The Cousins

August 16th, 2010

The Cousins - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is me and my cousins at Christmas 1999; I am the one in the middle sporting the glasses, cool choker necklace, and lovely khaki ensemble. My Grandpa made all of these boxes by hand for us for Christmas. Some of us were happier about them than others.”

(submitted by Mallory)

110 Responses to “The Cousins”

1. Sue Gabbard says:

I think this is a winning photo

2. Sue Gabbard says:

So cute, this a winner!

3. Billy says:

I can see why people, usually in hindsight, appreciate things hand-made for them by relatives. But seriously, I can’t help but think that in this and many other cases, it’s pure selfishness on the part of the grandparent or whoever. They have all these tools and have blown hundreds if not thousands on it, and they’re desperately looking for something to DO with it, so they think that if they make something for the kids, all will be well. Yeah, possibly, IF you make them something they like or is practical, etc. But freaking square BOXES with hardware stuck all over them? Huh?? For kids? I mean, A for effort, but kind of an F in the imagination department. Dimes to donuts those boxes were seldom seen later in any of their lives.

4. Expat in KL says:

Hey! Has anybody seen grandma recently?

5. megan says:

My uncle made us cool stuff, and so did our grandfather….I always thought it was cool though! We got doll cribs, wooden safes, shelfs, necklace holders…lots of cool stuff. We still have all of it! Even the granpa and uncle :)

6. Jeff says:

The girls are holding the lids of their boxes down… what’s trying to escape?

7. worldrock says:

Back in my day we didn’t have the XBOX we only had the BOX

8. Minnesota Nice says:

I know everyone says the kids would rather play with the box than the toy, but that just clearly isn’t true.

9. brandi says:

“Ok, Howie, no deal!

10. Ruth says:

My favorite part si the boy on the left, posed as if he was getting ready to take a cheezy school picture with his fist under his chin and his elbow resting on nothing.

11. CamdensGramps says:

Here you go kids..a little something to keep your share of my ashes in.

12. PJSaintOurs says:

It reminds me of the Peanuts Christmas special. I got a box…..

13. AndrewT says:

” So THAT’s why they call it Boxing Day, kids!”
    “Aw Grampaaaaa!”

14. Ruth says:

Definitely not the kind of thing most little kids will appreciate, but what a treasure when you’ve grown up–something grandpa made for you by hand.

Hope you all still have these beautiful boxes–and your grandpa!!!

15. Bobby says:

Grandaddy made my younger brother a killer workbench for Christmas one year, and you could see the disappointment on Larry’s face. I would have LOVED for that to be made for me. I do have it now, so all’s well that ends well.

Kids want crap from the store, not something home made! That’s what has ruined Christmas!