Greenscreen

November 19th, 2010

Greenscreen - Family Portrait

It’s gotta be the shoes.

(submitted by Wujek)

72 Responses to “Greenscreen”

1. Christa says:

Hes on the stool, shes on a chair with nicked up legs, the green background and the SEAM in the carpet. Don’t even get me started on the clothing and shoes!

2. April says:

Reminds me of the boots from Napolean Dynemite.

3. Laura says:

Has no one else noticed that there is no trace of water or dirt on ANY of the boots? It’s like they brought the boots with them to change into!

4. Jimbo says:

…..but at least the photographer spared no expense for the chairs. I’m thinking from the Goodwill collection.

5. Jimbo says:

WHAT THE HECK was that dude thinkin’ when he got dressed for the photo shoot? I mean COME ON…….a BLUE TIE?!?!?!?

6. Johanna says:

This looks like a polish funeral directors family that just came in from the snow.

7. Normie says:

In Soviet Russia, the boots wear YOU!

8. filthy_victorian says:

Does anyone else think that this picture is not a recent picture? That it is, in fact, one from the ’80′s? I mean, that hair-do on the lady in lace, looks like she has the ’80′s wave frizz going on. Moon boots were a popular thing back then, too. For what occasion, I couldn’t possibly think of any other than a Christening. And it was stormy as all get out. Plus, that carpet has to be a hotel carpet or something of that sort. Most of the professionals for my little town always posed at hotel rooms. Olan Mills??? Although there is no embossed signature in the corner so, who knows who photographed the picture.

9. Joshua says:

Not such a bad photo. Stylin’

10. Tobias says:

KILLER BOOTS MAAAN!

11. Sara says:

judging from the look of the floor (as well as the atmosphere), they may actually be ON the moon, so the boots seem like the right choice.

12. Beth says:

Even if this photo was taken in a cold climate and they had to be bundled up to go to the photo studio, why not unbundle the baby and change into shoes once there? Presumably the studio had heat…..

• rdub says:

Exactly my question. I grew up in the Great White North. If I was going to pose for a formal photo, and needed to wear boots outside, I’d just bring a pair of dress shoes to change into once I was in teh studio. Same thing with the kid.

13. Kitten K. Boodle says:

Now THAT’S how you keep a baby under control for a photo shoot! ;-)

14. Steve says:

In Soviet Russia, we have FORMAL snow boots!

15. Ida_Slaptem says:

Once you green screen an igloo behind them it looks fine.

16. Alan says:

These boots are made for gawkin’

17. carol says:

I was thinking Alaska, but I guess it could be any place cold. They better take the photo quickly before that baby bakes though.

18. lizzie says:

Father in back row and son (I assume) in front – they look like TWINS!
    Everything is uniformly grim – no smiles, garish carpet, lady in lace and white go-go boots – (after Labor Day no less). My guess is this is a post-christening photo.

• Serbob says:

Now this is a funny comment. Maybe… wait for it… they ARE twins. And maybe… the picture was taken BEFORE Labor Day… And maybe… they aren’t Christians at all!

19. Jeremy says:

What is spooky is Moon Boots and the Baby are staring at YOU, while everyone else is staring off into space. SSSSSPPPPPOOOOKKKKYYYY

20. marilee says:

First, take baby out of moonsuit. Second, take photo from waist up. Third, try to get a smile out of at least ONE. Fourth. Replace carpet. Olan Mills/Russian franchise.

21. Mez says:

Dennis thought it would be ok to key in the Return Of The Jedi background later

22. maryis says:

I take back the grandma and grandpa part after looking at the photo again. Proud parents, proud godparents and newly christened child all in white, hence the celebratory flowers.

The boots? Hey, you can’t remember everything!

23. Lynn says:

wow, that is…
    something.

24. katusha says:

$10 says this picture was taken in an Eastern European country. I’m guessing Russia, I spent 6 months there as a teacher. You just don’t smile for formal pictures, it’s a cultural thing. The boots are functional, trust me. You need them when you’re walking down the street in St. Petersburg in -20 weather.

• Annie says:

I agree totally, that’s the first thing I thought when I saw this photo.

• Rick D says:

Another clue – the submitter is someone named Wujek. Polish, maybe. Also, the men look like Eastern Europeans. Nothing wrong with that, of course – just something about the facial shapes and the eyes that makes me think Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Ukranian, etc.

• Jen says:

Concur. That would also explain why the baby’s bundled up like it’s facing an apocolyptic ice age. Eastern Europeans bundle their kids up like that for fully 75% of the year. Not summer? Bundle up. What? It’s almost 20degC out? Well…the calendar says April, not July, so bundle up!”

• mrs5180 says:

ok—that makes this picture make much more sense….thank you—-I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one—-too many subtle oddities.

• Aussie expat says:

yup, I had the same thought too. Baby is very cute too!

• Angelica says:

I’m Polish and Wujek means uncle. So the submitter is the uncle. Also, I thought it was a Polish picture from the first second I saw it!

• Dot says:

That’s funny Angelica I also knew this is a Polish picture when I saw it and it’s probably because me and my sisters have similar photos from our baptism. Oh man I just love the Polish fashion from the 80′s ;)

• Yola says:

I grew up in Poland. This picture is Polish for sure. Most likely taken in the 1980′s, times of economic crisis. I remember everybody wearing similiar boots, we didn’t have much choice. The stores were empty. It was shortage of everything, from food to clothing. We were happy if we had any winter boots.
          It looks like a baby christiening picture: the baby, parents and godparents. It does look funny at a present day especially if you not familiar with that place and time.
          Winters are harsh, cold and wet. Churches are not heated in Poland. Babies are usually dressed in white snowsuits for christiening. At that time also not too many people had cars. People often had to walk in that weather to take a photo. Wujek means “uncle” and I’m guessing he’s the godfather in the picture.

• Teresa says:

Same thought I had, esp with mama’s knee boots – Eastern Europe.

25. Jules says:

Are those cowboy moonboots? Saweeet!

26. Heather Wood says:

Napolean Dynamite would be green with envy at those nifty shoes.

27. phx says:

i particularly like the mummified (Michelin Man?) baby.

28. Vegan says:

Good thing they though to bubblewrap the baby!

29. Momx8 says:

Add this to the list of Things that Make You Say “Hmmmm….”

30. francie says:

Are they going to fill in a different background, and if so what would go with that carpet?

31. Jules says:

Must’ve been Boot Night.

32. frannie says:

why is the baby in a snow suit?

• CB says:

I’m going to venture a guess and say it’s winter in their neck of the woods…and the boots would tell me that it is also probably snowy. It’s not rocket science, it’s not even a mystery.

• Lynn says:

Snarky much?

• Leah says:

CB, I live where it is winter most of the year… MOST people have the sense God gave a goose & take regular/inside shoes WITH them to change into after tromping through the cold/snow. This would be a relevant decision to follow in many situations including a photographed one. As you say… it isn’t rocket science, however it IS awkward.

• Judie Welch says:

I totally agree, but isn’t the point of bringing your inside shoes to change INTO them? Particularly in a studio photo shoot! Guess they had to park to far away from the studio and then forgot their inside shoes in the car!

33. AMy says:

With those snow boots and the baby’s snow suit, I’m going to guess it’s cold in there.

34. CTBRK says:

“That baby and her bonnet will NOT outshine me!!”

35. Ali says:

Twin brothers and a baby snowman in the middle! Great shot!Boots are indeed interesting …hmmmm….must ‘ve been winter in their neck of the woods, eh?!

36. Ali says:

it’s all about that little baby snowman in the middle i think!!! The boots indicate it is indeed winter outside the studio!!!:O)

37. Another Mike says:

Baby in the hazmat suit? Everyone got their chemical-resistant PVC boots? Let’s do this thing!

38. Jon says:

Green screen => a weather map will be filled in once the photo is developed

Snow boots => that storm headed our way is gonna pack a hell of a wallop!

39. Lidia says:

His astronaut suit shrunk so he gave it to the baby…

40. PDX PIG says:

Houston, we have a problem.

One small step for this nerd, one giant leap for moon boot lovers everywhere.

41. lulu maggoo says:

is that the Michelin Man and the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Baby? who knew that they were related? ps… luvs me some white boots mama!

42. Stephanie says:

Why is the baby in a snow suit?? I can kinda let the guy’s boots go…normally you don’t see your feet in a picture. But what the heck is in his hand? Can’t figure that out!

43. Erin says:

It’s not the green screen that’s frightening, it’s the “moon boots.”