Baby’s Day Out

May 3rd, 2011

Baby’s Day Out - Babies

You should have seen his high chair.

(submitted by Nina who tell us this is aerialist-acrobats Frankie Vincent, wife Rose & son Nikki in 1951)

198 Responses to “Baby’s Day Out”

1. Jean says:

They’re not on a pole; they’re on a ladder.

If this was a picture from 10 days ago, I’d be outraged, but the kid is over 60 today.

2. Leonna says:

wow, we have all become real p*ssies. I, for one, think this is an awesome phot and I doubt the baby would have gotten shaken baby syndrome. I’m sure he fell numerous times and landed in the net just fine. We overparent now-a-days! hell, I almost lost a finger as a kid because I tried to put it into a moving chainsaw. Luckily, it was reattached just fine, since a thin piece of skin held it on. My parents still laugh about it. I still laugh about it!

• DeeDeeDeeDee says:

Sorry Leonna, I’m laughing about it too now. Your comment made me giggle :)

• DeeDeeDeeDee says:

Glad they could reattach you finger though.

• Leonna says:

Trust me, it’s really frigin funny. Especially since my dad’s reaction was “get the camera, this is great!” and my mom was freaking. Meanwhile, I had no idea why my finger was dangling off my hand. Oddly enough, i remember no pain at all.

• Joey says:

Um, yeah. One time I fell off a sliding board and faceplanted into the concrete. The stitches and the concussion, and the week of blurred vision and vomiting from the dizziness was a bit of a pain, but we all laugh about it now. Cuz it’s hilarious. Hilarious, I tell you!

*awkward silence*

3. Rick says:

The women in some countries sure give birth in weird ways. Good thing dad caught him on the way out!

4. Lily says:

Clearly photoshopped :)

5. Josh says:

Good thing that kid is wearing a diaper. I’d need one, too.

6. Jamie says:

Gotta agree with Momo’s logic. They obviously trust their grip enough to be professional acrobats, and trusted they wouldn’t drop the kid. And for those assuming immediate therapy- I’d bet the kid turned out completely normal (by ‘mud show’ standards) with no recollection of this moment at all. Really no less dangerous than parents who teach their infants to swim.

• Okaaaaay says:

True – other than the fact that if the father lets go of this baby for a second, he dies, while if a father lets go of his baby in a pool for a second, the baby will be fine.

7. wreck says:

“Bring in the clowns” – the show must go on!

8. Heather says:

Ummm….what were they planning to do with the kid once they got him up there?

• Laur says:

I was wondering the same thing! Maybe toss him back and forth a few times and then just climb down?

9. Cris says:

Oh my Lord. Yikes. At the very least, he could have strapped the kid to himself so he had both hands free to HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE for both of them. Sheez!

10. Ducky says:

Steve Irwin’s Grandparents….

11. kat says:

it was “take your child to work day”

12. momo says:

I know this will be an unpopular thing to say, but jeez, the kid is from a family of acrobats. Early training, maybe? Plus, I doubt the child was carried by one arm all the way down – his arm would be dislocated. I think this is just an acrobatic version of upsie-daisy.

13. rev_jo says:

“No infants were harmed in the making of this film…”

sheesh… if this happened today, you’d melt cell towers with the amount of calls to CPS.

14. Rob says:

This was the second part of the lesson. The first part of the lesson involved teaching him to always let to woman go first so you can look up her skirt.

15. bbneo says:

Plan B is?

16. david says:

oh please has anyone actually looked at the date on the photo. this is the same time frame that if you could hold a gun you shot it… seat belts where never worn… kids sat on dads lap and drove… and people where getting ready for wood stock and free love with lsd and lots of weed…. so ya we see it as scary for them it was daily life. we have just become too soft lol

• AndrewT says:

People started getting ready for Woodstock 18 years early? Wow, that’s great ticketing.

• Dibs says:

So lets go back in time then….

Lets drive without seltbelts so that out kids can fly through the windshield and die. Lets all smoke inside a car with the windows all up so our kids can get cancer. Lets all wear aluminum based antiperspirant so that we can get Alzheimer’s when we get to 60.

To hell with everything we have learned over the decades. Lets hold babies from their arms while they bawl with fear and probably pain from having its shoulder come out of its socket.

Better yet, if you have a baby lets all take bets and see if you would let them take your child up a trapeze like this poor child.

• mimi221 says:

How about if we look honestly at our history and learn from it? I don’t think anyone is saying this behavior is proper then or now. But it happened. It’s over. Let’s all decide we won’t do that anymore and move on!

• Hmmmm! says:

Lighten up! One picture does not advocate that we should ALL go out and do what they did. Good lord, it’s a wonderful picture of an acrobat family from a different era. Celebrate the times and move on. I’ve been entertained for today. LOVE IT!!!!

• AB says:

“Lets all wear aluminum based antiperspirant so that we can get Alzheimer’s”

Umm, I still do that. Sure Invisible Solid, 19% Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex GLY. Actually, that does sound dangerous.

17. Gravity's Rambo says:

At least the parents aren’t smoking…

18. Piki says:

Boy, do I owe Michael Jackson a big apology.

19. Tara says:

Disturbing…wrong…and yes dangerous…if you know anything about falling into a net, you have to do it just right or you can seriously hurt yourself or even die…I doubt that baby knows how to fall just right.

• Okaaaaay says:

Don’t worry; they made him pass a written test on falling before he was allowed to try this stunt.

20. So, I have been searching and searching and can find no record of Frankie Vincent the aerialist-acrobat. The only hits I get lead back to this or a copy of this page.

• Jean says:

I found a reference with a search of “Frankie Vincent” +acrobat:

“Little Frankie Vincent was five feet tall and weighed one-hundred-thirty pounds. He could do a hand stand anywhere. But also, he was an amazingly strong, all-around acrobat.”

21. brett says:

What’s the big deal? They didn’t put the baby in any danger they weren’t also putting themselves in. No less responsible than flying in a plane or riding in a car.

• Bonnie says:

Except the baby can’t hold on with three points of contact like the parents and his one arm is socket is holding all of his weight.

22. Leslie says:

This is not as much awkward as it is disturbing. The parents have hands and feet in the pole while they are climbing so they feel secure, and the baby dangles by one arm? How terrifying for that poor kid! Net or no net, I hope they saved some money for therapy for him!

23. Rachel says:

and the award for worst parents go too…

24. PSA for child safety? I think so. What on Earth, even in 1951, would possess a parent to bring a baby that high and hold them by ONE arm?

25. Amy says:

Calm down people – it was 1955. Before seat belts. The doctor probably smoked while examining you, and people did crazy stuff with their kids “for the show”. No children were hurt in the making of this photograph (… probably..)

• MomofBoys says:

I agree, for the love of Pete, lighten up people! Yes it’s horrible, but are we going to turn back time to intervene?! I imagine we should go back and make all the ppl who made their kids work their farms pay for using child labor; or how about the homesteaders who took their kids out in the middle of nowhere with no docs nearby?! Maybe we should prosecute the Donner Family for making their group pass through the mountains and children were exposed to freezing cold and cannibalism and dying! No! What’s done is done, so let’s just have a bit of humor here and be thankful that we’ve evolved. Pretty surethe ppl at AFP are not promoting that we try this at home!

26. Golly Gee says:

Apparently in this family, one has to get over their fear of heights and falling all in one lesson.

27. TRED54 says:

Geez, lighten up. They’re using a net.

• googleyou says:

As Ducky has already commented, a baby this age cannot handle the force of falling even to a net. They can easily get shaken baby syndrome just from being bounced on a trampoline.

28. Paul says:

Well, what do you expect from Circus Folk?

29. Amy Byers says:

where are they going to put that baby when they get up there?

30. Jodi says:

Oh, whatever, people. I’m sure there was a net.

• Ducky says:

Even with a net that child is too young to withstand a fall from that height!

• mollytov says:

Agreed. let’s all put children in lucite bubbles until they’re legal adults, THAT ought to keep em safe. How many of you threw your kid in a pool to “teach” em how to swim? or took the training wheels off the bike and gave it a push? COME ON!! It was a carnival in 1951!!! The damage is done. Kind of a cool pic I think. ( I’m probably gonna pay for this comment)

• mollytov says:

Besides, from that height, I think it’s been proven that babies land on their feet…

• GeekyTuner says:

Molly, totally agree. It doesn’t make this “OK” and “right”, but times were considerably different back in the day. This was taken a year before I was born, but I remember wanting to jump out of a tree with a bedsheet for a parachute. I remember jumping off the garage roof onto the concrete driveway. Yeah, and most of us survived all that. Life was a lot more fun then. By contrast, one of my kids is terrified of the water slide.

• Sioux says:

i agree totally. going through all that stuff made us stronger. i’m 43 and can still climb trees pretty darn well!

31. Kari says:

NOT COOL. I visit this site to laugh…not to feel sick to my stomach. That poor kid :/

32. Taube says:

And I’m still pissed at my husband for letting our infant daughter fall off a chair a whole 2 feet off the ground…

33. Vi says:

Twice as bad, since apparently BOTH parents thought this was okay.

34. Tim says:

Bet that baby is pooping his diaper!

35. Tina says:

Seriously! There’s something wrong with the sanity of a parent who would try such a thing!! This is terrible.

36. Tami says:

Not awkward, just disturbingly wrong.

37. Christine says:

Well, that is just appalling….

38. wowzered says:

People abuse their children intentionally; others use them for profit. Happens everyday. And too many people turn their eyes, shut out the sounds, because “its not their business or they “dont want to get involved”. Sad.

39. sarah says:

40. gnoled says:

…and young Nikki has been institutionalized since 1965 with 14 unique phobias.

41. thescousewife says:

Um, won’t you please excuse me whilst I hurl? I am terrified of heights — nevermind the dangling wee child which just puts me over the edge. Holy CRAP! Did they all live to see 1952? Did the child ever stop seeing his/her therapist? Wowzers.

42. Whew. From the first picture, I thought he was holding the baby by the hair. Not that the arm is much better.

“Those were the days before child abuse. People hit you, but there was no number you could call.” — Bill Cosby

• TipToeDude says:

I thought he was holding the baby by his head in that first shot. Also, it’s weird that first the poor kid gets hauled up that pole by his parents, and now this horror is exposed to the world when maybe Nikki would have preferred to forget it and not undo decades of therapy.

43. laura says:

this is awful…makes me afraid just looking at it! i sincerely hope it’s not real.

44. Katie Jane says:

This is so, so wrong!

45. Andie says:

WTH?!? This is no kind of funny. Awkward doesn’t cover it. Unless you count the dislocation of that kid’s shoulder out of the freakin’ socket. Jeeezz. Excuse me while I go Google the kid’s name and see if he survived his parents.

46. bowers says:

That freaks me out.

47. Mike says:

Franky Viincent, you mean the singer? Googled!

• Okaaaaay says:

Do you mean Frankie Valli?

• Barbara says:

Oh I kid you not, as soon as I read this I really wondered if it WAS Frankie Valli. LOVE THEIR MUSIC!!! It’s not him though, Franki Valli was born in 1934 (n fact, he just had a birthday; it’s May3). I would certainly not allow that with any child of mine, but beings this is over 50 years old I’d just hope they were all ok and simply not do the same.

48. ScoutC says:

Michael Jackson’s inspiration.

49. Sassy says:

This is where Michael Jackson and Steve Irwin got the idea from….

50. googleyou says:

………and we thought Michael Jackson was bad.