Sunflower Power

August 10th, 2009

Sunflower Power - Family Portrait

This is what happens when you’re only able to grow three sunflowers.

(submitted by Kelly)

123 Responses to “Sunflower Power”

1. Dave says:

It took me a while, but I finally saw them. That is some kick-ass camouflage!

2. bikermomrt says:

I just found out that we are getting our first granddaughter – I think I found the special matching out fits for her and her mom (fingers crossed) I hope I can find the pattern and material. On second thought, I want to be part of their lives so the seach continues.

3. Richard Davies says:

A good way to make use of that old curtain fabric.

4. Kelly says:

“I made you something it’s a shirt. “I used the leftover wallpaper from the bathroom”

“Will you try it on now?”

“Now”

“Well, in case I have to fix it before you leave again and we don’t see you for another nine years. I wanna make sure it fits. “

5. Peter says:

Aaaagh – sunflower cammo. Almost entrely sucessful

6. MJ says:

My younger sister and I had disturbingly similar jumpers when we were little… Hello, 90s. Nice to see you again.

7. jenny says:

These two girls need to be introduced to the bacon brothers!

8. Stephanie says:

My mom still has a shower curtain & drapes made out of this exact same fabric, maybe she’ll let me recycle it into clothing for the grandkids so I can convince Dad that it’s time to renovate. ROFLMAO!!

9. bowl winkle says:

even the sunflowers themselves have turned away in shame.

10. Kat says:

I can see the cute, and I can also understand why it fits in the awkward category.

When I was young, my mom and I sewed matching/coordinated outfits for our family. We liked it, especially my 2 little sisters who are 18 months apart and did EVERYTHING together for the first ten years or so.

By the time I got to be about 14-15 I wasn’t into being all matchy-matchy anymore. Obviously that point comes at different times in every girl’s life. BTW, my mom STILL goes out and buys fabric by the bolt to make cute fun dress-up dresses for the grandkids. Love you Mom!

11. bastet11 says:

Someone had a discount bolt of fabric that needed to be used up.

12. mark says:

Where are the people? All I see is a sea of sunflowers.

13. Lauren T. says:

It is kinda cute, but it’s only cute if you’re enjoying it — and the oldest daughter is certainly NOT enjoying herself. $50 says she turned either goth or punk as soon as she was out from under her mother’s thimble.

14. Dave says:

Has anyone else noticed that those are actually pants, not dresses??? Awkward.

15. killer kate says:

I remember back in the early-mid nineties when sunflowers were all the rage in home decor, and in fashion as well. Mom here clearly wiped Hancock Fabrics completely out of their sunflower fabric pattern. The sunflowers look like they’re turning away in shame. LOL

• Chestna says:

Ah, yes, the sunflowers of the early ’90s. I was homeschooled at that time, but had to take a standardized test at the local middle school near the end of each school year – you know, so the State of Florida could rest assured I was actually learning stuff. Anyway, I’ll never forget the way I felt when I arrived at the school.
      All the girls’ outfits were mix-n-matchable. The big thing at the time was white background (denim if you were Really cool) with big sunflowers printed all over. With all the shirts, vests, shorts, pants, shoes, hair accessories and so on, all the girls could have swapped outfits and accessories among themselves and no one would have noticed. I was creeped out.

16. colleen says:

This reminds me of The Sound of Music when Maria makes the kids’ play clothes from old curtains.

17. MareBear says:

Better this than little girls in ‘hoochie’ clothes. Of course, I would never do this to my kids….

• mel says:

OMG! :-D where’s that awkward family photo?? This is mom in her tight mini and her two girls dressed to look like her…lol…sad but i agree mare

18. elle says:

ha ha ha, it kind of looks like the plants have exploded onto them!!! very nice. :)

19. funda62 says:

Quit your whining people! Things can be “cute” and awkward at the same time. I sew for my girls and would be so embarrassed by something like this.

20. Bernardo says:

This fabric is second only to the Simpsons’ corn cob curtains.

21. Sarah says:

I actually think this is extremely cute!

22. Denise says:

Where are the girls’ yellow t-shirts? Mom, you call that matching? :)

23. bluenosedwowser says:

I wonder how they react when people try to get the seeds out….

24. Clucky says:

Mom’s doing some kind of sunflower gang sign with her hand.

25. Robert says:

“This is mom’s one of many bad ideas”…

26. marty says:

I almost couldn’t see the people in this photo. Great camoflage.

27. classic-peg-to-the-max says:

Are those jumpers?!

28. And all I have is a sunflower tattoo! I have a lot of catching up to do!

29. Maya B says:

I gotta admit, I love sunflowers…REAL sunflowers. Sunflower prints? Not so much.

30. grimey says:

…too bad they were attacked by Killer Bees 5 minutes later!

31. Maureen says:

I was that girl once. I’m still in therapy.

32. princessluceval says:

“I saw it in the window and just had to have it!”

33. Marilee says:

I think they look cute, and mom is proud of her sewing.
    Someday this site will be filled with photos of everybody’s ‘muffin tops’ outfits, and tight pregnant belly photos. This was part of the style in the era it was sewn. I’ve seen MUCH worse on this site, and this isn’t one of them.

34. Lee says:

I used this same fabric for outfits for my kids – (10 years ago)!

35. Camouflage: unsuccessful.

36. Nikkiboo says:

God, the most awkward part about this photo is the fact that those aren’t dresses…those are some weird version of OVERALLS.

37. nite owl says:

Mom sure didn’t skimp on the fabric, either! Those dresses are sure to get plenty of use as the girls grow into them for the next decade!

38. Mental Mouse says:

Well, the little one looks psyched, the older girl looks like she’s humoring her Mom. (“If you can’t honor them, at least humor them!” :-) )

39. Emily says:

This is exactly why I have vowed never to make clothes for my children! No matter how good you are (or think you are), something like this always happens…

40. Dawn says:

As the “victim” of several of these types of outfits myself, I feel for the oldest daughter who is well aware of how this looks, while the younger sister is still excited for the matching outfits. My prediction? The older girl will be sporting a pink Mohawk and piercings by age 14

• hcw says:

Yes, we had matching clothes too. I particularlly remember the extra hem techinque. Mom would sew two flaps of material together so that when we grew, we could pull out the whip stitch and Wella! you could still wear the masterpiece for another six months. Of course, I didn’t realize that mom had vodka bottles stashed in her pop-up sewing machine cabinet until after her death. Then that explained alot to my sisters and me.

• ME says:

OH gosh I laughed so hard at that one. Glad to see my family isn’t the only ones that did that. Only my mom’s was tequila in the laundry room above the washer.

• Jenny says:

Thank you for that! I almost choked on my drink when I read your comment!

• Nance says:

Another victim here! (Both the home sewn matching outfits AND the bottles stashed around the house.) I have to send this to my sister. : )

41. cathyg says:

aaahhh, its kind of cute….at least she doesnt have a baby with a cap that makes it look like a giant sun flower….

42. Kathy says:

This is the stuff of my nightmares.

43. Jessy says:

I think Mom went a little nuts when the sale on sunflower fabric was announced.

44. Snowrider says:

YIKES! I can’t tell exactly where Mom ends and kids begin!

45. dragonmamma/naomi says:

I think it’s pretty cute! But then again, I’m the kind of person who wears a pumpkin t-shirt and pumpkin socks when I go to the pumpkin patch. It’s called HAVING FUN!!!

46. Nigel says:

“These? Why, yes, I DID sew them myself as a matter of fact. The girls just love them. DON’T YOU, GIRLS!?!”

• Mary says:

Nigel, that’s hilarious! The middle sis is hating this with every fiber of her being (and dress), and lil’ sis is too young to realize the dreadfulness if it all. I hope there were no bees in this field or hungry birds.

47. Sara says:

She bought a bolt of fabric. She also made some curtains and a dust ruffle.

48. ArachNerd says:

Do you get a discount when you buy your sunflower fabric in bulk?

49. hannahbanana says:

Ugh….my mom used the exact same material for several patterns when I was a kid. I will forever hate sunflowers because of this.

• sarah says:

i had shirts made with this material, too!

• generickat says:

Me too! My mom just loooooved making jumpers out of it..then she made me shorts and cut out one of the flowers and ironed it onto a shirt (which, I was in a commercial with that one on)..aaand she made me a “dress jacket” out of it…and a scrunchi..and I’m sure there were more things but I’m blocking them out….
        awful fabric.

• Penny D. says:

Yeah, I can almost pinpoint the era of this photo because of that fabric. It made me hate sunflowers, too. In fact we may have had a photo almost like this ourselves. Matching outfits… gah.

• il penseroso says:

I had shorts in this material and a denim vest with sunflower iron-ons… yes, a denim vest. Hellooo ’90s. I blame “Blossom.”

• Beth says:

I had shorts out of this too… and the denim vest and a great blossom hat too! We have a picture of me on vacation on the beach in that outfit. I thought I was so cool!

50. FlowerPower says:

Wow! Mom is bringing sexy back with that outfit.