Shady

June 7th, 2012

Shady - Dad

This father has nothing to hide.

(submitted by Rashael)

16 Responses to “Shady”

1. Chelsea says:

Hahaha this is too funny because it’s my family. My Dad had transition lenses. I was the little baby in the background crying :) Don’t worry we didn’t actually pay for the print. The photographer gave it to us for free because he got a good laugh from it

2. 65f100guy says:

Back then they were called Photogrey and my dad had them. we have many pictures like this, except without the crying kids. This looks to be a classic Olen Mills close up, not the back drop. most of those places have portrait photographers who are still in school, working for spending money.

3. Elle Dee says:

Definitely transition lens.

My mum got new glasses a few days before we went on a holiday to the coast. Whilst walking along the beach I noticed that only one lens of her glasses had transitioned. The optometrist only treated one lens and she had to spend the rest of the week looking like a pirate. She would avoid going outside because of how ridiculous it looked.

My brother’s graduation is ruined because it was shot outside. He not only has dark lenses but is squinting and snarling because of the sun.

And my mum doesn’t understand why I refuse to get transition lens.

4. Carrie says:

Officially transition lenses were invented in the 1960′s. But the name brand Transitions came out in 1991. Back when there was “print photography” , a family would get a book that had a copy of each print picture taken that would usually be included in the package for the studio fee. Since the film had to be developed before you see the pictures you can end up with many pictures like this one, and that is how we end up with the awkward family photos from before the digital camera era.

5. Liz says:

Oh My Gosh…. what a picture!! This one is a winner…in some category! I’ve seen occasional men in my work setting ( they are not blind; not sensitive to the light) that insist on wearing sunglasses inside… either a “I’m too cool”; or “I don’t want anyone to see what or who I’m looking at” types. They want to look cool…but the end result looks like an 80′s drug dealer. The mom looks like she has had it with “Joe Cool” husband & furthered by 2 crying kids. SHe has a hint of an awkward smile going on…probably embarrassed by her husband. I agree with the earlier comment… everyone takes these pictures…why would anyone buy one!.

6. Penny Diamond says:

My first thought is that he could be blind (seriously) and wears dark glasses or even have a light sensitivity issue. Well, didn’t mean to spoil the fun.

7. Hallie says:

Maybe he was blind?

8. Shawna says:

Gotta love the transitions lenses…we have many photos with my mom’s glasses this same way. The first pop of the flash and dark they go!

• Jennifer says:

I didn’t think of transitions. But even if that explains the glasses, it doesn’t explain the two crying children or why they would take that photo rather than wait until they had settled. Especially if it’s a professional photographer?

• rdhddramaqn says:

I don’t believe that Transition Lenses existed in 1987…maybe I am wrong

9. MikeHunt says:

Doesn’t she look delighted.

10. Justin in Indy says:

People going to get pictures done I dont understand as it is. the fact that they then bought this print is beyond me.