Behind The Awkwardness: Baggy

January 8th, 2013

Behind The Awkwardness: Baggy - Behind The Awkwardness

“Mom decided to save money on costumes that “you only wear once.” She tied trash bags on my brother and I and stuffed them with newspaper, smeared brown eye shadow on our faces and pasted big signs on our chests that said TRASH.”

(submitted by Michelle)

16 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Baggy”

1. Tim says:

I did this as well as a kid, though the ideas were always my own. But I would never, ever “label” my daughter as “trash”. That’s just too symbolic for me, and as smart as she is, she’d pick up on it too. :/

2. Mike says:

The kid on the left totally looks like Paul Williams.

3. Megan-Fay says:

My parents did the exact same thing to me. I actually had previously considered submitting the photo–I am still slightly in shock having seen this photo, and having read the comments. I honestly thought I was the only one. My folks still brag that it was the best costume ever. No wonder we grow up with issues!

4. K B says:

I’ve never been trick or treating as rubbish, but ive had to wear bin bag costumes in the past. Only we stuck yellow and white stars on ours. Don’t know what we were supposed to be though?

5. Jane says:

Well, to be fair, looking up home-made costume ideas on the net wasn’t an option back in 1976.

6. Mayrose10 says:

My mother once took down my ruffle-y curtains and used a baste stitch to make me a princess outfit and then she put them back up afterwards. Take that, Scarlett O’Hara.

7. Soldi says:

It isn’t so much the costume that gets me (most people have gone as a hobo or garbage for whatever reason), but was it absolutely necessary to label the kids “TRASH”?

0_o

8. CJ says:

I can not believe I wasn’t the only one who’s mom decided “I can just put a trash bag on you and stuff it with newspaper” as a Halloween costume!!! Mine happened in the late 80s (I don’t remember what year specifically.)

• Kris says:

Oh my gosh mine too! Ugh I still remember it 35 years later. It was horrible.. if my mother knew how awful I felt about being labelled “garbage” that Halloween she’d never have done it (I hope!)

9. Tim C. says:

I had a similar situation as a kid in the late ’60s, but my mom kept putting the bags over our heads (I had three brothers) and we had trouble breathing until we stuck our noses through.

10. Jacks says:

My mom called it “being a gypsy”, the only difference being we wore the mis-matched clothes with a skirt.

11. Kristie says:

I can so relate. I can’t tell you how many years my mother told my sister and I that we were going as hobos, so “just pull something old and mis-matched out of your closet” ….. (sigh) ….