Curly Sue

May 3rd, 2012

Curly Sue - Misc

When what you were born with will not do.

(submitted by Desi)

21 Responses to “Curly Sue”

1. Brandi says:

An Ogilvie home perm!

2. Denise says:

Yeah, well I had naturally wavy and thick hair, and Mom had the beautician put in one of those smelly, horrible permanents! Lilt I think it was called. My hair was like a brillo pad! AND they cut my bangs so short they were little more than a fringe. A fringe with a scrubby attached! Gawd~~~

3. Kash says:

My mom is a hair stylist and a was the recipient of regular perms from about 18 months (no lie) until I was 12 and convinced my mom the 80s were over. The only really unpleasant part if the process is that the neutralizing agent feels like ice water being dumped on your head. I mean aside from the resulting hair style – that’s pretty awful too. She started so early because my hair was so fine/thin and she thought this made it look thicker.

4. babydoll says:

It was embarrassing for me because as a boy my mother would give me these really curly perms a week before school. She thought curls would “make me look sweet”. Girls would always tease me by putting ribbons in my hair on the bus, and the boys thought I was a total wimp!

5. Tamera says:

I had almost erased the memories of home perms (starting when I was about 5). Gads, the torture we endured back in the good old days.

6. LiSA says:

My dear mother thought she was a beautician and she adored using the white, lilac and orange rods. I swear I thought she was trying to kill me between being unable to breathe, the magic “Tonette” lotion eating my skin away and a aching head- full of the tightest curls north of the Red River! Every photo I looked like Ronald McDonald native cousin- not cool in Oklahoma.LOL

• Lori says:

Lisa I feel your pain ! My mom was the same way , those toni perms were a nightmare from hell to say the least . As an okie my self i know what your saying . She had me in a plaid dress lookin like ronald mcdonald thinking i was so adorable so many scratchy itchy sweaters and turtle necks im having 80s flash backs !

7. John says:

This looks like that “retraining” scene from A Clockwork Orange. All that’s needed are the eye specula and a mad doctor with an eyedropper.

8. carol says:

love the subtitle!

9. TaraMisu says:

Oh yes, the memories of home perms…. that smell will always be stuck in my nose. I used to get Toni Home Perms, always looked like it was done at home too LOL

10. MRE says:

When I looked at this picture, I actually could smell the acrid setting lotion and feel the unrelenting pull of those cursed curlers that actually seemed to get tighter as the night went on. I (not) fondly remember the annual torture my two little sisters and I endured getting these blasted things. Every Easter we looked like three little poodles. Ahh, the good old days!

11. Caitlin says:

Good god this brings back memories of constantly having my hair yanked and pulled and curled and twisted and all sorts of mean, nasty, ugly things. I got my revenge, though- when I was 16 I tried trimming the hair that was growing back from my half-buzzed head, and my mom had to use an electric leg shaver to shave the rest. I think she gave up after that.

12. Michele says:

This brings back flashbacks of horrible home perms my mom would torture me with.

13. charlie says:

i remember looking just like that after my dad cut our hair the day before school pictures. My sister and I looked like someone held our heads to a metal fan and let it cut…………
    At least she can take the rollers out ours had to grow out…………..

14. Bella says:

And people think Toddlers and Tiara’s is bad. We had to sleep in stuff like that. Nothing like the good nights sleep that comes from wearing brush rollers to bed.

15. joannabanana says:

Beauty is pain.

16. Bonnie says:

Oh the painful memories this brings! Not only were those rods torture, but the solution smelled to high heaven and burned.

17. Leslie says:

I so feel your pain! My mom made me get perms all the time as a kid and I hated it. It always looked like a big old mess!

18. Root 66 says:

It’s painful to be beautiful…it REALLY is!!

19. LKT says:

And here we have a fine example of the Aqua Wave Home Permanent Kit used by mothers everywhere.

I feel for ya’ kid.

20. deb says:

Awww, I bet that hurts :( My mom used to torture me like that and there would always be hairs being pulled out by too-tight curlers. Makes me wish I’d rebelled more as a kid.