Champagne On Ice

February 14th, 2010

Champagne On Ice - Engagement

(submitted by Mark)

127 Responses to “Champagne On Ice”

1. LisaSF says:

“Here. Hold this.”

2. Sonn says:

OK, OK, OK. Here is my Minnesota take on this whole thing. Zombie face sniffing aside.

I think someone captured this photo as this couple were getting engaged, possibly on Valentine’s Day if they’re up north. Hence the flowers and champagne, hence the reason she has a nice looking new rock and he does not. They’re newly engaged.

They’re outdoors in winter because… well there’s a million and one reasons why, why not? To get some air, to get good light for a photo, they’re fond of the back deck, who knows. Maybe they just came back from a romantic walk in the woods. Maybe they’re coming in from making a snowman. Or skating or skiing or fishing or skjoring or who knows what else they enjoy doing together outdoors as a couple. Maybe it was a family gathering and great uncle Frank always piles too much wood on the fire so it was too hot to be inside. Whatever, it’s like a choose your own adventure for a backstory!

As for outerwear, if this is indeed V-day, round here we stop wearing parkas around then barring unusual cold snaps because the weather gets warm. It’s still snowy, but warm enough to finally get out of jackets. (Today for example, it was up near 30, which was so gorgeously nice and sunny everyone at my work came in short sleeves; it felt awesome!) The sweaters look perfectly adequate to me unless it’s subzero and they’re planning to spend the night out there or something. I think it depends on where you live and how cold hardy that makes you. Also if the “inside was too hot” theory is true they wouldn’t have coats obviously.

The snow glasses didn’t need any special effort – that is what happens when you set stemware down in fluffy, fresh snow and pick the glasses up again. The soft stuff kind of settles around the top of the base and stays! Although I suppose it is feasible tthey intentionally packed snow onto the glasses to make the point? (We’re in the snow! See? Look! Snow!)

I guess holding the roses forward could be considered kind of funny, but I still don’t vote for horribly awkward. I think it’s just how they were. Maybe she is holding them out to make sure the photographer gets them in the picture to see our groom to be included roses in his offering? I think it looks OK.

Anyway I want to write my own enire back story about this couple now!

3. CB says:

This is one that I visited that thought “yeah, not that awkward”, but now that I come back to it….I can see the awkwardness….awkward “kiss”, snowball glasses, and on top of all that, she’s randomly holding out (away from her body, so as to be in the foreground) a loose bundle of roses……actually, the more I look at that kiss, the more it makes me shudder.

• WB says:

Thank you! I’m also shuddering … what’s up with zombie face-sniffer? If I were her, I wouldn’t spend five minutes in the ski lodge with this dude. Awkwardly creepy…

4. jen says:

Okay–people who don’t get why this photo is awkward, try this. It’s the middle of winter, and you want to share a drink and a smooch with your sweetie. Do you

A. Run out to the snow-covered back deck, wearing only the lightest of sweaters and brandishing a giant bunch of roses?

B. Close the back door, put the roses in a vase, and snuggle down on the couch?

This photo is the situational equivalent of the physical awkwardness in all those photos where couples pretzel themselves into unlikely poses. The snowy glasses are just a bonus. (I’m guessing they needed their hands free to set up the shot, so slid the glasses carefully UNDER the snow on the railing behind them so they’d stay upright, and then grabbed them, snow and all, at the last moment.)

5. Bruce says:

It is really quite sad, cojoined twins who share a common nose. Obviously they see eye to eye on everything.

6. Sonn says:

Maybe it’s because I live in the snowy north, but this looks like your average general lovey V-day pose to me. I can’t find a single thing that looks out of place or different, much less awkward, about it. Are you just messing with us, AFP??? Giving us a nice picture to see if our brains explode?

7. Mazer_Rackham_ says:

Ice replayed soul?

8. laughinginohio says:

haha, that’s funny! Maybe he wants to see if she smells okay before he kisses her.

9. Carol says:

He looks like he’s smelling her instead of kissing her. Also, she REALLY wants us to notice that bouquet!

10. Dime666 says:

I looked and looked for 5 minutes and I can not find anything that is awkward about this photo. Just two people who are in love on Valentine’s Day. There is nothing awkward about that!

• CSell says:

How can you not see the awkwardness??
      A.) That “kiss”! his nose is squished and their lips are not even puckered.
      B.) They are supposed to be toasting but clearing he is banging his glass up against her hand
      C.) She is thrusting that bouquet at the camera
      D.) The snow on the bottom of the glasses is hilarious

• Dime666 says:

I guess if you call your list of 4 items awkward, so be it. To me they aren’t blatantly awkward. When I come to this site, I’m looking for stuff that screams @ me “AWKWARD!!” I appreciate your comment CSell.

11. It is all fun and games till your fiance’s nose gouges your eye out.

12. christie says:

details people! Remember the details when taking photos! lol

13. just sayin' says:

He looks like he is inhaling her scent, rather than kissing her!

14. Jess Kidden says:

It was the booze that brought them together. It was the shared affliction of belly button lint so copious it actually grew through fabric that bound them forever.

15. TruthSeeker says:

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!! She’s wearing a ring on her ring finger but (wait for it)he isn’t. Hm. Is this her “Undercover Lover?” Picturing her husband seeing this picture for the first time on this website…now, that’s awkward.

16. Tim says:

Out in the cold and snow with no coats? AND they’re making out?

Some people have NO regard for germs!

17. Andi from NC says:

I expect a better level of awkward from you people – come on, there’s got to be some “love pics” out there that are more awkward than this….

18. Braden says:

Beware the yellow snow…

19. Swede says:

Is he asleep???

20. Deedee says:

They’re not kissing – it looks wierd…and a little..wrong. I agree with the above.. is that her brother?

21. ann o. nymous says:

Isn’t that Peyton Manning? He’s not himself right now.

22. Lesley says:

Shouldn’t they be wearing coats?

23. Shawna says:

This is totally awkward. They are just kind of laying their lifeless lips on eachother, and she has that bunch of thorny roses thrust forward, AND they have weird wash cloth-type glass cozies. Really very awkward.

24. Leszilla says:

All hetero kissing looks awkward to me. This is no exception.

25. jyeahno says:

Smash nose against girlfriends face…check
    Snow covered wine glasses…check
    Bad lighting…check
    Multi-colored clothing…check
    10 roses because a dozen costs $59.99…check

What couldn’t be awkward?

26. Carla says:

this is awkward mainly b/c she is cheers-ing us with the 6 wilted roses whilst kissing her beloved in an awkwardly setup picture.

Kudos to the guy for his magnificently coordinated ensemble.

27. Sammy says:

Simply touching lips doesn’t make kissing, does it?

28. Sarah says:

She’s wearing two sweaters. That’s kinda awkward… ??

29. Dianne says:

Happy V.D. Awkward Photo’s – thanks for the many laughs.

30. Lacy Lou Who says:

Not awkward, just awful.

31. Boppie says:

There is a heart-shaped tub somewhere behind that camera, I know it…

32. Brent says:

The only awkward thing here is serving champagne in a wine goblet instead of a proper flute.

33. Dude says:

Uhh for those of you asking why this is awkward, I assume you’ve never kissed anybody?

Those two are not kissing they are smashing their closed lips together. lol Their mouths aren’t even puckered.

34. Crys says:

I don’t think it’s awkward at all…nice, in my opinion!

35. ScoutC says:

Why awkward? Hmmm…. Brother and sister perhaps? Floral delivery guy and grateful customer without money for a tip perhaps? I dunno. That champagne looks awfully foamy, btw.

36. chebetz says:

I’m not getting this, either. What’s awkward about this?

37. carol says:

Okay, blind people…. Notice the SNOWBALLS attached to the base of each glass! It may not be *awkward* but it sure looks stupid.

38. Steph says:

“Here, hold my flowers so we can make out.”

39. Amber says:

Its the fence in the background!! HAHA I see what they are talking about now.

40. Jenny says:

I am not really getting this one either. Why is it awkward??

41. Tallulah says:

Just don’t see the akwardness

42. Shirkey says:

Why is this awkward?

• Liz says:

It’s awkward because they have ice on the ends of their glasses and their noses are squished together.

• carol says:

He’s not even kissing her! He just has his face pressed up against hers. And she’s probably got thorns sticking into her palms. Most people don’t just grab a bunch of roses with their bare hands. Just guessing.

43. Julie says:

Wow… that’s about the most romantic effort ruined by the least passionate kiss ever

44. Hannah Butler says:

that looks like one serious eskimo kiss.

• Cate says:

Actually, there was never rubbing noses. That is a Hollywood invention. What it was, and still is today, is giving a great big sniff of your baby’s neck or cheek. It wasn’t really ever for adults. Just FYI.

• silverfish says:

Whether or not it was fabricated is not the point. The term ‘Eskimo Kiss’ refers to the act of rubbing noses together affectionately, Hollywood-invented or not. Kind of like saying pizza is Italian food. Way to be a big bonerkill.

45. that's what she says:

I wonder how they did that?

46. Amy says:

Forget the frosty champagne glasses…is she really holding those roses with her BARE HANDS?? owie owie owie!!

47. Tim S says:

He was lucky to set the self timer and get in front of the camera without knocking over the tripod. No time to double check the glasses!

48. Jaretta says:

Isn’t it romantic when your man smashes his face into your face?!

49. taylordani11 says:

Other than the snow on the glasses and the discomfort of looking at a couple suck-face, what’s the big deal.

50. PissedChef says:

I’m trying to see some awkwardness here… is it his pants? There is a wrinkly bulge there.