Spic and Span

August 21st, 2009

Spic and Span - Grandparents

You can always count on grandma to keep the house tidy.

188 Responses to “Spic and Span”

1. Kay says:

It’s my momma, Julia (Julia her namesake commented above. She’s my niece)! Mom has a garden. From that garden she shares the produce with her family, friends and neighbors. She had a groundhog that was eating her tomatoes, cantaloupe and other yummieness, sooooo, she shot it. She figured no one in the family would believe her sooooo, she had my brother-in-law take a picture. She sent the picture to some family members and friends. One of the friends’ daughter’s posted the pic [online] 6 or 7 years ago! Since then, it reappears from time to time.

At least most of comments are genuinely funny…others, over the years, haven’t been so nice.

So listen up, Kids! Moral of the story…whatever is put out there in cyberspace…NEVER GOES AWAY!!

…and yes, she was proud of herself!

2. Dave says:

Quit Chuckin My Wood!

3. mc says:

This picture rules!!! I love her nonchalant look like this happens everyday!

4. Laura Madere says:

Who needs a man when ya got grandma around? You go, grandma! Sure wish I had her around here right now, I’ve been listening to something scratching in my wall the last few nights. I am scared! lol

5. Jerdog says:

How many woodchucks would a grandma shoot if a…
    Wait that’s terrible. It doesn’t rhyme at all.

6. tbeoe says:

Don’t tell her how dry the potroast was last night…

7. Sue says:

3 Questions ..

1. I seriously need an ID on the gun. I’d guess it’s a .22RF lever action, based on the skinny barrel and the pitiful excuse for a front sights. BB guns and pellet guns usually have elaborate affairs for a front sight. Center fire rifles would be bigger and better taken care of.

2. What the heck is that animal? Too big to be rodent and it doesn’t have the rings or fuzzy tail like a racoom. ‘Coons have tousled looking gray fur.

3. WHY IS SHE BRINGING IT INTO THE KITCHEN???

• Sue says:

I meant ‘possums have tousled-looking gray fur.

• eddie says:

1. it’s a shotgun. it’s an old ithaca model 66 ‘super single’. it’s a single shot shotgun that opens when you pull the lever down. i don’t know why they made them that way, but they did. (i know someone will doubt this… go do a google image search for ‘ithaca m66′.)

2. groundhog. trust me, i live an hour from punxsutawney. that is definitely one of phil’s relatives.

3. they’re delicious.

8. Sheri Mossi says:

This woman looks EXACTLY like my grandmother and is a fitting depiction! I’m having a hard time believing it’s not her. I wonder who this woman is because it looks as if my “Granny” has a twin somewhere.

9. aimee says:

DINNER IS READY YA’LL. NW THATS WHAT U CALL FAST-FOOD/

10. torresongs says:

“I told that durn kitty-kat to quit meowin’ when Jeopardy is on!”

11. ohsnapiam58 says:

“Cause I’m a Woman…W O M A N”

12. ThugsMa says:

It definitely is a groundhog. It also looks like it has been dead awhile, as it is stiff. It’s too dark to be a possum. It has long front teeth and no real tail to speak of. It is a groundhog.

It’s not awkward at all. That’s city people talking.

13. Julia says:

This is MY GRANDMA!!! OMG, I was just looking through this website and saw this picture of my grandma Julia! She just killed a raccoon and picked it up with her bare hands; nothing unusual since she lives on a farm. That’s not a gun cabinet behind her, though. It’s the laundry room. Oh, How I love you, grandma.

14. James says:

Love the pic! She reminds me of a delightful lady I know who lives not far away. Looks like a groundhog to me too; a pretty big one.

Amazing how people get all upset over a gun anywhere near a kid. Guns are part of ordinary life for many families, including my own. Children are consistently taught to respect them, and they’re kept out of reach. As I see it, among the worst problems one can have with guns is that of needing one and NOT having it.

As for the “poor” animal, quite aside from the hazard it poses to horses it was probably wrecking Granny’s garden, upon which she has most likely depended for food for most of her life.

She’d never have shot the critter merely for spite. Nor is it likey she regards it a trophy. She’s smiling because now her garden is safe and she’ll have groundhog stew. And because she’s still a crack shot ;-)

15. Deborah says:

That’s the last time that varmit gets in my garden!

16. Scrappy says:

damn right, look at those triceps

17. Cami says:

Best. Pic. Ever.

I need this blown up poster-size. A killing (excuse the pun) could be made with the posters. Especially in Texas where I live.

18. Flim Springfield says:

Any granny that can handle a lever action at night and bring her kill into a home isn’t a granny I would mess with.

19. maia says:

definately a wombat.

20. Lindsay says:

I think it’s a possum, the head’s too pointy to be a cat and the body too bullet-shaped(pardon the pun).

21. Btelgeus says:

W-W-WHAT????

And JT, doesn’t look like a fake. She is not holding it by the tail but by one of the legs. The tail is behind the hand.

22. JT says:

So fake. Look at her right hand, the tail isn’t even in her hand ! And the “gun” was prabably a broom

23. joyce says:

I saw Sat. Night Special Watchman and laughed my ass off for several minutes. THEN I scrolled down to Granny. My husband had to come out and see why I was laughing so hard I was crying. What I really love is the pride on her face!!! She is truly awesome.

24. mixedmedia says:

How much wood was that woodchuck chucking before Gramma got aholt of him? (Laughed til I cried over this one, BTW!)

25. A. Cobra says:

It is a woodchuck/groundhog.

They destroy gardens, make big tunnels that can seriously harm livestock, etc.

And they are tasty.

Sooo…

26. peeps says:

Is grams holding a shotgun or a bb gun?

27. bobo says:

that looks like a wombat. Why would anyone kill one of thoses?

28. Carolyn says:

“Now they ain’t endangered no more”
    Gran knows how to solve an environmental argument

29. GuardMama says:

Props, Gramma. Nothing else says “rural” street cred, quite so succinctly.

30. Levis says:

Street Cred, Grams!

31. jerry says:

Now there is a woman worth marrying! They don’t make enough good gals like her anymore.

32. Awkward Turtle says:

My grandma used to go out in her back yard, grab a chicken by its neck, wring it, slap it down on a tree stump and chop its head off. I’ve seen many a “chicken running around with its head cut off.” Later the chicken would be dinner for me and my cousins. So this doesn’t shock me at all. Go granny!

• elizabeth says:

my grandmother tied the chickens to the clothes line and went through chopping heads and let the drain and flop on the line till they drained out. funny how i never ate chicken that night for supper. saw her do it many times…YYYUUUKKK

33. paco says:

Homeowner shall always tile the floor for the blood letting and visceration.

W.Va. Buiding Code

34. funnanc says:

Goin’ to the Methodist Potluck – bringin’ her favorite covered dish.

35. Tim says:

“Pa, we eat tonight!”

36. Mary says:

Um… Isn’t it a raccoon?

37. Flyboy says:

Whats for dinner Gama? I hope that’s not why you invited us over!

38. Alekx says:

I LOVE the title of this one for the picture.
    Perfect. Hahah.

39. leah says:

WHOA Grams. Put that shotgun down. HAHA.

40. charmy says:

That is sooooo not a possum…its looks like an oversized gopher. I actually think it might be a ground hog.

41. Teo says:

… and to have a really ‘fresh’ meal on the table.

42. AggieLou says:

I think this is horrible. Dead animals are not funny.

43. the Griffin says:

OMG, this picture is hysterically funny!

44. NeonKoi says:

I think the critter is a ground hog. I thought possum at first but it doesn’t have the long tail.

Granny bring home the vittles and it’s not roadkill tonight! YEEHAW!!

45. Kate says:

what the HELL IS THAT

46. Cara says:

Brilliant!

47. Vikki says:

What is that critter she’s holding? It’s awkward that I can’t tell what the hell it is.

• brian says:

i think it was the henderson’s cat.

the brilliance of this picture is in the details–if you can tear your eyes away from the horror of gram’ma and her trophy possum/cat/’coon you will be able to notice some of the other horror–the gun cabinet in the back that seems to double as a curio cabinet and gram’ma’s spiffy ensemble (is that a one piece sleeveless plaid jumpsuit with a cinched waist and did she pair that with a well-worn pair of capezzio dance shoes?)… oh my.

• Kate says:

Look at the reflection in the glass on the cabinet. There is a TODDLER playing outside next to a swingset. That is classic. The devil is definitely in the details here.

And after much examination, I do believe it is a cat.

• Anana says:

“Capezio”, Brian?
        Call me, girrrl!

• vin says:

Woodchuck.

• Jeremiah says:

Um…*puts head in hand*….geez guys…where ARE all of you from? That’s a POSSUM! Holy crap…and I thought us folks from LOUISIANA were supposed to be undereducated and ignorant…wow.

Seriously, though. It’s a possum. Google it.

• Rich says:

Maybe you should Google it. That is NOT a possum. I have possums on my property fairly regularly, and that is not one of them. I think the groundhog folks are correct. Take another look at that tail…short and fuzzy, not long, skinny and naked like a possum. Rest assured that your assumptions about folks from Louisiana still stand unchallenged.

• mc says:

racoon or woodchuck, definitely not possum…

• Becca says:

Woodchuck

48. confused says:

but why did she bring it into the house?

• cg says:

So she can clean it…fix it up…put it in a regulation-size casserole dish (with a lid) and take it to Marney’s (oh, and it will be properly heated).

• Earl says:

Can’t believe you remember that Thanksgiving letter. That has to be a classic. It would be sooo fitting to have grandma show up at Marney’s with this crtitter in tow.

• Candy says:

Pa’s out back with his compound bow trying to catch another critter so they can prepare two regulation-sized casserole dishes of stuffing (neither being filled to the top, of course). Unfortunately it won’t be sans meat since they need to make good use of the critters, ’cause that’s good eatin’!

• Katie says:

Haha! I love the Marney reference. That letter still cracks me up to this day. Well done, love it.

49. Jenny says:

I’m just glad she has gloves on. . . Ew.