Into Thin Air

November 3rd, 2010

Into Thin Air - Kids

Ulla was about to learn her first lesson in mountain climbing… never leave too much slack.

(submitted by Ulla)

47 Responses to “Into Thin Air”

1. rebekah says:

My brother and me always did this and in way way more dangerous situations. Like on the side of busy roads where there was an incline and a place to tie the rope. Yikes now I have kids I realize what a bad idea that was. Although neither of us got hurt. Well not doing that.

2. Lisa :) says:

At least a picture was captured of the “Event!” When our daughter was probably about that age, I heard a big crash in her bathroom. I went racing upstairs, to find that she had tied a rope on the hook on the bathroom door and was trying to scale it. When I could stop laughing, I made sure she was o.k (she was–only her pride was hurt–i.e. bum!) and the hook was off the door. We still laugh about it, and now she loves to hang off of real cliffs–so you just never know what this child went on to do!! :D

3. CNicole says:

My 3 year old would totally do this (without the rope!). She has no fear and has done similar on our much smaller staircase (I stop her as soon as I find her on them and tell her it is dangerous) Just because kids do stuff like that when our backs are turned (for whatever reason) does not make neglectful parents. Kids don’t understand risks and don’t realize something they find fun/funny can be dangerous. Parents can’t hover over their kids 24-7, nothing would get done and kids wouldn’t have a chance to figure things out on their own, or gain any independence.

4. Noneya says:

Come on…we did that without a safety rope. :D

5. carly says:

Am I the only one who did this ALL THE TIME when I was little?

6. Pokerpace says:

Its the Fisher Price Home Bungee Jumping kit.

7. carol says:

In her imagination, she’s scaling a mountain. It’s cute.

8. Evija says:

I don`t believe that I couldn`t imagine something like that in my childhood :D

9. steph says:

My first thought when I saw this photo was of the Price is Right game where the little guy yodels one step for every dollar.

10. Eva says:

Bethany: Ha ha ha! I bet the world seems like a dangerous place to you.. it can’t be a nice experience.

11. jlouise says:

I would have done something like that when I was nine.

12. doreen says:

Ramona Quimby: Age 8.

13. susie says:

There are some neglectful parents, but no awkwardness.

• 1 of 5 Girls says:

Let’s see…raised in the 50′s and 60′s…rode in the back of a truck with the family dog, climbed trees (and fell out of them), climbed bookcases for the fun of it, played on the roof of the house and watched fireworks from there too, slid down the slide into the pool head first (got the knot on my head to prove it), rode on the handle bars of a bicycle (okay…I did fall into the street in front of a car and gave him a heart attack; I count myself lucky on this one), rode a handmade boxcar down a hill with no brakes, played outside all over the block until we heard the whistle, climbed up stairs outside the railing without a rope, and more. One of my sisters put the broken end of a broom stick into her foot while planting a flag for the conquerers of the mountain (in our backyard)…

I can see the eyes rolling…but it sure was fun. We came away with bruises and scars sometimes, but our parents made sure we made it out alive. Bad things do happen, but this is tame and the parents are not neglectful. You can’t bubble wrap your kids.

• Hannah Kirchner says:

Your life is my life as well.

I plied the neighborhood kids with homemade bows and arrows (the arrows fletched and tipped with rocks). They had an incredible arc but you could hit a target. I know. I pretended my sister was a deer, and I was an Indian chasing her on imaginary horseback. The deer turned to stick her tongue out at me just as I let an arrow fly. Hit her right between the eyes.

Later, as Chief Lone Wolf, I was giving orders to my braves, and thrust my (sharpened branch) spear into the ground for emphasis. The spear cut me right between the toes. But a proud Indian doesn’t cry.

Riding on the handlebars of a bicycle, I was barefoot and accidentally let my toes dangle into the spokes. Left a blood trail up the street and was cut to the bone.

Climbed a tree. Fell out. And hug by one leg upside down until Mom could free me.

Broke my wrist falling off a clothes line pole. Yeah, explain that one.

And hopped box cars as they slowed through town. (If my parents knew, my hide would have been skinned for sure. I told them 25 years later. Wanted to put plenty of time between the act.)

So, yes. I had a great child hood. And after awhile NOTHING bothered my mom. And they were both great parents. Not neglectful at all. I simply had a real childhood. Somewhere between Opie Taylor and Huck Finn.

• June says:

It’s really too bad kids today can’t have the childhoods those of baby boomers and before had. We really played and had fun.

• 1 of 5 Girls says:

I loved reading your stories…”the deer turned to stick her tongue out at me just as I let an arrow fly…” Too funny. Obviously, she made it out alive with YOU around as well. Unfortunately, we didn’t have box cars on Oahu, but had there been, I’m sure my sisters and I would have been there right with you! =)

• Marie-Claude says:

Well, I grew up in the ’80′s and we had wonderful childhood moments like this too. We’d build snow forts and play king of the mountain, throwing each other off the snowy slope, tobagganing, or run around the neighborhood at night playing with water guns and hiding. We’d play hockey in the middle of the street and yell “car”. Now of course it wasn’t as adventurous as some of your stories, but we were allowed to be kids: riding our bikes way past dark without helmets, drinking the water directly from the hose, not wearing sunscreen lotion, getting sun-burned at the beach and pool. And the parks…they used to be for the courageous. now they’re very lame. We’d fly off the swings while still in motion, or climb on top of the monkey bars, not just hang off of them. Kids these days have too much technology to mimick real life. They don’t see the point in actually doing stuff, but this is what real childhoods are made of.
            Still, in my neighborhood, I still see remnants of an era gone by: kids drawing on the sidewalks with chalk, playing street hockey, biking without helmets…but society has seriously cramped the fun out of…fun. It’s like they say in “Finding Nemo”: if nothing ever happens to you, nothing will ever happen to you…not much fun in that.

14. j-lu says:

I think this is so sweet!! Yes, kids fall; you have to let it happen!
    I miss real playgrounds…

15. Tim S says:

Next challenge: Staircase Falls in Yosemite!

16. Ashley says:

Did she grow up in the Brady Bunch house?

17. Mike says:

There could be a gaping pit below where she tied the rope. We don’t know.

18. Don says:

Diary: Day 2- I have decided today that I will summit come heck or high water. I have left basecamp (after unloading the diswasher) and have made the necessary preparations. I will leave my trusted Sherpa behind (Timmy has a baseball game at 6pm and besides we aren’t talking right now) and make the ascent myself. I will make the climb barefooted which is causing my sponsors some angst (c’mon Dad I’m almost 9 yrs old now!). I look up and see the goal before me. This will be a wonderful moment when I stand…oh crap. This will have to wait. Glee is on. Be back soon

• Babs says:

Winner winner chicken dinner!

• Kate says:

• JKH says:

Brilliant commentary. Loved it!

• Elizabeth says:

Beautiful! This is my kids. They don’t like climbing up normally. They MUST climb banisters or the foundations of banisters in lieu of actual stairs. Even the baby. This is a great idea, as it beats just going up with hands.

“There are some neglectful parents, but no awkwardness.”

Jesus Christ. As if this were somehow worse than what 95% of the country is doing, which is letting their kids watch about 3 times the recommended amount of television and video games. Give me an adventurous climber to a boring worry-wart any day. Someone has to climb Everest! IT’S THERE!

• MommaT says:

Hey, how can I spend so much time on the internet unless my kids are watching tv, eh?

• Brian says:

You hit the nail on the head. As a kid, I did things like this nearly every day, and frankly, if this is the most dangerous thing that child does, these parents have it easy.

19. Bethany says:

umm I can’t really see the awkwardness of this photo. I just see a kid about to get seriously hurt…am i missing something?