Behind The Awkwardness: Father Knows Best

May 8th, 2013

Behind The Awkwardness: Father Knows Best - Babies

“This is a picture my mother-in-law sent me while I was at work of my husband and son. Husband is playing my son’s leap frog game while my son is in the background… under a plastic tote. Men.”

(submitted by Monai)

17 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Father Knows Best”

1. happily divorced says:

my ex would have put the kid under a clothes basket…. which he did many times, when he wasn’t putting the cat under it.

2. Tom says:

I’d like to change my Vote for Father of the Year

3. mumei says:

The kid is too young for that game anyway. But seriously, X_X

4. Hoosier812 says:

See what happens? You buy the kid all these expensive toys and all he wants to do is dump them on the floor and play with the plastic bin that kept them. Dad wants his money’s worth out of the leap frog.

5. hedge says:

1) did he poke air holes into that thing?
    2) why didn’t I think of this when my son was a baby?

6. Jeanette says:

This is not funny, its dangerous. The child coud suficate.

• Minda says:

Agreed. Even if they only did it for a second to take the picture, the kid shouldn’t start thinking playing inside stuff like that is an option.

• Annette says:

I knew the perfect parents would get up on their high horse over this one to tell us they are better than everyone else and here they are! I grew up in the 70s before anyone cared about child safety. We played inside dry cleaning bags, risking suffocation and PERK residue, rode in the back window of cars, stood on the front seat while riding and drank beer out of our parents cups. We made it! And you know, the kid under the tub will too, it’s not a closed tub, just closed minds.

• MotherOfTwo says:

Annette, you are my hero.
          We turned out okay. Worries me about how today’s overprotected children are going to survive adulthood, outside of their childproofed nurseries.

• TMG says:

Annette, as a kid of the late 70′s, early 80′s myself, I completely agree with you. This overly ‘hands on’ ‘helicopter’ type parenting is going to do far more damage in the long run than letting kids explore and do things on their own ever did. As a parent myself, I don’t think I’d ever feel comfortable hovering over my kid. In fact, despite the complex pool saying ’12 and over’ unless supervised, I let my daughter go down there @ 9 on her own. I was trusted to go swimming by myself @ that age, and find it rather scary how over protective we’ve gotten of children, like they’re some fragile object that’s going to break into pieces if we so much as turn our heads.

• Lana says:

Ok guys. It is a clear plastic tote! Not a glass jar screwed to the floor! The child probably put it on top of himself and could easily kick it off. Ever seen a child play with a laundry basket? Hours of entertainment!

• Marquia says:

I doubt they intentionally put him under there. Looks like he was playing with the tub and the Dad didn’t notice.

• Monai says:

This photo is of MY son & husband… Thank you to everyone that defended us against the Negative Nancies. Hoosier812 said it best, this kid has all the toys a child could ever hope for and he constantly wants to play with the plastic tub. He is a HAPPY and HEALTHY little boy and I’ll continue to post any silly photos that may be taken!

• Chelz says:

Monai, keep ‘em comin! This had me LMAO! I caught my hubby doing the same thing except with wooden trains…he took the boy’s train, put the boy in the clothes basket, and proceeded to “show him how you really play with a train set.” I only wish I had a pic!!
            To you helicopter parents: 1)please note the bin is on carpet…plenty of air will get through 2) MIL took the pic, child was never in any danger. Please get a grip. Thank you

7. Tom says:

Looks like Oscar from “The Office”.

8. Jeff says:

Now that’s some quality bonding time right there.