November 15th, 2011

Bikeless - Behind The Awkwardness

“Christmas morning, and everybody except young Tim (middle) gets a new bike. We as parents should have anticipated the reaction.”

(submitted by Scott)

80 Responses to “Bikeless”

1. DubyaL says:

I feel your pain here. I’m 45 years old, been married to my husband for two years. He has two grown daughters who had dad all to themselves for 16 years before that. His oldest daughter (33) gave me a purple polka dot traveling cosmetic case last year as a Christmas gift. This year she gives me a bigger set of luggage, also in purple, with a matching wallet like thing that’s too big to be a useful wallet and too small to be a clutch handbag. I’m thinking that the message after two years is “hit the road, Biatch”. Tough cheese, I’m not going anywhere, but that hideous luggage is.

2. Me says:

When I was 11 my brother got an expensive pair of jeans and a few small gifts, and my 3 younger sibling got jewelry and toys. I got a box of lifesaver candy….that was it. My mom made me watch my siblings play and enjoy their gifts, I was sad and just wanted to go back to bed, but my mom forced me clean up all the wrappings. I was no angel but I wasn’t a bad kid either (other than filling people in on the fact that she was an abusive drug addict/alcoholic). I cried and my mom took pleasure in my sadness. A year later we were all put into foster care. Nothing I did deserved that type of cruelty….

3. Jaime says:

I rememeber one year my sister and I was like 12 and we got type writers very disappointed that year what 12 year old wants a Type Writer!! LOL

• Cyn says:

I got a typewriter when I was 12, too! I loved it! I wish I still had it, threw it away when it got hard to find tape for it.

• Eibh says:

I got a typewriter when I was 12 and I was in heaven! This was just before computers became a household thing, even though I didn’t have my first until I was 16.

• Beata says:

Actually, I really wanted a type writer when I was a kid :D Too bad your mum wasn’t my mum. Mine never got me one :D

4. Rachael says:

The Christmas I was 14, I got a travel iron, a passport cover and a holdall. I left home at 16. I got the message loud and clear.

5. Karen says:

When I was little (about 10) my mom and dad…I mean Santa…brought me and my oldest brother 13″ black and white televisions (this was in the 70′s) and my middle brother a three wheeler – you know, the cool kind you take off road and ride in the mud. I wanted a pony, in my head that was comparable to a three wheeler but nooo, I got a television that was black and white and we didn’t have cable television yet so I could only watch PBS. Worst Christmas of my childhood. I’m almost over it at 44.

6. Lindaperpinka says:

We made that mistake one year, my husband was all about getting teenage son the best drum set as was up and coming musician —- not cheap at all, problem was iPods were new and we got the girls those–I knew was going to be a problem but couldn’t say anything cause my husband was so proud of the drums,but when dry number one screamed “I got an iPod and I saw th paw through his presents looking for his( we had hidden his drum set) he was so disappointed! His b-day was deb months later and by then it had been upgraded so he ended up with newer one anyway so the girls wanted that. Just saying-can’t win

7. ginny says:

It is possible he is 2. He’s very tiny.

8. Lisa says:

You said, “No bike.” All Timmy heard was, “No like.”

9. Sammy says:

One memorable Christmas brother one got a brand new Honda Civic, I received a lovely quilt, brother two got wool socks (he can’t wear wool) and I can’t recall what brother three found under the tree, but it sure wasn’t a new car! Timmy, we feel your pain. On the other hand, I still have the quilt but the Civic is long gone.

10. Taylor says:

Me and my sister had a Christmas like this. The year was 1983. Every child in America wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid. Parents were lining up at places when they found out new shipments were coming in and they would mob the store sometimes some stores had police there because of the mobs. My sister was 8 and I was 10. We were sure Santa didn’t forget our CPK’s. At the end of the presents we had sad faces because we didn’t get one. Then our mom said…your dolls are back in my closet. We ran with glee back to her closet and what did we find? “Flower Kids” a knock-off brand that didn’t even look like real ones. Mine’s arm fell off the first day I had her. Talk about depression. Christmas 1983 sucked!

• mamabug says:

I got 2 Flower Kids that year. My grandma signed her name to their butts so they’d have a signature like Cabbage Patch Kids. LOL I actually thought mine were kind of cute, but definitely not Cabbage Patch Kids. I got one a few months later.

• MsUnderstood says:

Same Christmas, 1983 (I was 10, also), and my mom didn’t have to worry about fighting the mobs to get my Cabbage Patch Kid. Because, guess why? My aunt MADE homemade knock-offs, and that’s what I got. I actually was okay with it, but whenever I’d see a real CPK at my friends’ houses, I’d note the differences and feel a bit sad. Luckily, I mostly played with my cousins, who also had gotten the knock-offs from the same, mutual aunt, so we were all sort of oblivious together.

11. Carolyn says:

My house has that same hideous carpet! Someone shares my pain!

12. Jason says:

Has anyone stopped to think, maybe Tim was baaaad that year?

13. teeks says:

We want to know what happened to Timmy!!!! We need an update!

14. Jan says:

My younger sister got a HORSE! I got the bike.

15. Ric says:

Ok, the date says November 15, 2011 but the decor says December 25, 1971!!!

16. brooks says:

I bet you timmy cut all their break lines.

17. Laura says:

Haven’t read all the comments here, but did anyone else notice the training wheels on that big ass bike?

18. Rachel says:

Awwww….. poor li’l Tiny Tim…..

19. Jay says:

This brings back a repressed memory of my 14th birthday, which also falls on Christmas. My mom’s family mistakenly left my name out of the name raffle (it’s a huge family), and pretty much overlooked my birthday too (Christmas kids will tell you can happen a lot). It’s funny years later, but at that age, I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

I feel for Timmy…but he will get his revenge, and it may be served as trays of warm brownies chock full of laxative-y goodness. Just sayin’, and that it might be especially nasty after a big Christmas dinner.

• chrinphx says:

My other half is a xmas baby also, the stories of forgotten birthdays or no cakes just never end. I feel so bad, now we call it a birthday tree and ignore the xmas part.

• Kaela says:

being a christmas baby sucks.

• Jon says:

As a child of Christmas (dec 28th) I feel your pain too! My parents once had my birthday in June and we went to a bowling alley for the party! It still sticks in my mind as the best birthday ever!

• Priscilla says:

2 of my kids have birthdays just after Christmas and we let them decide if they want a friends party on their birthday or the end of June (right before school ends). We do have a family party on their actually bday.

• Ginny says:

My BD is the 16th. What drives me crazy is the “This present is for your birthday AND Christmas” LOL

• Claire says:

Yep, know that feeling. My birthday is the 24th and my brothers is the 23rd. Our parents were always really good in giving us separate gifts, but mostly everyone else combined them. Had it better than my husband, his birthday is the 20th, and his parents just ignored his birthday completely, even as a child.

• Hope says:

I’m on the 15th. I totally get the “this present is for your birthday and Christmas”; but I’m a triplet, so gift is also for all three of us! My mum and her family were always good about it. We even had a few summer birthday parties!

• Lauren says:

My birthday is in FEBRUARY and my Dad still insisted that I only get one present for Christmas & my birthday!

Actually, it was the same for all of us, 4 kids and no ones birthday was in December…

Lazy parenting guide 101

• Molly says:

Mine is the 14th and I whole heartedly agree!!

• Carli says:

This is for Christmas AND your birthday…. (dec. 26th)

• MacBewberson says:

I am Dec. 28th and I also feel your pain. Everyone always combined them into one. I now tell everyone that I will give them their birthday and Christmas together in one sitting as well, whether it’s in April or September. They got the point. Lol.

20. Karen says:

This pic makes me happy I grew up as an only child. :( Poor Timmy! And yes, I can understand the parent’s possible logic…he’ll outgrow it…but sheesh! Ya could have gotten him a new big wheel or a scooter or something! Don’t you love hindsight? LOL

21. ali says:

poor kid! they should have at least got him a trike.

22. ZoeRN says:

Seriously??? What WERE you thinking?

23. Alan says:

I hope he got a Harley for his next birthday. Now THAT would wipe the grins off his brothers and sisters’ faces!

24. LKT says:

Dang, this brings back memories. I was the oldest and I remember when I was 11 I wanted a 10-speed bike. “Santa” didn’t get one for me because I was a clutz because I would have a hospital trip about every 18 months for stitches. But he gave my younger brother one. Damn, my parents!

25. Cee says:

What did Tim get that year? Some socks?

26. Brigitte says:

We all love Timmy and hope he gets what he wants for Christmas for the rest of his life!

27. Jody says:

Don’t worry Tim, Dad in his unbelted royal blue velour robe with the rockin’ ‘stash will let you listen to his new Journey 8 track later. Or wait. Is that mom??!!!

28. Christa says:

Please tell me Mom is on her way to the garage to get out Little Timmys hot wheel. Please tell me that!

29. Anne says:

Not even a sidecar for little Timmy to ride in?

30. gina says:

As parents… Did you blame it on Santa?

31. justme says:

Dang! I hope Timmy cleaned up at his birthday!!

32. kids bedding says:

Poor Tim, and to think he is the middle child, ugh! Hopefully they can remeber the look on his face, and do something extra special this Christmas.

• CarrieM says:

I think he’s in the middle of the photo, but he’s not the middle child age-wise. He looks like the youngest to me. Poor little guy.

33. Alice says:

This makes me willing to forgive my parents, who always gave my sister and me the exact same gifts, sometimes in different colors, but still the same!

34. ScoutC says:

I hope Timmy cleaned up at the next year’s Christmas extravaganza. Nice harvest gold decor, BTW.

35. agree! says:

How could you? Just… How. COULD. You???? :’[

36. Ruby says:

Fifteen years later Tim kills his parents and no one had any idea why.

37. slozudo says:

awwwww, what a crushed feeling he must have had.

38. Jack says:

“We as parents should have . . .” If only I had a dollar for every time I started an excuse with the exact same words!

39. Bonnie West says:

looks like everyone got a balloon though….

40. Cindy says:

Mom and Dad to Lil’ Timmy: “Honey, there’s a reason we got the other kids a bike but didn’t get you one…It’s because we love them more.” ;)

41. JWB says:

And Tiny Tim said, “God blessed everyone but me!”

42. Nicole says:

I love the smiles on the other kids. They are completely oblivious to their brother’s misery.

43. Amanda says:

Awwww, poor Tiny Tim :(

44. kelly says:

“And that’s when I realized, I wasn’t the favorite.”

45. James says:

I can appreciate the parents’ reasoning when they initially made the decision. That kid will probably outgrow any bike they got him in about 2 weeks, but it’s still kinda sad. Funny, but sad. Poor little guy.

46. caddie says:

This is just tooo sad….why am I chuckling….

47. skeye says:

I had a Christmas like this. Everyone got LaserTag. I got a sweatshirt.

48. Tippy says:

His little face, that is so sad!! I’m depressed now………

49. KG says:

Should have got Timmy a Big Wheel.

50. Penny says: