The Potpourri

February 3rd, 2010

The Potpourri - Family Portrait

A little something in here for everyone.

(submitted by Colin)

120 Responses to “The Potpourri”

1. Sonn says:

My best guess is that Stripes, the guy in the tinted glasses, and the two women in perms on the end (red and green sweaters) are all siblings. They definitely have some similar facial characteristics. The others would all be spouses, and this would be – as someone said above – the Olan Mills photo for mom and dad.

And actually, I don’t think this photo is that bad. Bad 80′s fashion, yes. But they do look like a happy group, and God knows we’ve seen more awkwardness!

2. Jeff B. says:

Ah, the Ringling Brothers are in town….and so are the sisters.

3. Jessica says:

I’ve never had to scroll back and forth from the picture to your comments so often..

4. Lee says:

This is the best one yet.

5. Pret24 says:

My best guess: Bangs and Lap Dance (the man whose groin she’s grinding) are a couple. Stripes and White Sweater Vest are a couple. Blue Sweater Vest and Red Sweater Perm are a couple. Stripes, RSP, GSP, and Bangs are sisters. Mullet with the half tie? Well, he was someone they found on the bus so Grandma wouldn’t ask too many questions about why Green Sweater Perm doesn’t have a man yet.

6. metoo says:

fashion aside, i think the major awkwardness is the sitting position of the middle couple, and how uncomfortable and unrelated everyone looks!

7. Gadget says:

My son said, “Is that really how they look every day?”

8. Risa says:

I find it hilarious how no one notice how NONE of them look alike..I know there are families of allllll kinds,but really?! &why is the lady in green holding her arm?! or where the hell are they all looking?!

9. nite owl says:

Am I the only one who sees that weird string hanging from the top of the picture? Or is this just a scratch on the picture? I NEED to know!

• Steph says:

Definitely a scratch. Also, there appear to be pushpin holes and impression marks in the corners, which means somebody had this thing hanging up on a bulletin board, in full view of the public. Whyyyyyyyyy!?!?

10. John says:

I wonder what the parents look like lol

11. Janoosh says:

I only see bad fashion, no awkwardness

12. Jason says:

This is America in the 1980s or Canada today.

• chevygirl says:

yeah doorknob a lot of Canadians look like that…WT*? geez maybe when we come out of our igloos we can see the white man coming to show us how to use a LIGHTER to get FIRE………..

• CB says:

I dunno, I live in Southwestern Ontario, and I could name a specific town (but won’t for possibly offending someone) that seems to be a perfect blast back to the ’80′s. Let’s just say you can always spot someone from said town. Anyone from Chatham-Kent knows which place I’m talking about, I’m sure…..otherwise, I would in generaly agree that US stereotypes of Canada are for the most part rooted in ignorance.

13. Miss Jane says:

“I like her bangs.”

14. subtle says:

Salesmen & Secretaries.

15. Sara22 says:

Is that Ross Gellar on the right??

16. Safou says:

One eye is staring at me!!

One to rule them all!

17. Mary says:

I just love the way they thought so much of the photo you can see the thumbtack holes in the corner…not even worth framing????

18. rwblake says:

This was the 80′s everything was awkward then. That is what it was all about.
    Why are all these people looking off to the side? What is the point of that. It is like when you talk to a person and they have trouble looking you in the eye.

And oh, those 70′s hold over shaded glasses with the guy on the front left. He thought he was the persona of cool to get that special shading. And the short sleeves that make it seem like his shirt is too small, where did you find that gem?

Guy on upper left, you forgot the memo to make sure you have a mustache.

19. Shawn says:

Why is the guy in the back with the glasses the only one actually looking at the camera?

20. norm says:

Now THIS one has to be Photoshopped, none of those people look like they’ve ever been in the same room together.

21. Dan Brennan says:

If I had to guess on the family relationships based on appearances, I’d say the unrelated spouses are the two guys in the back and the girl seated in the front. The guy with the mullet and the girl in the green sweater are single siblings. The rest are siblings married to the individual closest to them. I suspect this was a Christmas photo gift for Mom and Dad.

22. Keith says:

Like a fine Bordeaux, this picture reveals greater complexity and nuance the longer it is enjoyed. Delicious.

23. Nancy says:

I wonder what is so interesting that everyone is looking at off to the side? Hello, look at the camera!

24. Dan Brennan says:

What the heck are they all looking at off to the left?

25. Nick says:

I really need to know the relationship of the 3 in the center. Why is middle girl shoved into the crotch of tinted-shades guy whose moustache doesn’t quite meet in the center. Why is teal girl with the heavily permed Dorothy Hamil cut holding onto middle girl for dear life? Are they sisters? I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!

• carol says:

I guess it was either clutch the other woman’s arm, or lay her hand on that guy’s leg. No other place for her arm/hand really.

26. PissedChef says:

I think that this photo shows us exactly why there is a hole in the zone layer. Aqua net, need I say more???

27. justin says:

“The Cool Kids”

28. peej1966 says:

Mullets and perms and pleats — oh my!

29. Jennifer says:

Why are none of them actually looking at the camera? what are they looking at? That actually disconcerts me even more than all the weird poses and great fashion sense.

30. durhay says:

Looks like Mullet is ready for some potent potables.

31. Nan says:

The shining glory that was 1982.

32. ppplumba says:

Striped-shirt girl is holding her fingers strangely…

33. Katie says:

Loving the mullet with the short tie. Nice.

34. lavagirl says:

Oh yeah, and the girl in the green sweater looks like she is holding on to the girl in the middle. Do you think she is trying to get away from the short black tie guy…

35. lavagirl says:

brothers, sisters, couples, friends???? I really hope they didn’t pay for this picture… :) loving the guy at the end with the short black tie… he really dressed up for the occasion…

So seriously the more I look at this I wonder, was there supposed to be a theme????

36. Beanie says:

Ah, I love it! It’s like an assortment of candies, I don’t know which one to dive into first!

37. tony14 says:

This photo gives me bad flashbacks to our annual Olan Mills visits.
    “Dad you sit on this stool here, now turn at this angle, good. Now Mom you sit on this stool here. Yes Dad is straddling you! We’re at Olan Mills and that’s the law here!”

38. Kim says:

I love the 80′s! (I wonder where they are now?)

39. Chadillac says:

I’m guessing this was taken in 1986??

40. Dianne says:

all it needs in an armshelf, or a compound bow….regulation sized of course.

41. cheez says:

Is this a cast photo from the Real Live Brady Bunch touring co.?

42. Judi says:

All hail the almighty Mullet!

43. Joey says:

How Olan Mills ever made it in the photography business is beyond me. Next to Wal-Mart and K-Mart, they are the worst photographers on the planet. Whose idea WAS this?
    All I can say is….UGGHHH!!!!!

44. Penny Dreadful says:

I’ll take one of each, thank you.

45. HB says:

Tie tack on a knit tie…now that’s haute couture!

46. Bex says:

Oh dear god, I don’t know where to start. This has made my day…thank you!

47. jj says:

would someone point out the awkardness for me…

• Maria says:

Point out the awkwardness??!!

Let’s start with the “pee stance” as noted above. Let us continue with the awkward tilt of head by the gentleman in the middle back. We’ll move on to the uncomfortably “close” way in which the front middle male and female are sitting. And why is teal sweater lady holding the arm of girl with tightly pulled back hair?? Awkward all around. And yes, I know that bad fashion doesn’t awkward make but….that tie on mullet man??!! I’ll bet it was a knit tie.

• Kelly says:

The awkwardness is all over in this picture. The sheer mismatched group of people along with their appearance and way of sitting by (or perhaps on, as in the case with the people in the front row) one another is just awkward. The two guys in the back and the one with the mullet are by far the most awkward in my opinion.

• t123 says:

Standard ’80s-era group portrait. Nothing that awkward. Pink-stripe girl needed to do something with her hands, so she held onto her fingers. No big whoop. And yeah, people had mullets then. Next…

• Steph says:

Let’s also note that the photographer, for whatever reason, seems to have placed himself to the far right of his subjects. This sometimes works for an individual portrait where the purpose is to make the subject look wistful or pensive. It is just annoying to have an entire group of people (except for Big Boy in the back) staring off into the corner. And, am I wrong to think that blue sweater vest is about to do a head flick to knock that wayward lock off hair on his forhead back into place?

• tbag says:

If you truly have to ask what is awkward about this photo, I don’t think this site is for you.

48. Pam says:

The woman in the striped sweater looks like she’s gotta go! really–hurry up and take the picture before she has an accident!

49. Bill says:

sweet mullet

50. Mollz says:

The girl on the left looks like she’s doing the pee dance