Brotherly Love

June 28th, 2011

Brotherly Love - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of me and my brother taken in 1979 when I was 4 and my brother is 7. it was taken at Olan Mills and there were other photos from this shoot, but none quite as magical this one. This photo is a running joke in our household and hopefully it will be in everyone else’s too.”

(submitted by Rick)

74 Responses to “Brotherly Love”

1. jadeybee says:

This one needs to be recreated ASAP! (Sorry, guys … it’s gotta happen.)

2. Sean says:

I was a photographer at Olan Mills. They gave basic training, but really left posing up to the photographer. We as photographers made very little money off our photos because we were paid a commission, and the company charged A LOT for portraits. A regular 8×10 picture cost $30 alone! The photographer of the picture above technically composed the picture right (the boy’s heads are turned correctly, and they are 1/2 of a head step above and below each other) however, the picture would have looked a LOT better by zooming in 3/4 (a little below the chest).

3. Alex says:

The younger boy looks like a young Jason Sudekis

4. Molly says:

Kylie, Olan Mills is/was a chain of portrait studios in the US (with some in the UK). I hadn’t heard of them until I came here.

5. Kylie says:

I’m not sure who Olan Mills is (I’m from Australia, we dont have that photography company here as far as I know), but im concerned by the number of Olan Mills photos that appear on this website…

• Laurie Johnson says:

They were the cool place to get family portraits done in the 70′s, 80′s and 90′s. A step above the JC Penney’s or Sears portrait studios that were people’s only choices then. They were quite expensive! I just looked up their website and I see they’re still around.

• Katie says:

Olan Mills is a notorious photography studio company with many studios all over the US. They just recently went out of business.

• Elizabeth says:

We had a family portrait made by Olan Mills in the late 70s. The backdrop was a fake library (leather-bound books — very classy — hah!). Their super cheesy style combined with the extreme hair and fashions of the 70s and 80s have yielded many hilariously Awkward photos for us to chuckle for years. Thank you for all the laughs, Olan Mills Studios!

6. Liz says:

Even the plaid stripes on your pants are matching…lol.