3rd Happiest Place on Earth

July 15th, 2009

Wanna hear a story, little… No? Okay.

(submitted by Justin)

123 Responses to “3rd Happiest Place on Earth”

1. Kristin says:

Loved going to both Story Land and Santa’s village when I was younger! This photo brings back memories for me.

2. Belle says:

I think it’s safe to say that almost every kid in New England has this picture of him/her somewhere in their house. I loved Storyland and Santa’s Village as a kid. I still drive by Storyland a lot on the way to see relatives and wonder how it’s changed.

3. staj says:

i think i have a picture of myself somewhere screaming with fear while sitting next to humpty dumpty at this same park…gotta try and locate it

4. Blake says:

I freaking LOVED Storyland as a kid! I’m pretty sure now I’d think it was a post-apocalyptic movie set or something, but that place was awesome to my 7-year old self…

5. Melissa says:

There’s a very similar photo of my brother and I next to this very same clown in 1979.

6. missy says:

“They all float down here.”

7. KC says:

I love Story Land

8. Harry says:

haha! when we went there my sister was traumatized by the Little Miss Muffet bench

9. Trace says:

Hee! Oh, such fun memories!

My favorite Story Land memory was of some friends who inspired a mutiny on the pirate ship ride- they were about to lay siege to Cinderella’s castle when they were “contained by security”. It was pretty brilliant- even if they did get escorted out of the park…

10. Kitefox says:

According to Wikipedia and the StoryLand website, it’s located in Glen, New Hampshire.

11. Blucat says:

Oh! Oops! I just saw the location on the sign. Wow! Dense much? lol

12. Blucat says:

Where is this “Storyland” of which everyone speaks? Or is it, God forbid, a chain with multiple locations? *gulp*

• George says:

Check out the sign: Glen, New Hampshire. Just up the road (or down, if you prefer) from Santa’s Village and Six Gun City. These were the best New England had to offer with regards to amusement parks. My uncle used to take carloads of kids there, at least 3-5 times a year. He even holds several records at these places. At Storyland (on one cloudy/rainy day) he and I made 147 consecutive trips on a single ride. There was no one else in line, and when the ride came to the end, the guy asked if we wanted to continue so we did.

• George says:

I also have several other fun memories of Storyland. I was there when the Cinderella carriage broke loose from the horses and rolled over several times, ending at the bottom of the hill. There were several injuries, and I believe one person (the carriage driver?) was actually killed. I also have a picture of me with Cinderella, as she was sitting on my lap. I’ll be honest, it wasn’t my unhappiest moment at Storyland. :-)

13. Lindsay says:

OMG I so went here every summer for years!! I have a picture with this clown tracking my childhood!

14. colleen says:

Can’t sleep, clown’ll eat me. Can’t sleep, clown’ll eat me…

15. Kat says:

Oh man, Story Land!! That place really is great – way better than it seems in the picture!

16. juan grande says:

I’ve been there! Awesome!

17. Kimberly says:

I think this is a great origin story for the Joker.

18. April says:

Anybody else think of Poltergeist, or It? I swear, clowns should be outlawed for their creepiness!!

19. Susie says:

Went to Storyland all the time as a child in the 70s and of course have the same picture.

20. Baron says:

He just wanted that ice cream cone so badly

21. punkasin says:

the caption is the BEST!

22. Tocsnai says:

Wall Drug has various western characters posed on its benches for portraits just such as this one. I’ve got some splendidly morose-looking teenagers seated, half-asleep, in this year’s vacation photos.

23. Liz says:

and my dad used to say “the day your kid says ‘dad i don’t want to go to storyland anymore’ is the best damn day of your life”

24. That’s a pretty POed kiddo! Love it

25. Lori says:

he looks more bent than grandma did in the knee shelf pic lol

26. Laurie says:

It reminds me of the time when I was 12 and my sister was 7 and we were in the Orlando area on our way to The Bahamas. A trip to DisneyWorld had been hinted at by my mother. Unfortunately, my dad wanted to go to Key West and see Ernest Hemmingway’s house instead. In all the pictures of my sister and I in Key Wey, we look miserable (it was hot) and pissed (it was not DisneyWorld). We still haven’t let my dad forget that even though we know now that they could not afford to take us to see The Mouse.

27. Kristie says:

I have a pic of myself sitting by this same clown when I was probably 4 or 5. I smiled though