Pretty In Pink 5

May 24th, 2012

Pretty In Pink 5 - Behind The Awkwardness

“In the fall of ’85, when I was a junior in high school, a new, slick student asked me to go to Homecoming. I was smitten and immediately said yes. After my mother bought me a rather expensive (and fluffy) dress, the slick boy of my dreams asked someone else and dumped me. I was embarrassed and heartbroken. A few days later one of the nicest and most popular seniors in the entire school asked me to go to homecoming in the hall. While it was painfully obvious that he had been roped into it by a parent or my bigger brother, I agreed to his self-sacrifice. We ended up double-dating with one of the girls in my class and her senior boyfriend, and I had a wonderful time. He even kissed me good night, in that polite, “you weren’t a bad pity day” sort of way that good guys do.

John, wherever you are, you were my red-headed knight in shining armor. And sunglasses. So no one knew it was you who was with me. I bet you turned out wonderfully.”

(submitted by Daphne)

See more glorious 80′s photos in our Rock Of Ages photo contest here.

89 Responses to “Pretty In Pink 5”

1. Jason says:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like a young Ronnie Milsap with those glasses?

2. irishmary24 says:

You’re gorgeous! And it’s nice to hear some guys are beautiful too!

3. Harry says:

There is nothing more devastating than getting dumped before prom as I seen it happen. But you, you are gorgeous!! And your date sounded like it went well. Like the others have said, please change your thoughts on that night as being nothing but the great time you described. Both of you look great as that was the look of the time. As far as I’m concerned that was a perfect picture of both of you representing the awesome 80′s. Too bad you couldn’t get a twenty year reunion picture as I’m sure lots of these people here would love to see that.

4. JMixx says:

Okay, the dress *is* dated. The pose has that “I’m a professional photographer but not good enough to be in New York in a gallery so I am awkwardly posing high school students for revenge” look.

YOU are beautiful and slim. If this guy went out with you on a “pity date,” those sunglasses are because he is blind.

5. Denise says:

WOW! Not 1 mean comment in the 10 or so I read! I agree with them all, rethink you’re memory of that time.

6. Suzanne says:

I think you’re a victim of wrong- thinking! And for so many years! Youre beautiful( the dress was very 80s, but pretty) in this photo. There was no need for a pity date and I doubt if thats true. So you need to look back and change this story in your head. The only awkward thing is the sunglasses.

7. Elizabeth says:

I thought it was the other way around—that you took pity on him!! You are beautiful!!

8. Minnie Yasmin says:

i was going through the pics and i clicked on this pic to see it much clearer just to envy ur beauty! i thought the guy in the pic was awkward(sorry to say) and you look stunningly Gorgeous!! I agree with other comments u did him a Great Big Favor!!

9. Jake says:

Um, you were the beautiful one. This guy looks like one of those band people.

10. Jaz says:

I’m not sure why you needed a pitty date. You are gorgeous! He was lucky to have such a knockout on his arm

11. Kim says:

You looked wonderful!! NOT A PITY DATE! at all…he looks like kinda a chump….you were stunning!

12. Stacy says:

How sweet. Your dress was lovely and you were beautiful. So glad you ended up having a good time.

13. george p says:

You where a knockout! Did you graduate in 87 ? Thats when I was in school and you are probly still a Beut! Thank you for the wonderful story! By the way, youre date reminds me of some guitarist from the band ‘The Cars’ ….Chris so and so (cant remember his last name)

14. Yasemin says:

What a great guy! I hope you find out what happened to him!

15. cps says:

You look beautiful! You rock the 80′s hair and dress!

16. Joan says:

Honestly, before I read the story, I thought you took him to homecoming out of pity. You were, and probably still are, gorgeous!
    And yes, hair, makeup and dress are all 80′s perfection!

17. Stephanie says:

Pity date?! Daphne was a stunner (and I bet she still is), that dumb guy missed out. And Mr. Sunglasses wasn’t no dog either.

18. Stacey says:

It must be something about that shade of pink. I got dumped for my prom, too, and my dress was very similar to yours. I had a mutual friend ask me out in my date’s place, and he was very sweet to me the entire evening. I wish I hadn’t lost contact with him.

19. David says:

I have to agree with others. I’m gay, but I would have been honored to have such a drop dead gorgeous woman on my arm, had I been him.

20. Bev says:

When you first started out with the explanation and mentioned pity date I thought it was the reverse and the guy got a beautiful girl to go out with him for a pity date.

21. Ariana says:

did you steal my mom’s prom photo? She looks just like you and she said her date wore sunglasses!

22. TB says:

Pity date, my foot. You are gorgeous! He lucked out that you were available.

23. Will says:

The way I see it it was reversed, I don’t see how you got dumped and I don’t see how he was that popular. I think he was the lucky one look at him and look at you, and he had the nerves to wear shades.

24. Hope says:

The only other thing might be the fact that he looks like a floating head , blending into the black background, and the pose looks a bit uncomfortable. But you are absolutely gorgeous! 80′s hair and makeup perfection!

25. Donna says:

You look beautiful in the photograph. I seriously don’t see why getting a date for that night would have been a problem. Admittedly, the dress is a bit fluffed but that was the style for the mid eighties. The only thing disturbing thing about the photo is your date wearing the sunglasses

26. Ron says:

I pity the fool who dumped you, absolute knockout.