The Cookout Incident

July 2nd, 2011

The Cookout Incident - Behind The Awkwardness

“My husband was cooking on the grill when my son and daughter in law came up behind to be in the pic too… not realizing the awkward placement of the hotdog and badminton rackets.”

(submitted by Susan)

73 Responses to “The Cookout Incident”

1. Liz says:

clearly staged and not really done very well…..what a bore

2. Ryan says:

I can see what they’re saying about the photoshop.. The shadow of the tree and the shadow of the garage are cast in two opposite directions.. So.. Where is the sun.. Or suns.. Lol. But idk. It doesn’t matter. . I honestly don’t think It would be worth it.. If it was edited don’t ya think they’d have come up with something more interesting.

3. Mel says:

Photoshop. How do I know? Education. Now someone should send me those photos so I can make it look more convincing :)

4. Maddie says:

That so does not look photoshopped! I don’t know about you, but that looks an awful lot like a shadow of a tree which tends to leave some spots shaded while others open to the sun…totally real. What a completely ironic picture :)

5. brassky says:

That (used to be) white-t-shirt-under-the-short-sleeve-3-button look is ALWAYS a winner!

6. Dante says:

What, exactly, is awkward about this?

• Michelle says:

I’m trying to figure it out to…the placement of the hot dog isn’t quite anatomically close. If it was THEN and only then, the photo would be awkward

7. Patrick Conley says:

One word…..shuttlecock

8. Dave W says:

I don’t know about you, but I vote that we ban all “photoshop conspiracists.” You know who you are!! But seriously (or not – :O)) this photo is hilarious!!

9. Silk! says:

UNITED WAY! That made me laugh.

10. ELH says:

So hilarious G and J! Makes it all the more hilarious that people are enraged over whether its a genuine wiener or photoshopped wiener! Especially considering you are the least likely people to take the time to photoshop something like this. Hahahahahahaha. So funny.

11. MAMA says:

for all you nay sayers….this is NOT a photoshop, fake or altered photo in any way what so ever…I dont even have a photoshop program…Is it so hard to accept pics can be taken without staging???really??? This site is for picures that are genuinely taken and are awkward…Hence the name of the site….if they are “fixed” in any way then what is the point of this site…and for those who dont seem to be able to see it…heres what happened…the cook did not even know the couple were behind him when i took this pic…he (couple)is holding his racket and she is holding hers behind her back and it is sticking out…neither of them knew what it looked like and neither did I…until I downloaded this pic to my computer to put into my family photos. So there you have it accept it or dont…be able to laugh or dont…but to be so critical making stupid remarks is childish…

12. Brandon Warren says:

The photo is definitely altered, look at the color balance between the 3 people, the man in front was obviously taken under flash white balance, while the one in back looks like it was shot under a warmer daylight balance. The People in back are ALMOST in focus yet the man in front is out of focus, but not enough to be considered “depth of field” the focus also just drops off, theres no fade between the background and foreground

Also look at the highlight on his head in the front, it doesnt match any of the light sources in the photo otherwise.

Good try.

• Me says:

You are so wrong…this is absolutely NOT altered in any way! Sorry Einstein

• MAMA says:

hahahahahaha…you seem so convinced of yourself and you are sooooo wrong LOL!

• wellhellothere says:

I dunno…doesn’t look photoshopped to me. The lighting is odd because that’s how the sun works with trees and houses and things blocking bits of it. Just my opinion….

• Connie says:

If you know so much about color balance, you would know that light reflected from surfaces of different colors, regardless of its source would render differently especially if the camera is on auto-WB. Dude with the dog is wearing a white shirt with a blue logo, son-in-law is wearing a bright yellow shirt- of course the color balance would differ.

Excuse the rest of the readers/participants in this site. They’re not “professional” photographers like you seem to be.

• BarryF says:

You are a Photoshop nerd.

13. Jeannie says:

Good grief. These are people we know from church! They:

A) Would NOT stage something like this
    B) Would not waste their time to photoshop something like this
    C) Would not lie about staging or photoshopping a pic like this
    D) Are NOT teenagers (well past it)
    E) CAN see the humor in an impromptu photo gone “wrong”

Hilarious pic J & G! I can’t believe your mom got this on film! ROFL ;D

14. Ted C says:

Wow, that is a huge stretch. Not to mention quite juvenile.

15. Kristy says:

Not photoshopped. The guy is holding one badminton racquet in each hand which is why they are angled the way they are.

16. ln says:

Staged or not, it’s funny. And that weiner looks DELICIOUS!

17. Snowrider says:

I’ll bet those United Way fund raiser people are cringing right now.

18. Jen says:

I actually love this picture for ALL of it’s awkwardness!
    No one is embarrassing themselves. No one’s really being made fun it. It’s all put together by happenstance.

• Me says:

thank you! altho some people cant believe it is purely impromtu :) I think they need to light up its just a funny pic not up for debate

19. christopher says:

What is wrong with you bitter people? The photo is funny. That is all. Why must everything be “photoshopped’? Sometimes photos pick things up in funny ways because they are two dimensional, unlike real life or an object that one can seen from all angles. Do you walk through art exhibits spewing out venom about the work? And for those who “don’t get it”, art is not an equation to be solved. To some people, it is a photo of a summer barbecue, to others it is a metaphor of a father’s sexual protection of his daughter.

20. Bobbie says:

okay folks. you have a racket in your right hand, and you want to squeeze in tight with your husband for a photo, what do you do? Of course you put you hand down to your side, but when he puts his arm around you, then you put your hand behind your back. THEN the racket sticks out at the same angle as his racket in his right hand! Geeze, not everyone uses photo shop!

21. Jim H says:

Am I the only one imagining the rackets as breasts?

22. Jeremy says:

photoshopped. just look at his feet and her pant leg. they disappear into blurry grass.

23. Jeff says:

Not photoshopped but staged… it’s the way the guy’s holding the rackets tha’s awkward. Seriously, why hold them that way?

24. Carol says:

meh… It’d be funny if it was genuine, but it’s not, so… it’s not.

25. April says:

the first thing I noticed was testicle/penis placement…maybe I just have THAT kind of mind ;)

26. blargh says:

seriously? it’s a weiner. and the badminton racket heads are the balls.

27. buzzy says:

OK, hold up the hot dog.
    A little higher…
    A little higher…

28. LP says:

How old are the son and daughter-in-law? I’m guessing “it was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well”…..

29. Alan says:

Judging from the comments, most of us don’t get it. Now would somebody who does see what’s awkward please explain the joke to the rest of all of us?

30. ~ It took reading the description for me a bit to see it. Yah, it could be staged, but it’s still funny! :D

31. Tico says:

I guess I am missing something……..

32. Hans Moleman says:

I don’t get it, either…

33. JS says:

I like the looks of that kielbasa!

34. Honey says:

35. RedSkull says:

I’m getting tired of all these photo shopped pictures they are putting on this site these days.

36. ken says:

I don’t see this at all.

37. Heather says:

Absolutely hilarious, but clearly Photoshopped.

38. yaya says:

39. batina says:

not really awkward placement ????

40. sparky says:

AY YI YI!!

41. A says:

I don’t get it either. :/

42. Fred says:

A stretch at best.

43. elyse says:

Classic!Love it!

44. Kitty says:

Sorry I donĀ“t get the awkwardness…