse!!

5. Yeah says:

Local Brownie Troop 733 volunteers to help the local Democratic Party in its latest voter registration drive

6. Carol says:

Oh, and here I was thinking about the awkward spacing of the kids. The blank space above the WN and also at the right end. Like, did they lose a couple girls?

• KittyMarie says:

I’m the girl in the blue hat second from right.

Historically, there’s always been two Memorial Day parades in my town, one for each side of town. The earlier one really doesn’t get many spectators or participants. Everytime we did this particular parade, we had a crap turn-out. The downtown parade was really the big one,

7. Modine says:

It’s a comfort to know that when the Zombie Apocolypse comes there will be cookies.

8. Not an expert says:

Funny pic, but at least this troop performed a community service. My mom and a classmate’s friend were our scout leaders. Because they were both incredibly nosey, they arranged for our troop to tour various homes belonging to wealthy people in our town. I have no idea what badge we earned for that, but all of us girls remember the folks who had the multi-colored, adjustable mood lighting in their bathroom. It was only when we got older that we understood what that was all about.

9. Emily says:

I love how I’m in this picture awkward!

10. stan McDaniel says:

“Look. I found an Americna Flag.”

11. Jessica says:

awww i think this is for memorial day :) i can see how it was awkward because of the gravestones in the background but this is a special day of putting flags on the graves for all the soldiers. there is a day to take them down too.

but only 4 girls showed up for this? ha i think its cute :)

12. Harry says:

they were dying to get this badge

13. Denise says:

I was a Girl Scout my whole life and am a troop leader now. When I was a girl (Junior, Cadette and Senior) we put flags on the graves every Memorial Day. No badge involved just a service we provided our community….I am sure that these girls were doing just that in the photo. We even had the local newspaper do a story one year and took our pictures for the article!

14. Marc says:

This place is dead, let’s move to the supermarket…

15. Mike says:

this is what happens when you see a non Kosher cookie to Mr. Levin and a Kosher cookie to Mrs Levin (look closely at the grave stone). And I seriously think the nice hedge at the back would have made a MUCH better back drop!

• binkymae says:

Now you have me thinking of a way to leave a permanent record that my husband and I disagreed on important things. I wonder who ordered the engraving.

16. Monica says:

I never would have guessed they were marking the graves with flags. It’s just one of those pictures that makes you stop for a second and try to figure out why it looks strange.

17. Oddly enough, Brownie Troop 666 was photographed in a lovely garden that day.

18. The Highlander version of the Brownies… soon there will be only one.

19. You all are cruel, the grave robbing badge is not exactly easy to get.

20. A zombie emerges and says, “Oops, I thought it was the Brainy Troop.”

21. Riza says:

This made me laugh! Love the title.

22. Frank says:

This is making me hungry for thin mints

23. Joe Baxter says:

They were putting flags on the grave markers. How is that awkward?

• Candy says:

It ISN’T awkward tha that the scouts were putting flags on graves. It IS awkward that they took a photo of the troop with gravestones in the backdrop.

• Maureen says:

I think it’s a cute picture. These girls should be recognized for their patriotism, not made fun of.

• QuiteContrary says:

Aw, no one is making fun. It’s endearing and, to some of us, awkward too.

• Please says:

It IS a cute picture. You can recognize it as cute and recognize it as awkward at the same time. No one is making fun of them.

• rdub says:

Agreed with please and Quite Contrary…especially when there’s no explanation for why the Brownies are having their picture taken in a cemetery. Without knowing why they are there, it’s awkward.

• Joe Baxter says:

I disagree. I would be proud if my child was in a picture that celebrated doing a civic service. Maybe that’s just me. Would you have them take a picture with an open field in the background to commemorate the achievement? Every Veterans Day you see news stories about flags on veteran graves. Each of those shows pictures. Didn’t know they were all awkward.

• CarrieM says:

Please don’t take it so seriously. It’s just a picture of some cute little girls that some people found funny because it was in a cemetery. It just causes a visual double-take; it’s not meant to be disrespectful to veterans, flags, graves, cemeteries, or scouts.

24. Sarah says:

Looks like a parade route staging area.

25. binkymae says:

Love the cookie sale comment! I bet the Levin’s never thought their headstone would be on the internet via AFP. :)

26. Amanda says:

My mom made my sisters and I take a similar photo in front of the graves of our grandparents one year. I thought it was totally creepy at the time (I was about 12). Now it’s still creepy, but also funny and endearing.