Duct Tape

January 18th, 2012

Yet another use.

(submitted by April)

• In Misc47 Comments »

47 Responses to “Duct Tape”

1. DZD says:

I escaped once at the beach when I was about three and once found (on the otherside of the boardwalk….i had to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get there) I was ducttaped around the waist to a beach chair, under an umbrella, and dish towels the were brought to dry kids hair were now used to tie my hands in place. This wasn’t abuse. This was Nineteen Eighty Two and I could have drown!

2. Elyse says:

Not punishment. My siblings and I used to ducktape each others mouths shut all the time. Chill people.

3. Andrew says:

To all the negative comments, would you please unlike AFP and stop trolling the site because you’re narrow minded and jealous, people across the globe have opinions in all cultures on how to raise a child, and probably have not been outside your own little world. The only disgraceful thing about this pic is all the litter laying around when there are garbage bins, an amusing picture and assume that they are not even the parents of the kid in the back ground !!!! ????

4. Groovymom says:

OMG Will you people just lighten up? Kids do crazy stuff all the time! Everyone of us has put duct tape on our mouths at least once in our lives PLAYING around! Let kids be kids. This is why the world has become so whiny and kids don’t even know how to play anymore because someone’s always screaming abuse! IT’S NOT ABUSE!!!

5. Denise says:

Awwww… That’s going to hurt when it’s taken off… And probably be irritated afterwards.

6. Gdav says:

Why was the photo taken in the first place? Because the child had either put tape on her mouth or it was a set up. Anyone who draws anything insidious about this shot could seriously use some insight. RE: the rubbish under the bleachers and comments disparaging the parents? I would be more inclined to condemn those lovely folk who dropped it…

7. Gabrielle says:

I wonder if this would work on teenagers?!!

8. VinceD says:

Probably for the best if it kept any of that trash from ending up in her mouth

9. j lu says:

I honestly thought the woman’s belt was made of duct tape on my small screen and was confused about the response. Doubtful if that kid wasn’t bound elsewhere that she couldn’t remove that tape herself. My mom would make me suck on dish soap and hot pepper flakes if I swore; I would’ve begged for the tape!
    I tried this in high school to wax my lip (that doesn’t work well).

10. Rosieposie says:

seriously folks. her hands are free to pull that off whenver she wants, and usually kids that are being punished are walking around playing…

11. LKT says:

My brother ducted tape a kid to a wall once. The kid was terrorizing other, younger kids. The parents that WERE there and laughed and didn’t take her down (shame on those parents for not punishing their own kid!). When that kid was removed from the wall, she behaved a lot better.

For all we know, they taped her binky in her mouth because they ran out of water to clean it. Next time she dropped it on the ground, they would have had to use beer.

Kid isn’t crying. Doubt she needs therapy today.

12. ms-nancy says:

For the record, I have three children, and I can remember SEVERAL occasions where each one of them found rolls of tape (masking, duct, or electrician’s) and played imaginary games that involved taping their mouths shut or taping their ankles together. It was usually the “bad guys” who trapped them, and the whole point of the game was to be clever and escape from the bad guys.

Depending on circumstances, this photo is either evidence of child abuse or evidence of a healthy child with an active imagination. I’m voting that it’s the latter.

13. Scout C says:

Yeah, but not until they’re in high school, and with another person.

14. Sam says:

Seriously? I can’t think of a circumstance where duct tape is ever an appropriate disciplining tool.

• GreatDad says:

And I can’t think of a circumstance where it would be any of your business how a parent chooses to discipline their child! The pic is funny, and it is not up to you to judge the parents – period.

15. Alan says:

Silence is golden,
    And duct tape is silver.

16. Snowy says:

The overblown comments about how unfunny this is are actually funnier than the picture.

• Bothy says:

Aaagreed

• Stacey says:

Totally agree — I can’t keep a role of scotch tape in the house unless it is up high — my 4 year old will use the whole role to tape himself, then the teenager gets some to tape his nose and eyes wide open — tape is cheap fun!!

17. Jill says:

Probably not the best timing on this one…

18. Kay says:

I am disappointed to see this on the site, funny or not, after the recent uproar on FB of a similar punishment.

19. Kris says:

Calm down people! My younger brother and I used to pretend that one of us was kidnapped by some evil person and we would duct tape the mouth and be tied to a chair while the other sibling pretended to be Indiana Jones and rescued them. We used to have so much fun ripping the tape off of each other’s mouths because we knew it hurt the other one. Ahhh, the little joys of childhood. One roll of duct tape would last us for weeks!

20. Marty says:

Really calm down people! I run out of tape all the time because my kids tape their mouth shut or tape there hands together. Oh and heaven forbid that the kid is under the bleachers, in the shade! lighten up!

21. Dan says:

Took me a minute. This one is wrong if it’s a punishment, but the kid could just be playing with the tape. We all did weird things like that when we were kids.

22. I wouldn’t be surprised if the girl put it on herself when no one was looking. Hope her nostrils weren’t covered.

23. Cpt. Haddock says:

Poor kid :(

24. Nancy says:

Am I seeing this right? Did these rednecks put duct tape over a child’s mouth? And is she sitting in trash? This is neglect at best, probably abuse. Definitely not funny.

25. Tim G. says:

Perhaps AFP has been missing the news recently where people have been getting into serious trouble for doing this.

26. Anakerie says:

That is criminal… Child abuse.. Put the duct tape on the PARENTS faces.

27. scott says:

Uncool.

28. banana says:

not funny

29. Pamela says:

I had to do this to our six-year-old. (He’s 30 now and totally normal, except that he is in Navy Intelligence…. no further comments there…) I think it should be mentioned in every child care manual.

He’s got a child that needs a dose of duct tape too!! (There is justice in the world.)

30. JR says: