The Wedding Party

January 17th, 2014

The Wedding Party - Wedding

“This is a wedding of some family friends. Some if my family is part of the wedding party. I wasn’t born yet. You can see the unhappiness in some of the bridal parties faces, like they know who embarrassing this is going to look.”

(submitted by Elizabeth)

47 Responses to “The Wedding Party”

1. Jo says:

I photographed a big Italian wedding in St. Louis that was pretty much identical to this. Nothing about this photo is really remarkable to me. The early 90′s bridal fashions are typical.

2. kristin says:

Nor a match for the sleeves–yowza!

3. wendy says:

That’s a lot of people. I’d be scoping out the exits after about an hour of too much togetherness. And all that pink. Dear god. When my husband and I were planning our wedding, his younger daughter asked me what my “theme” was going to be. I answered “get married. That’s the theme”. She looked at me like I had two heads. We had 11 people including the pastor, and nine at the reception meal. He can’t stand big crowds either, so I believe I have met my soulmate.

• colleen says:

It’s not even all of them!! On the sides you can see more pink sleeves of more bridesmaids that got cropped out of this shot

4. Teal says:

Wow! That’s a lot of…pink.

5. elizabeth says:

This is Totally wild… the pink, the puffy & the amount of gosh! It’s quite a production, that’s for sure. I can’t imagine how long it took the photographer to stage this scene & get everyone in place. All that Pink….my gosh. Even if they/she went kind of overboard, I hope that they are still happily married.

6. Effy says:

Awkward does not mean embarrassing.
    Old fashioned things may embarrass some…but it certainly isn’t awkward.

7. Lilly says:

I was in a wedding *very* similar to this in the 80′s; big hair, puffy sleeves, huge train, and another 400+ people at the reception!!

8. Erin says:

I bet whole hair spray factories were used in the styling of the ladies. wow. glad we dont do that to our hair any more

9. Virg says:

AND it looks like a couple more bridesmaids got cropped off the sides of the picture. That’s a gosh-awful huge wedding party, and the gosh-awfulness of the dresses just multiplies the effect. BTW I don’t think those are supposed to be faces in the lace at the end of the train, just fancy medallion-like things …

10. Jane says:

I don’t see anything particularly awkward or worthy of making fun of in this pic. It’s just a wedding from somewhere back in the 80s. It’s a bit overblown and long out of style but this was the style back then and it’s probably in line dollar wise with some of the “productions” being put on today. I hope it’s still a special memory to the bride and groom in the pic.

11. Penny says:

And I thought my wedding party of 7 couples was huge… LOL

12. Russ says:

Truvy: What are your colors, Shelby?

Shelby: My colors are “blush” and “bashful.”

M’Lynn: Her colors are “pink” and pink.”

Shelby: My colors are “blush” and “bashful” Mama!

M’Lynn: How precious is this weddin’ gonna get, I ask you?

13. Vicky says:

Apparently the brides signature colors were “Blush and Bashful”!

14. alicia says:

I would like to know who the faces on the train of the dress belong to?? Are they family members, friends, celebrities??? I know I will not get an answer, but it would be nice!!

15. Yevska says:

The elite Pink Puffy Sleeve Guard may smile sweetly but each sleeve holds a deadly weapon! Never cross the PPSG!

16. Jenny says:

When my parents got married, my mom wore that same exact wedding dress, and the bridesmaids wore similar dresses to the bridesmaids here, except in blue

17. caroliner says:

Were there any guests at the wedding or was everyone part of the bridal party?

18. ColleenD says:

Was there anyone sitting in the church. It looks as though everyone this couple knew was in the bridal party.

19. Mary M. says:

Yeah, I don’t really see anything so awkward either, aside from the huge wedding party and the “faces” in the lace on the train. But I still like these 80′s dresses rather than the standard strapless numbers that are pretty much the standard these days!

20. Pamela says:

to me this just says Southern wedding in the 80s all over it.

• raych says:

I wouldn’t say it was just southern. I’m from Michigan and this is almost every wedding I attended from 1987-1991, even the ones that weren’t huge Catholic, Italian families.

21. Kimberlee Brandon says:

LOL…I feel sorry for the parents who had to pay for everything!

22. Jill says:

ummmm….. look at the faces on the end of the train…

23. Billie says:

I’m not really sure how this is awkward. This is a classic wedding pose. :/

24. barb says:

Look at those gawdawful bridesmaid dresses….and so many of them.

25. LadyB says:

Holy wedding party from hell, Batman!

26. Jennifer says:

Nothing odd about this photo! Absolutely gorgeous!

27. Nette says:

Speaking as a child of the 80′s, I LOVE this picture! The train is kind of weird because it looks like faces at the bottom. But the colors and the dresses are gorgeous! Oh how I miss poofy hair!!

28. Erin H. says:

No match for the train?!
    What about the puffy sleeves?!

29. Karen says:

The pink taffeta industry has yet to recover.

30. Jodi says:

Looks almost identical to my wedding party. Both in size, dress color and hair styles! Early 80′s for sure.

31. Scout C says:

That’s a whole lotta pink sleeve pouf going on. Late 80′s—YEAH!