11 Days To Xmas: Oh, Christmas Bush

December 14th, 2009

11 Days To Xmas: Oh, Christmas Bush - Christmas

This family traveled all the way to their front yard to chop down this festive shrub.

(submitted by Rachael)

82 Responses to “11 Days To Xmas: Oh, Christmas Bush”

1. Bella says:

It’s time to trim the Christmas hedge kids!

2. Mandy says:

I have looked at hundreds of these tonight, but I almost just went into labor when I saw this one!! And the title… Amazing

3. Aimee says:

Looks like something out of a Doctor Who Christmas special. Beware the Trees!

4. Kclarke5 says:

My Dad does the same thing EVERY YEAR! He has started using Christmas as an appropriate time to rid the property of “ugly trees” — his words! This year’s tree was particularly hideous, and Dad explained to me it’s because the weather’s been too good. “That’s why the branches grew so far apart,” he explained. I’ll never forget the year he dragged in a cedar bush… LOL! I have started threatening to leave a fake one on their doorstep one of these days.

5. Lu says:

It’s the venus fly trap of christmas trees! After this picture it grabbed him, squeezed the life out of him and.. feasted.

6. Carrie says:

Anyone seen the episode of That 70′s Show (1st season I think) where the guys steal a tree from the side of the interstate to save money?

Eric’s dad gives him $40 to buy one but Eric and his buddies want to use the money for beer instead. The tree comes home and Eric’s mother admires it, saying “It’s so FRESH.” Just then a big pigeon or something comes flying out of the tree and she runs off :-D

The tree looked great in the living room until state troopers showed up at the door to take it back.

7. Catharine says:

So sad but I can relate. My dad once chopped off the top of an overgrown bush in the front of our house and called it a tree. They swear they never did this, but I know and remember!

8. Laura says:

I like it – it’s unique. In fact, if I had a Christmas tree like this, I could actually get all of my ornaments on it ( I have way too many ornaments…). I bet this “tree” looked even better with all of the presents underneath it on Christmas morning!

9. Patrice Ochs says:

When my first daughter was 7, I was pregnant with my second daughter, and I was unemployed, so we had to make due with branches from the neighbor’s cuttings of his tree for our tree that we tied together and put in water. The branches lasted until after the new year. We did not feel that we lacked anything, because we had lights and decorations that made the branches look wonderful.

10. Patrice Ochs says:

I can remember having decorated four trees in one year, because the first one was a small fake tree that my daughter offered to her class at school w/o informing me. I had a plant that looked like a tree, so I switched the lights and orinments and tied the plant to the rail going up the stairs to the second floor. The kids came home and were horrified to see the dropping plant and made such a fuss that I took it down. My brother-in-law gave me another tree that promptly died two days before Christmas, so I finally went and bought one and we had a very happy Christmas finally!

11. jenniep says:

is that a bathroom rug under the bush?

12. Nick says:

Nothing says “Christmas” quite like a juniper pulled up from the front yard.This is ONE branch of a juniper,which were quite popular in the 70′s as far as landscaping goes.It wasn’t until the 80′s that everone found out that the roots grew 1 foot per day,….when they were trying to get rid of the damn things.

13. Will M. says:

Few know that the scene in the Wizard of Oz where the trees throw apples was actually written with Dorothy’s little brother Danny getting eaten by the evil trees. This must be a scene from that long lost film. He is a goner.

14. Jilly Bean says:

Oh and btw, LOVE the pink walls.

15. Cass says:

This reminds me of the arborvitae tree my mom chopped down for last year’s tree. It was very Charlie Brown.

16. Sarah says:

When times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do. Creativity is key!

17. HappyMom says:

Love the originality! The first year I was married I hung my newly purchased ornaments on an Umbrella Tree that sat in a huge gaudy brass flowerpot. My dad was not impressed – the next year he made sure to bring me a freshly chopped tree.

18. Wendy says:

Such an interesting picture! Look at the neatly groomed child, the neat little rug under the tree stand, the three wise men neatly lined up in the neat and clean house… And then there’s this crazy tree…!

19. Angie says:

I’d like to see the tree topper for that one!

20. Ok, long time reader, first time commenter. Here to say, WT*?

21. Jason says:

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like the tree has developed a mouth and is going to eat the kid?

22. SassaFrass88 says:

We had a Christmas Bush one year! Husband thought he’d save some money and wandered out into our local forest. It was dark and he was alone, so he did the best he could.

The branches were long and curved up, so the more you tried to ‘trim’ it, the more bare spots you had, so we just had a big bush with long upward curving branches. It made it worse after trimming off the top just to be able to fit the star up there.

The cats LOVED it though! And it was the first year that we really didn’t care that the cats all massacred that poor little Christmas bush. They had fun playing in it and we had a good laugh watching them in all of their wide-eyed glory!

23. LV says:

O Christmas shrub, O Christmas shrub, how lovely are…..

24. carol says:

Wow! I’ll have to go make sure the neighbors down the street aren’t missing one of their bushes.

25. Cee says:

The question is: did that shrub come out of their yard, or a neighbour’s yard?

26. Snowrider says:

Could be worse…..It could be an aluminum pole. Happy Festivus!

27. Steve says:

“Yay! I got the three large chess pieces I asked for!”

28. Rachael says:

The most awkward part of this picture: To this day, my father finds nothing wrong with this tree.

29. Awkward Turtle says:

Rusty: Dad, this tree won’t fit in our back yard.

Clark: It’s not going in the yard, Russ. It’s going in the living room.

30. Tim says:

TRUE STORY: I had a childhood friend whose father did the exact same thing – cutting out the front bush of his house! It looked just like this only FOUR TIMES BIGGER! It litterally took up half his front room!

Legend has it that it took the kids four days to find their presents under the tree…

31. bmj2k says:

We all got so fixated on the tree no one even mentioned the kid’s upswept blonde mohawk.

32. SWMBO says:

It used to be a “tradition” to cut down a cedar at my husband’s family’s farm – since it was not a “tree” farm – we had many a Christmas in the early 80′s with trees not too unlike this bush. Glad to see I wasn’t the only one suffering…

33. Mark says:

I’m afraid to ask what was hung by the fireplace.

34. vito mac says:

ahh yes, the good ole festivus shrub, all the holidays comined into one convenient plant

35. Mick says:

We have a 23 month old and my mom (her grandma) put their tree up recently and to put it up out of my daughter’s reach, put the tree on an end table. We to their dismay (my folks) the tree was too tall – solution? Cut the top 2 feet of the (plastic) tree off – now they have a very conveinent Christmas bush as we all call it . . .

36. Georgie says:

Boo! I don’t think this is awkward. I like this tree.

37. Scout says:

Of all the Charlie Brown trees – this one is the Charlie Browniest of them all!

38. Chernobyl Farms tomatoes adorning the shrubbery…I’m still laughing!!

39. bmj2k says:

Move kid! It is about to eat you!

40. John says:

It image appears to be a TIFF image, most browsers can’t read them.

41. Dory Dirtbag says:

There just has to be a story behind this.

42. Angel Baby says:

With the red ornaments it looks like a tomato plant from Chernobyl Farms.

43. Erin says:

What little Benjamin Cohen really wanted was a Christmas tree—instead, he had to settle for the Hanukkah bush.

44. chillax says:

45. Gayle says:

Is it just me, or is there no picture?

• Sunny says:

It probably has to do with your computer, unfortunately. Basically, the picture has a little boy standing in front of the Christmas tree…except the tree looks kind of like a bush.

46. J N says:

lol that’s awesome!

47. eh says:

? what pic ?

48. CB says:

There’s no picture posted.

49. Zoe says:

this reminds of something out of The Little Shop of Horrors – its fronds are reaching for the child!

50. Becky says:

How awkward…you forgot to put the picture up!